Will This Be A Nail In The Coffin Of The Note 5 Before It Hits The Shelves (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Windows 10 along with a spiffingly amazing 5.7" phablet phone and a jaw dropping camera could be the death knell for the Note 5 and the iphone 6. What do you think JJ...........;)

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I was excited until I read the word "windows" (n) ;)
My son has been using windows 10 for some time now and he thinks it is the best yet for phablet phone and pc operating system. I have been waiting for the Note 5 launch but no more.(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
My son has been using windows 10 for some time now and he thinks it is the best yet for phablet phone and pc operating system. I have been waiting for the Note 5 launch but no more.(y)

Each to there own buttons, Microsoft haven't made billions by producing rubbish products, but I think they are still playing catch up with Apple and Android. I have a Nokia phone at work running Windows and hate it, I have used Blackberry and Apple as well as the Windows mobile and will be sticking with the Mac stuff for now. (I have Mac at home, Mac mini in the van, and ipad/iPhone for mobile and tablet)

It will be interesting (and good for the industry) if the Lumia is a good product, and for windows users I hope it is all they have been missing out on for too long (decent pc/mobile products with a good range of apps)

Let us know what it's like when you get it Buttons, hope you're pleased with it and it works for your needs. :)

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I hope it is a good product but I can't see if based on recent experience of MS.

The americans and canadians I talk to regularly don't trust google so if this works well and integrates properly then android may struggle

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Each to there own buttons, Microsoft haven't made billions by producing rubbish products, but I think they are still playing catch up with Apple and Android. I have a Nokia phone at work running Windows and hate it, I have used Blackberry and Apple as well as the Windows mobile and will be sticking with the Mac stuff for now. (I have Mac at home, Mac mini in the van, and ipad/iPhone for mobile and tablet)

It will be interesting (and good for the industry) if the Lumia is a good product, and for windows users I hope it is all they have been missing out on for too long (decent pc/mobile products with a good range of apps)

Let us know what it's like when you get it Buttons, hope you're pleased with it and it works for your needs. :)
Blimey that sounds like a bit of an orchard you have there mickyc, you will need some convincing before you see past that logo. ;)

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Having recently had the missfortune of migrating a large field engineering team from android based phones and apps to a windows one

Granted it wasnt win10.....ill need a helluva lot of convincing before id ditch my android stuff at home!!!

Jun 22, 2011
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
MS are playing catchup in a game they cant ultimately win.

Windows 10 is indeed an excellent operating system and I would recommend it - particularly for a corporate environment. MS belong in the corporate world where customers are prepared to pay.

Android, on the other hand, being free will always have the edge. Google has the money to continue developing it and beating Microsoft at every turn. In addition they are quicker - MS release a new OS or big upgrade every 3-4 years, Google are updating every 6 months.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
MS are playing catchup in a game they cant ultimately win.

Windows 10 is indeed an excellent operating system and I would recommend it - particularly for a corporate environment. MS belong in the corporate world where customers are prepared to pay.

Android, on the other hand, being free will always have the edge. Google has the money to continue developing it and beating Microsoft at every turn. In addition they are quicker - MS release a new OS or big upgrade every 3-4 years, Google are updating every 6 months.

I use Windows 10 and it is indeed very good, and I hear that this is the last Windows because they will in future update all the time, not a "New Windows" every 4/5 years, it will be a continual update, just like Google.

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Afraid MS devices are not at the races.
Each version of windows gets worse, android have the edge ( but I've used iphone/iPad for years). Son just got the latest HTC and I'm due an upgrade now and torn between the new HTC and iPhone 6+.
Hope the new MS device has a nice shade of blue on its screen, probably will be displaying quite a lot of it !

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
It is made by Microsoft, it will never ever be any good. It may suffice, it may get the job done, it may be the right price but one thing it will never be is good.

I am sat here typing this on a brand new windows laptop, that I can't install Linux on yet due to a very small driver issue (the first). I can honestly say that I hate being stuck back with windows.
Nothing Microsoft has ever made has been good and I have used it all since DOS3.1 and Windows 2.x.
They have killed off loads of stuff that was better and finally we are moving away from the desktop PC other technology is finally getting a look in again after over a decade of MS Monopoly lock in.

Microsoft have been trying to do a properly mobile operating system for donkeys years. I think I still have one of their first Windows CE devices (1998). Jeez they made Psion look great and I went back to it.

Anyway, I was getting close to starting a fully fledged rant there. Just caught myself in time. :LOL:

I just can't wait to get rid of MS off my laptop again.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Funny how two people can think so different. I've also been using ms since 3.1 on an amstrad, also used the amstrad op system which I thought was good and a missed opertunity for sugar. And the IBM, one both whose names escape me now. Even used apple with its tiny screen for kitchen design until a window's version came along, and still think for the price ms is the best.

Ian

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Googled it "GEM" was the Amstrad op sys and OS/2 was the IBM version. Also found out that "GEM" was from Digital Research and Apple threatened to sue them, so they crippled it, which explains why Amstrad dropped it. OS/2 was good but as one journalist said, IBM couldn't market their way out of a paper bag, so it flopped.

