Three "at Home" (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
How did you log into Orange? My 3 sim seems to only connect to Bytel or 20815, which I am on at the moment. I do not seem to have an option to choose a service provider it connects automatically.

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
on my Android Nexus7 it asked me to log in when i did it went to Orange login page, input admin admin then it warned me that roaming is expensive i clicked ok and that was it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
I am using a Huawei unlocked mifi so things may be different but I have found in the past that other networks seem to have problems with Orange. Europasim will not connect to Orange.

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
had problems before with unlocked mi fi so now have my French SFR contract one, a Vodaphone one and now a 3 one!
not cheap but I have a choice wherever i am and they just "work"!!!

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
How do you log in to orange when it's a 3 sim card? I thought they were different companies? I'm interested as I have 3 and an orange sim, I expect to use my 3 'at home' from Sunday as I'm going to France and I'm interested how I'll use it.

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
err no! i clicked connect on my 3 mi fi then my nexus asked me to log in. when i clicked to do that THEN the Orange login page came up.

I assume it is a 3 partner for "at home"

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Very pleased with our three phone contracts..worked seamlessly in France and Spain recently...

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I am thinking of going with Three mobile as the feel at home thing seems very attractive. Only problem is they don't allow tethering outside the UK but I was wondering if anyone has tried it, how would they know anyway that you re using your iPhone for tethering to a laptop. Any comments?

Dec 5, 2013
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I am thinking of going with Three mobile as the feel at home thing seems very attractive. Only problem is they don't allow tethering outside the UK but I was wondering if anyone has tried it, how would they know anyway that you re using your iPhone for tethering to a laptop. Any comments?

If you have a 3 contract with all you can eat data you can use 4Mb per month from your allowance when abroad (that's what my contract says)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I bought 3 payg sim card for a phone then tried it in my mifi and it worked for a couple of days then it would only show a wrist slapping message from 3 telling me to put the sim back in my phone! So the answer is - they know what you are doing with it.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Select Mobile Hotspot on your phone and connect via that. Three works fine, dont know how many times this question has been asked, but it appears every couple of weeks or so.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I have a 3 sim card in my tablet phone and tether it to my Macbook for blog updates when abroad. Probably only use 20 to 30 mb for uploading each day but never had a problem yet.

Also I found 3 really slow in Italy this year.....

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Select Mobile Hotspot on your phone and connect via that. Three works fine, dont know how many times this question has been asked, but it appears every couple of weeks or so.

I know questions have been asked previously about Three but I don't recall anything about tethering outside the UK, which as I understand things Three say you cannot do. Are you saying you have tethered outside the uk from a smartphone and it worked fine? "Chocsaway" says it does, what was your experience ?

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
had problems before with unlocked mi fi so now have my French SFR contract one, a Vodaphone one and now a 3 one!
not cheap but I have a choice wherever i am and they just "work"!!!

Ken for France if you have Orange internet at home then there are loads of Orange hotspots which you can log in to Using you home e mail as the address they ask for and your home orange password.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I know questions have been asked previously about Three but I don't recall anything about tethering outside the UK, which as I understand things Three say you cannot do. Are you saying you have tethered outside the uk from a smartphone and it worked fine? "Chocsaway" says it does, what was your experience ?
I bought a Three pay as you go data sim las time I was in the UK and it worked fine on our journey home in France

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994

Yes we do it. It works.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I bought a Three pay as you go data sim las time I was in the UK and it worked fine on our journey home in France
Does this need to be activated in the uk before travel please?

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Have 3 away from home on a Huawei router just used it on our 6 weeks trip.
Worked brilliantly everywhere but like someone said was slower than usual in Italy. In Italy last September it was quite quick, sat on Calais dock now and its super fast.
Good bit of kit IMO

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
No, we live in Spain and we just pop it in a mifi or leave it in the phone, we use both, Spain has only recently joined the scheme, in the past we have gone into France and used Three as our mobile internet. Never had the problems some Funsters have written about. PAYG Data sim, cannot fault it.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Have 3 away from home on a Huawei router just used it on our 6 weeks trip.
PAYG Data sim, cannot fault it.
Can is ask Rory, and Jumar please,
1.What's the best deal on a PAYG 3 sim?
And,
2. Does it need to be used in the UK, before going abroad to one of the countries listed in their "At Home" scheme?

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
3gig for 90 day sim is around £21 unless you spot a cheaper one on fleabay.
I did not activate mine before leaving the UK and got the Orange log in page when I tried, unfortunately I did not know the log in was Admin, Admin so never got to use it. I assume therefor that you do NOT need to activate before leaving the UK though you may need to activate roaming on your mifi if it is an older one.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Hi Jock got the router for £40.00 and pay £7.00 a month for 7 gig I think but had it a few years.
Currently on ferry in channel and still working.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Our 3 sim is in a phone (tablet, but still a phone). It is a PAYG that can be topped up online. With each £5 top up you get 150 mb of free data (handy as no expiry time)..... so to be really canny top up just £5 then again if you have used all the data ;)

For trips of 4 weeks or more we trade the top up for 'All you can eat' at £15 for one month (will expire after one month) which gives unlimited data, 300 minutes and 3000 texts.

3's official line is no tethering but I just 'get on, tether' get off........... they haven't caught me yet ;)(y)

Why don't you try it and see?.... it won't break the bank;)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
3gig for 90 day sim is around £21 unless you spot a cheaper one on fleabay.
I did not activate mine before leaving the UK and got the Orange log in page when I tried, unfortunately I did not know the log in was Admin, Admin so never got to use it. I assume therefor that you do NOT need to activate before leaving the UK though you may need to activate roaming on your mifi if it is an older one.
Hi Jock got the router for £40.00 and pay £7.00 a month for 7 gig I think but had it a few years.
Currently on ferry in channel and still working.
Our 3 sim is in a phone (tablet, but still a phone). It is a PAYG that can be topped up online. With each £5 top up you get 150 mb of free data (handy as no expiry time)..... so to be really canny top up just £5 then again if you have used all the data ;)

For trips of 4 weeks or more we trade the top up for 'All you can eat' at £15 for one month (will expire after one month) which gives unlimited data, 300 minutes and 3000 texts.

3's official line is no tethering but I just 'get on, tether' get off........... they haven't caught me yet ;)(y)

Why don't you try it and see?.... it won't break the bank;)
Thanks all. :)

I've got the unlocked 4G MiFi, so just need the micro sim, then I have the choice of using either the tablet or laptop.
I like the idea of PAYG rather than the contract, as I'm not a mobile phone user really, and as a BT customer, I often get my free BT WiFi/BT FON when out in the MH, unless I'm in a really rural location. Unfortunately 3 "At Home" doesn't appear to cover Germany, our next EU destination. :(

Thanks again,

Jock. :)

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Everything answered for me Jock, PAYG 3gb about £20 lasts 3 months, top up as and when. Not possible in Germany, yet.
Enjoy your travels.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back