Visited Chicken Run In 2014/15? (1 Viewer)

J&S

Free Member
May 8, 2015
Hurworth on Tees, Darlington
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Wentworth
Exp
Since 1982
Hi, can anybody give us an update on the Chicken Run campsite....

We prefer the CL / Rustic type campsites so plan a long stay over the winter 2015/16.

We cant find any up to date web sites photos or reviews on this campsite... and those we have found have got us a bit confused... Pitches for just 12 vans on one website but 50 Pitches on another for example.

We know its a newish site and still developing but how's it now?

If you have visited in late 2014 or later we would love to hear from you.....

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Not heard much about them for ages. I'd go with the 12 van version rather than 50. Its rustic, but there is power, you have water when the pump is switched on and the Elsan is a hole in the ground. Traditionally they are slow at answering emails but theywill get back to you eventually. We had a very nice stay there a few years ago, I'd probably not be welcome back though as I stopped them posting here after they continually spammed the forum.

OP
OP
J&S

J&S

Free Member
May 8, 2015
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Wentworth
Exp
Since 1982
Thanks Jim yes we have but would love to see more recent pics.
just noticed your first post... we have been in touch with them but as you say email is more like snail mail hi hi
did read they now have a shower block but guess we'll just have to stink if tgey dont !

Last edited:
M

Madwife

Deleted User
We emailed them a few times and phoned but never got a reply. If you are looking for somewhere really nice try Camperstop Messiness - near San bartholomue de Messiness - we loved it so much we ended up staying for 12 weeks! We are going back this winter again

Kath

Deleted User
Here are some pics taken by my brother in law Feb this year, he did not stay on the site but had a look round for us. We had a bad experience at the site regarding long term stays in 2012 and left, never to return. A search on here may turn up a thread from that time if you are interested. The shower and toilet that appeared at the time we were there consisted of a plastic shed with a shower connected to the nearby caravan and a porta potti. The big field gets very messy after rain.

DSCF1199.JPG DSCF1201.JPG DSCF1202.JPG DSCF1205.JPG DSCF1203.JPG

The drainage ditch is there for a reason.

The two caravans seen in the first pic are permanent, the one to the right is owned by the site.

These pics were taken at a time when most sites on the Algarve were packed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
We emailed them a few times and phoned but never got a reply. If you are looking for somewhere really nice try Camperstop Messiness - near San bartholomue de Messiness - we loved it so much we ended up staying for 12 weeks! We are going back this winter again

Kath

As Kath says, Camperstop Messines is really nice, run by a Dutch guy called Andy/Andre for whom nothing is too much trouble.
You will need solar though as there is no mains electricity(y)

Deleted User
These are a few pics of our set up, it could have been idyllic for us.

IMG_0431.JPG IMG_0428.JPG IMG_0429.JPG

Shower block? IMG_0423.JPG

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Andy and Lesley - who own the site. (y):)

They cooked a BBQ for the whole site whilst we stayed in 2013. We had a great time.

They had a little car in 2013 you could hire for a few Euro's a day.

DSC_0709_zpsryzuuixa.jpg

Taken from the hill opposite

DSC_0627_zpsfv7qfuzr.jpg

DSC_0628_zpsi2mcmkzj.jpg

DSC_0620_zpsw1y5ug6y.jpg

OP
OP
J&S

J&S

Free Member
May 8, 2015
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Wentworth
Exp
Since 1982
Thanks funsters... guess we'll just have to try it and decide weather to move on at the time... looks like rubber wellies may be required at times....

thanks for photo's more the better.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
will you be on site next winter JJ?

Not sure what you mean by "on site".

The usual (highly flexible) plan is for me to hang out on/near my tiny piece of land/orchard (QMJ) until around November time and then head south to escape Christmas.

All depends on who is where at any given time.

JJ :cool:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Think there's a bit of confusion here, the chicken run that used to post on here was a Portuguese bloke think it was Pedro ,definitely not English , everyone seemed to like him, never heard complaints before
Sorry cross posted again

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Think there's a bit of confusion here, the chicken run that used to post on here was a Portuguese bloke think it was Pedro ,definitely not English , everyone seemed to like him, never heard complaints before

That's incorrect, you're confused. The chickenrun owners are Scousers, definitely English.

Last edited:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
That's incorrect. The chickenrun guys are Scousers and definitely English.

As Jim says - Andy and Lesley definitely are scousers

and Pedro as far as I know is definitely Portuguese.

They have different sites in the Algarve.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
That's incorrect, you're confused. The chickenrun owners are Scousers, definitely English.
Sorry then, but the only people I had seen on here with a site was indeed Pedro, have since googled chicken run and seen the light(y)

M

Madwife

Deleted User
Here are some photos of the area around Camperstop
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Messines. Andy and Fran are very helpful and nothing is too much bother for them. We plan to be there for Christmas again this year.

Kath

M

Madwife

Deleted User
How long is a piece of string?! We went there for two weeks last winter and ended up staying for 12. We plan to have Christmas and new year there for definite but after that who knows. We have a wedding in Edinburg on 2 April so guess we will have to be back home by then!

Kath

OP
OP
J&S

J&S

Free Member
May 8, 2015
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Wentworth
Exp
Since 1982
We are booked into the Chicken Run for next winter... hope it proves to be ok.
Plan to drive the whole way down making use of many Aires sites on the way.

It'll be our first time in Portugul....

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
How long is a piece of string?! We went there for two weeks last winter and ended up staying for 12. We plan to have Christmas and new year there for definite but after that who knows. We have a wedding in Edinburg on 2 April so guess we will have to be back home by then!

Kath
Hi @Madwife are you still at camperstop messines? I'm thinking of visiting beginning of February and just had a couple of questions if I may

Thanks Dave

M

Madwife

Deleted User
Hi @dpsuk999

Yes we are still here along with Sundowners who I think may have answered your questions in another post. We will be here until 14 March before we set off for home.

Kath

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Hi @Madwife yes thanks they replied See you down there early February

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun