Beware Of The Speed Camera Van On A20 At Folkestone/dover. (1 Viewer)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
This is a timely warning for all of you who are coming to Dover via the M20 and A20.
Because of the trouble Dover has with nose to tail lorries waiting to get into the Docks, officialdom has decreed that there should be a set of restriction put into slowing the traffic into the town. and holding the lorries back on the A20 before Dover.
There is a BLANKET SPEED LIMIT OF 40mph on ALL of Dover bound lanes on the A20 after the hill from the two tunnels coming from Folkestone, until actually coming into Dover. This is marked by temporary speed signs like roadworks have and just after the slip road at Capel which is now CLOSED, there is a Kent police speed camera van, this has been diverted there from everywhere else it used to go as it has proved very valuable in collecting fines. 17000 so far, as the road looks clear, as it is a blanket limit and operates even with nothing on it. As well as the van there are fixed cameras operating covering the distance between Capel and the Aycliffe roundabout. There is no leeway on the limit and people are getting caught for just over the limit even on empty open road. The locals are up in arms about this as it doesn't actually stop the town blocking but results in congestion in other parts as lorries try and avoid the queues when it is busy..
This half baked idea is that of cooperation between Dover Harbour Board, Dept of Transport and KCC, with input from Dover District Council, They are all loving it because of the money going into the pot.
BEWARE, IF YOU GO THAT WAY YOU WILL NOT NOTICE IT UNTIL TOO LATE, the van is JUST inside the limit when people are slowing down.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Any one who choses to brake the speed limit and ignore signing stating the limit on that road chose to do so
I am sure that it has been set up under the currant road traffic act and is signed correctly.
If it is not signed correctly take it to court and fight the penalty charge.
Any change to a speed limit must be signed with warning signs a resonabi distance before the new speed limit
Only drivers not reading the road correctly will pick up a penalty and points
been driving nearly 40 years and had one endorsement in that time and that was as a Lerner
herd all the sob story's abut money cows cash generator's if they save one life they have done there job
I had family members that would be alive today if some dick had obeyed the speed limit in a tempory speed restriction
bill

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
Any one who choses to brake the speed limit and ignore signing stating the limit on that road chose to do so
I am sure that it has been set up under the currant road traffic act and is signed correctly.
If it is not signed correctly take it to court and fight the penalty charge.
Any change to a speed limit must be signed with warning signs a resonabi distance before the new speed limit
Only drivers not reading the road correctly will pick up a penalty and points
been driving nearly 40 years and had one endorsement in that time and that was as a Lerner
herd all the sob story's abut money cows cash generator's if they save one life they have done there job
I had family members that would be alive today if some dick had obeyed the speed limit in a tempory speed restriction
bill
I'm with you on this one Bill. If you obey road signs on both speeding and parking, you won't get a fine - simples (y)

Phil

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Speeding fines are an optional "tax" :giggler:
However this is a helpful warning about the new speed limit (if not about the cameras) (y)
it is a blanket limit and operates even with nothing on it
Isn't this the same for ALL speed limits? o_O It's a limit not an advisory.
The locals are up in arms about this as it doesn't actually stop the town blocking but results in congestion in other parts as lorries try and avoid the queues when it is busy..
..... but I do take your point on this one. Maybe that's why the limits are temporary - to see what people do to try to avoid them, and make an informed decision about whether or not to make them permanent? - just a thought :think:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
I'm with you on this one Bill. If you obey road signs on both speeding and parking, you won't get a fine - simples (y)

Phil
Very simples.........Don't effin speed ! Someone in the past went to a lot of trouble designing and constructing an ingenious device !
It is called a speedometer, I believe most vehicles have them fitted as a standard bit of kit !
So, effin use them instead of looking out for cameras !

Rant over !!!!!!!:boxing::boxing::boxing:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Isn't it illegal to warn others about a speed trap ?
Safety camera locations are regularly posted online by the relevant partnerships. Camera vans are not routinely staffed by police officers.. There is no offence of advertising the location of a safety camera van.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I agree with keeping within the law and using your eyes etc, but the OP was only warning us of a recent change that could quite easily be missed, as it is a dual carriageway drivers may miss the new 40 sign which does seem an extreme change (but I don't know the road)

If there are warning signs before the actual restricted area then there are no excuses if caught

I don't like the m25 at the best of times, how often are we travelling round in fairly light traffic at a nice comfortable speed when the gantries decide (or rather some non driving official on his computer decides) to drop the speed limit by 20mph, why?????

