Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Near Glossop
Funster No
MH
bessacar E496
Exp
5 years
Driving into Barmouth the other day I was gob-smacked by just how many lay bys there are on the A496 going into the town. You barely have to go 800 metres without another one appearing - many of them backing right onto the estuary with beautiful views across the hills. Some of them are set back behind trees. some have grassy areas, some have bins....

The picture I've imported shows one of them tucked away to the right of the photo, the estuary is to the left and Barmouth is literally 2 minutes drive / 10 minutes cycle straight down the road in front.

The sat nav location for this one is 52.736350, -4.021242. Don't worry if you don't fancy this one there's loads of them to choose from before you get to this. Some of them are really wild if that's your bag - this one is pretty near civilisation.

We paid 64 quid to stay at a site only 5 minutes away . :oops:

Enjoy(y)

barmouth.jpg

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Thanks for that they look grate we have just spent a week free parking wild camping always handy to know abut other spots
thanks bill

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Near Glossop
Funster No
MH
bessacar E496
Exp
5 years
Check the views at this one a couple of minutes further out on the same road. It is dead on 5 miles outside Barmouth and the sat nav location is
52.752599, -3.952562

(There is also another really big one nearer to the town on the right hand side about 4 or 5 minutes towards Barmouth set back and hidden by a wall of trees).

Keep your money in your pockets chaps - wished I did.

barmouth 2.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
this thread could be the layby network who need airs with laybys like Theas I dont know what airs translates to but I have seen laybys like this in France and they have irs de whatever
whis I could make I ta favret thread
bill

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
a number along that road are not laybys, they are remnants of the old road and are access roads and you will probably get a visit asking you to move on if you stop there!!

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Near Glossop
Funster No
MH
bessacar E496
Exp
5 years
Oh and I forgot to mention you can park smack bang in the middle of Barmouth in the MH right here (you'll see other campers in the pic - there were some there when we visited as well) .
Don't quote me but I'm 99% sure it's free as well if you've got blue stickers.
This is literally 5 minutes away from the wild camping spots I showed in the earlier pics.
Sat nav for this one is 52.720629, -4.055760

It's literally over the road from the beach and 2 minutes walk to the outdoor market, shops and harbour.

barmouth 3.jpg

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Near Glossop
Funster No
MH
bessacar E496
Exp
5 years
a number along that road are not laybys, they are remnants of the old road and are access roads and you will probably get a visit asking you to move on if you stop there!!

No I don't think so I checked them and they literally loop in and out of the road. There's no access to anywhere. At least 10 of them are just tarmac areas with grass round them as well. There were a few cars and vans in a few of them when we were there 2 days ago and it was obvious they were there for the duration.

Don't take my word for it put the sat nav locations in Google earth and take a look yourselves. One motor home that was on the same site as us left the night before us and we passed it in one of these lay bys driving home the next day ! (Clever sods)

Some of them back right up to the estuary so unless you're launching a boat off the cliff edge I can't see access being an issue :giggle:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Shell Island is only 5 minutes away and if you are over 60 its £30 per week.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Near Glossop
Funster No
MH
bessacar E496
Exp
5 years
So have I! :)

Why don't we arrange a dirty great funster sort of big camp fire/ piss up type of affair there one weekend? I reckon if we get ten or more of of us with a load of firewood, some BBQ's, an abhorrent amount of red wine we could have a cracking Friday and Saturday night.

I could bring my Peruvian nose flute.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Near Glossop
Funster No
MH
bessacar E496
Exp
5 years
DBK just saw your route through Spain on your Blog and ... well... JESUS! :Eeek:

You did that in 5 and a half weeks!

I take my hat off to you sah! You are one hardcore chuffer!:clap2:

PS My dog is called Bertie as well but he weighs 12 stone.

Last edited:

Steveboy

Free Member
Oct 13, 2011
Wherever my wheels stop.
Funster No
MH
Rapido 972M
Exp
Fulltime since 2011
I am a fulltimer and respectfully wild/free camp and have been doing so in the UK & Europe for 4 years with no problems. One rule I have is never ever publicise a wild spot. Find wild. Leave wild. Anything else is dis-respectful.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I am a fulltimer and respectfully wild/free camp and have been doing so in the UK & Europe for 4 years with no problems. One rule I have is never ever publicise a wild spot. Find wild. Leave wild. Anything else is dis-respectful.
I have stopped telling folks where I go for that reason (y)
bill

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Oh and I forgot to mention you can park smack bang in the middle of Barmouth in the MH right here (you'll see other campers in the pic - there were some there when we visited as well) .
Don't quote me but I'm 99% sure it's free as well if you've got blue stickers.
This is literally 5 minutes away from the wild camping spots I showed in the earlier pics.
Sat nav for this one is 52.720629, -4.055760

It's literally over the road from the beach and 2 minutes walk to the outdoor market, shops and harbour.

View attachment 64287

We were in Barmouth last year and never found those spots - bugger , next time though - Thanks.

You cant quite see it but the is a low stone wall behind the cars on the right. Set into it are a number of steel bench's.
I was parked against that wall and carefully pulled away keeping an eye on the back end as it swung out, avoided hitting the wall - but ripped off a chunk of rear bumper on a bloody bench back that stuck out less than an inch.
The two old guys who were sat on it jumped up preety quick!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back