Ian

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
But none of my Apps would work on it would they? Android works well is not broken so why change....can't see it catching on..

I understand that 10. Will be a free upgrade from the awful 8.1 I have on travel laptop. When please and how do I do I change :(

Jeez if the boring awful video anything to too go by I rest my case!:)

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
But none of my Apps would work on it would they? Android works well is not broken so why change....can't see it catching on..

I understand that 10. Will be a free upgrade from the awful 8.1 I have on travel laptop. When please and how do I do I change :(

Once again, different thinking, I found that if you didn't try and compare 8.1 with 7 or anything else, 8.1 was quite good. :)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Once again, different thinking, I found that if you didn't try and compare 8.1 with 7 or anything else, 8.1 was quite good. :)

I have sort of got used to it but being non technical it was an unneccesery challenge and time wasting for me? I have to ask why do they do this and make life unneceserily difficult for some... in the name of progress? Or just so they can charge more?

The cheap, excellent chinese one plus one phone has a much better chance of denting the 5's popularity.......far more likely and they have one plus two coming out as well....

A bargain phone as it is and they are apparently dropping the price in June...can you see Samsung doing that?:)

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Our experiences are all different. I like android but when version 5.0 came out in January I think my Nexus tablet was rendered virtually unusable. Now almost 6 months later it has 5.11 and is working more less as I want but it still crashes and needs switching on and off a few times a day. Essentially, android released a new update to their OS which was not fully tested and sorted.

My PC at home has Windows 7 and I like it. An old laptop I put Linux on I don't use any more but keep it as a back up in case the PC expires.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
MS are dominant through predatory and monopoly practices not because they release great products.
I was using an Amiga which had pre-emptive multitasking before I was forced by work to move across to windows 3.1. What a move backwards. The Amiga did 4096 colours, have built in 4 channel sound, had genlock capability built in. The Amiga 2000 was way superior to the PC of the day...

Then I moved to OS/2 Warp but Microsoft killed that as well. OS/2 warp was a sensational OS at the time.

The history of computers over the last 20 years is littered with better products that have not made it because of Microsoft's business practices, monopoly position and entrenched market.

I now use Linux as my primary OS. I unfortunately got forced back to windows temporarily because I bought a brand new Dell XPS13 within a week of it being launched in the UK. They have now released the driver for it so I can upgrade back to Linux which is far far far superior to windows. These last 2 months or so have been a nightmare for me. Windows really is that bad and you don't realise how bad it is until you escape to something better for a while.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
and still think for the price ms is the best.

8.1 was quite good. :)

My PC at home has Windows 7 and I like it.

Best for the price, quite good and I like it... Damned with faint praise :p:D
And that is for an OS that has had 30 years to mature and develop and get it all absolutely right.
I really can't see microsoft doing much better, than good for the price, quite good and I like for their mobile OS, but will we have to wait 30 years to get to that point also :whistle::LOL::p

Reactions: DBK
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Gromett, Android is good for the price, its free. :D No op system is perfect, they all have drawbacks, either because little is written for them, they don't just run out of the box or they are expensive. Windows might not be the best, but you know 99% of the programs the casual user would want to run will, and are easily available. My little network at the shop has one on XP, one on 7 and one on 8.1, they all jog along happily, two of them are on permanently so the wife can access them via gotomypc.

I can only speak from my experience which is windows of all flavours are very stable.

Ian

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Ian, My problem with windows is in it's usability. It is a horrendous OS to use all day every day.
From non stop update notifications from multiple apps, to needing to reboot to update anything, to the pauses for no reason. Longer load times for programs compared to other OS's. These are just a few of the things I don't have to put up with on Linux. Until you use another OS in anger for a period of time and then come back to windows you just don't realise how bad it actually is.

When I didn't know any better I was happy on XP and 7. But not anymore. I really do hate it with a vengeance as it is forever getting in my way. In addition applications that are stable under linux hang and glitch under windows (on 2 different version of windows on two different computers). Browsing is slower on windows.

Sorry going into a rant again :confused: I will stop right there.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I have loaded Linux of different flavours over the years Gromett and couldn't see any advantage. I even ran a cut down version on a small tablet, and it was fine for that, as I think it totalled around 500mb unlike windows 1 gig plus, but memory is not an issue anymore.
I have a computer that works, if it ain't broke, why fix it? :)

Ian

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Well it seems, going from some of the posts here, that MS has many cartloads of money selling a terrible, crap, no good, wouldn't give it house room OS that sold to most of the computers in the world for the last however many years. And of course made Mr Gates soooooooooo RICH!!!

Well let me tell you folks, wish I could sell crap like that(y):)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Well it seems, going from some of the posts here, that MS has many cartloads of money selling a terrible, crap, no good, wouldn't give it house room OS that sold to most of the computers in the world for the last however many years. And of course made Mr Gates soooooooooo RICH!!!

Well let me tell you folks, wish I could sell crap like that(y):)

Lightbulb moment...its a monopoly!

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Lightbulb moment...its a monopoly!

Wise man once said, becoming a millionaire is very, very, easy......The hard part is getting the idea!! As you say "Lightbulb moment", some light bulb to sell that much "Crap".

I would even call it clever(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back