My Last Towing, Trailer And Smartie Questions (1 Viewer)

Sep 9, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Summer 2014
I think it'll be my last let's see!

So, I've got my Smart car and picked up a Woodford trailer today - all set for some out and abouting?
Perhaps I'm being a little too precious with the Smartie, it's unmarked. However I can imagine it maybe getting a bit of blasting of road muck whilst being dragged about, is there such a thing as a tailored partial cover? I just need to protect the front end and I imagine a full cover will flap around a lot!

Any pointers on where to source, assuming such a thing exists?

Finally, trailer security. Any suggestions? I've bought a used SAS wheel clamp which ought, well I think so, to be sufficient deterrent when trailer is unattended. The ball hitch thingy has a cylinder lock which locks the release handle when hitched, just how secure it is I'm not sure. Any advice will be gratefully recieved:)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Hmm, yes that does sound a little precious:whistle::p Why not give it a few kicks before putting it on the trailer, at least that way you would know it was you that did it:p

Trailer security is something I am curious about also so I hope the next poster doesn't attempt humour as well:confused:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Just remembered something. Someone I know was fed up of fly splats so they put cling film over their luton and bonnet. Sorted the problem out. cheap solution if you can buy catering sized cling film rolls?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the sas clamp is easy to defeat. look for a full stop nemesis, which meets the sold secure standard. the built in bradley hitch lock can also be defeated

as for protecting the smartie why not look into clear vinyl wrap to protect the paint on the front whilst being towed

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Why would it get any more grubby than if you were driving it ?

Ok, its a bit closer to the van than you would normally drive but its a foot or more, maybe even 18 inch, higher so most of the crud will go underneath.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Why would it get any more grubby than if you were driving it ?

yes it will...

did you never see the pic that @Road Runner posted of his toad after driving from Wales to Billing Aqudrome.. ?:eek:

it was covered in brown mud.. .. impossible to tell even what colour it was..

I had a look for it but it is no longer viewable.. http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/what-car-do-you-tow.25598/page-2#post-344735

maybe he will post it again..

so yes.. they get covered in road dirt .. same as bikes on a rack do..

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Unless you are going to get a purpose made one, covers will get the wind under them a chaffe the paint...:(

If you are worried about dirt from being towed fit one of these, they do help considerably.. (y)

Broken Link Removed

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
I tow either my smart or iq on a Woodford trailer and have to say I've never noticed any kick back of muck etc from the mh. I do have mud flaps fitted on the rear wheels of the mh so maybe that helps.

As for security I use a hitch lock so it prevents anyone (or deterrs) anyone from either un hitching and stealing both the car and trailer if we stop en route and decide to walk round a town or when on a site and it prevents anyone from stealing just the trailer when in hitched.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Interesting read..

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed

Our motorhome came with a full-width "mud flap" in place. A little research helped us learn that the presumed protection a full length mud flap provides to a towed vehicle is highly debatable. In fact, evidence indicates that the closer the mud flap is to the surface of the road while underway, the more damage it will CAUSE as it "sweeps" up gravel & debris from the road surface. Consequently, it is recommended that these mud flaps be at least 4" above the road surface. (The full-length "mud flap" certainly is something we would not pay extra to have, and many owners remove them ...and even throw them away ...when driving the Alaska Highway.) Our's is at or above the recommended height, but we also decided to use a shield of some kind between the motorhome and the "towed." There are a variety of options for shields, from putting 3M film on the front of the towed, to full coverage "bra" on the front of the towed, to an "under-skirt" which attaches to both sides of the motorhome and the towed under the towbar, to shields that mount on top of the tow bar. Each choice has it's own unique pluses and minuses. We decided to go with the shield on top of the tow bar. As attachment of the shields seems to be unique to each brand towbar, since we have a Blue Ox towbar, we got the Blue Ox KarGard shield.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Seem`s a bit of an extra lump, Jim.. :Eeek:

Just for the sake of a bucket of water... :wink:

Think if I were that worried about a bit of road grime I would think twice about lugging a toad around.. :giggler:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Seem`s a bit of an extra lump, Jim.. :Eeek:

Just for the sake of a bucket of water... :wink:

Think if I were that worried about a bit of road grime I would think twice about lugging a toad around.. :giggler:

road grime washes off tis true..
but
stones are the problem Mo ..chipped paint, cracked windscreen, headlights etc.. all expensive to replace..

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
There was a trader at Newbury Show selling AFrames and they had bonnet covers/bra for sale for I think £200 +vat! sorry can't remember who it was.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
This toad isn't a problem .. ;)

seen at Thetford Bash

DSCF1443.JPG

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I have a hitch lock, but am told that they just bolt/clamp a temp hitch to the existing A frame on the trailer and away they go! Dont forget to padlock the spare on the trailer assuming the woodford has one. There are some alarm systems that have a trailing cable to connect to outside stored gear and that will go off in the event of someone moving it.

OP
OP
J
Sep 9, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Summer 2014
Good stuff and all very much appreciated - even the wry humour:)

It is the stone chip damage that may occur that I 'd like to try and avoid...dirt and muck in any quantity holds no fear!

A little miffed that my SAS wheel clamp isn't too highly regarded. But them I doubt any security device will deter the committed thief...it'll provide a visual deterent and won't be as easy to pinch if it had nothing at all and that'll do for me.

oldfozzie...I do like that trailer hitch too, if it can be used when towing as well, all the better for the travel stop off's.

Thanks again you all:)

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
To keep the front of your smartie clean is very easy,

Just reverse it onto the trailor!!!!!!!!
Cheers, Dave(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back