Some speed limits are being set unrealistically low for the roads IMO, yet others are still set too high, as we drove out of Chester following the meet there, we were doing 40 along a built up area with lots of houses and drives straight on to the road (A road) then realised partly based on the frustrated driver behind that we were now in a derestricted section, IMO much too fast

We can at least drive at 40 in a 60 limit without penalty other the gestures of those behind, we don't get the option to flout the inappropriate low limits, which in many cases really should only apply to busy times of day, maybe it is time such roads had variable limits on them

Last edited:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
There are actually average speed cameras (SPECS) along that stretch of the A20/ M20, they can be seen on yellow gantries across the road. The mobile gatso van is a bonus for "tax" collecting, but I haven't seen it yet and I have travelled that road a few times in the last couple of weeks.
I have had many vehicles pass me doing well over 40 and they mostly seem to be foreigners, who won't receive a penalty notice anyway, according to Kent police

(In addition, new average speed cameras have been installed along the above stretch of the A20. Using Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) technology, these will automatically identify UK registered vehicles that have exceeded the limit and will then send the data to be processed by Kent Police.)

To me, there seems little point in setting the speed at 40. When the road is empty, its frustrating to be limited to such a low speed, when the road is busy, its difficult to get up to the original speed limit anyway.

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I must say I'm surprised to read that fellow Funsters are so law abiding when it comes to speed limits ;)

I have managed 42 years driving so far without a speeding ticket (touch wood quick) but I think most people faced with a temporary looking 40 mph speed limit sign on an empty dual carriageway would be tempted to exceed the limit by a few mph.

Paul

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I remember a post on facts one day many years ago. A guy posted that he was doing 75 on a motorway and told of a car-caravan combination that overtook him doing 85.

The thread developed into a pathetic thing, filled with 'holier than though' people berating the guy for breaking the speed limit himself! I used to use that thread to point out how sad that forum was.

This thread reminded me of it. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
I must say I'm surprised to read that fellow Funsters are so law abiding when it comes to speed limits ;)

I have managed 42 years driving so far without a speeding ticket (touch wood quick) but I think most people faced with a temporary looking 40 mph speed limit sign on an empty dual carriageway would be tempted to exceed the limit by a few mph.

Paul
No i think your wrong, how dare you doubt the words of all these angels on here.:LOL: I think the 1st reply was sufficient , in fact it covered most. Why do others find it their duty to act like a pack of wolves? I was going to say get a life but i won't.:LOL:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Seems some people should.. If they can bothered.. Check the requirements for signage for speed.. Its certainly not a "temporary looking" sign.
Its also pretty obvious that the op was giving a warning re the speed van.. If people are travelling at the 40mph limit that's been set then what's the problem. If the van is there then its probably because people have been speeding... (17000?).
There's no pack of wolves.. Just some replies suggesting that sticking to the speed limit should be what's being advised..
And no I'm nono angel.. I got 3 points speeding in Scotland.
.. And.. No one is going to get a ticket for 41 or unlikely even 44 in a 40 limit so there's leeway too and room for error.
Its a limit.. Stick to it and if you want it changed campaign or become a politician.

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Don't agree, like i said the 1st reply was sufficient, no need for the rest and certainly no need for yours . you should learn when to stop

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Not sure who you don't agree with but we live in a democracy and we can all have our say..
As for learning when to stop... Thats not the issue.. Its slowing down.. Stick to the subject.
Im sure I don't have to run my thoughts past you before posting... Or do I?

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
I found a loud haler yesterday, batteries are fine. I can drop it into you if you like?

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Sounds like I must be a real baddie having been done for speeding 5 times. Nothing to be proud of I know but all tickets were on empty or near empty roads and speeds were not that excessively over.
Sometimes it's the luck of the draw whether you are caught or not.
I have to say I have never once broke the limits while driving Vanessa.
A good warning g from the OP though. Bet it saves some tickets.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Sounds like I must be a real baddie having been done for speeding 5 times. Nothing to be proud of I know but all tickets were on empty or near empty roads and speeds were not that excessively over.
You could have given Mum's name ? :whistle:
:imoutahere::D

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I think the offence is obstructing a police officer in the execution of his duties and perverting the coerce of justice could be possible
bill
In the case of a speed camera van it wont be a police officer operating it, it will be a civi in a vehicle marked up as a police vehicle which in its own case is illegal i believe :D

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie

Ohh hang your head in shame

Im just about to arrange the stocks for you think it will have to be for at least a week :)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
In the case of a speed camera van it wont be a police officer operating it, it will be a civi in a vehicle marked up as a police vehicle which in its own case is illegal i believe :D
I don't know and what ever i say could be wrong so leving the discussion
bill

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I got flashed by a camera in France last week doing about 90mph ( in the car).

My wife gave me a really hard time about it.

Guess what happened this morning on the motorway just outside Paris when she was driving?

:whistle2:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back