I Think I Might Need New Front Springs! (1 Viewer)

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
DSC_0019.JPG

And that's with nobody in it!

Any recommendations for decent springs? I will probably go for VB Comforts as Techno100 but they are a bit dear. They do say buy cheap, buy twice, but £646 fitted is a tad painful.

120 000 miles.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I had my done by a local truck workshop. Fitted me in within a couple of days and excellent price.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
120 000 miles.

Looking at your post, do you mean your steed has done 120,000 miles ? If so, and I take it your current springs are originals, then I'd say, do you expect to run another 120,000, if that is also the case, then I'd be fitting Pug or is your van Fiat, standard replacements ??

They ain't made a fool of you ? and probably the right price ? :)

£125 odds a pair (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The springs are pretty much like that from new where a 3.0 litre plant is used. Lucky ones had uprated springs first off. I see many low front ends every outing.
Mine were like that as I found a post on another forum by the previous owner enquiring about upgrades and that was not long after they bought it new.

They're not much over 30k miles here.
CA_01091418290048-L.jpg

After correction
CA_01091418292248-L.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bartyfixedit

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
I had my done by a local truck workshop. Fitted me in within a couple of days and excellent price.
I have a couple of local garages willing to do the work with labour costs just over the £200 mark. At That cost for labour there is no way I would attempt to change the springs at home. I lack the necessary spring compressors and the lifting gear.

What I don't want to do is spend the money on the Labour and ending up with springs no better than the existing. I have had a few bad experiences lately with cheap parts being no good. Hence my main question really is recommendations for springs.

OP
OP
Bartyfixedit

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
Andy's photos above demonstrate amply the problem I have. The Springs all round are tired, the vehicle having done so many miles. Typical for a UK vehicle the springs on the left-hand side of the vehicle are worse than those on the right side. I can easily remedy the rear with some air suspension, but in the process make a vehicle which is already nose down even more so.

Mine does indeed have the 3 L engine and it also has the extra high roof which adds quite a bit of weight in addition to M1 tested rock 'n' roll seats and sports craft swivels on both front seats. I have checked things out on the weighbridge and neither axle is too close to its limit ,the front is the closer.

I suppose I shall have to bite the bullet and go to the VB springs, they are the only way I can be confident of lifting the front ride height. Being a lock pocket I was just hoping someone might come along and say "Joe Bloggs" does a spring just like that for half the price. We can all dream:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
You could have a chat with the garage and see what they suggest

OP
OP
Bartyfixedit

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
You could have a chat with the garage and see what they suggest
I did. The problem is that the local garages cannot source the good quality springs and won't warrant the work if I have supplied the parts.
At the end of the day the cost difference is only £200 or so between local garage with cheap springs or VB's own agent fitting a warranted product that people on here have direct experience of.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back