Everyone's Worse Nightmare Today (1 Viewer)

Gandhi

Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Near Glossop
Funster No
MH
bessacar E496
Exp
5 years
Going around a corner at about 30 mph on a country lane in the depths of mid Wales, the road suddenly drops away into a very steep slope, the road narrows to one vehicle width and yep there it is - a dirty great tractor with a trailer in tow coming up it!

To say I stood on the brakes is no understatement!
:eek:

If I can figure how to crop it I'll upload the video from the dash cam later. (Ignore the fruity language I doubtless splurted out)

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Near Glossop
Funster No
MH
bessacar E496
Exp
5 years
I kid you not Larry I literally stood on the brakes!

A trouser incident wasn't that far off.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Near Glossop
Funster No
MH
bessacar E496
Exp
5 years
Jonkil you had to see how it just appeared on the worse bend on the worse road I've ever seen. The road just suddenly went from a gentle slope to on a blind bend to a 1 in 10 drop with hedges either side. How the hell I managed to slow down and get past will always amaze me. It was bloody horrifying.

The Werthers Original I'd been sucking on was ground to dust!

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I really don't like the builders trucks when the mirrors hang out a mile and those buggers just do not slow down, it's not theirs to worry about :Eeek:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
The best bit of advice I had was on a bike safe course with a copper on his police PanEuropean as was mine. We stopped for a chat and he said that the only speed to go round a corner at is the speed you can stop in the road you can see. If there's a tractor stopped round that corner will you be able to stop in time? The answer was not usually but it stuck in my mind and I do go round blind bends at a greatly reduced speed now................................. But not greatly enough sometimes :LOL: :eek::eek::eek:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Jonkil you had to see how it just appeared on the worse bend on the worse road I've ever seen. The road just suddenly went from a gentle slope to on a blind bend to a 1 in 10 drop with hedges either side. How the hell I managed to slow down and get past will always amaze me. It was bloody horrifying.

The Werthers Original I'd been sucking on was ground to dust!
you got past? not a west country narrow road then, hee hee

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Travelling at thirty MPH on a blind bend in my perception, is driving without due care and attention to varying road and traffic conditions.

Certainly wouldn't have passed any bikesafe courses or other tests I have taken doing that.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Where we live, you can almost guarantee there is going to be some combination of tractor and implement around the next bend and always drive according, this is not intended as a put down on the op, it all depends where you do most of your driving, if you live and do most of your driving around town, it's not something you expect, but in the country please expect the worse.

Reactions: JJ

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The best bit of advice I had was on a bike safe course with a copper on his police PanEuropean as was mine. We stopped for a chat and he said that the only speed to go round a corner at is the speed you can stop in the road you can see. If there's a tractor stopped round that corner will you be able to stop in time? The answer was not usually but it stuck in my mind and I do go round blind bends at a greatly reduced speed now................................. But not greatly enough sometimes :LOL: :eek::eek::eek:
And take blind bends wide - so you see further round them. Not suggesting the OP wasn't, but it is something not generally known.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

& use the air horns in advance . I do ,always. Specially on left handers as the amount of cars that will come around the bend over the white line is unbelievable.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I drive round corners as though my mother might be coming the other way :D

she drives the widest Yaris Verso Toyota ever built, always needs all of her side and half of the other :LOL:

be warned, I will not tell you where she lives, so you all need to presume she lives near you (y):)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Not always slow moving farm machinery either.

Expect young chesney in his clapped out Corsa with the drainpipe exhaust doing warp speeds.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Your policeman friend was right you do need to be able to stop in the distance you can see to be clear but on a narrow or single track Road you should be looking at doubling that distance.
A reminder to everyone where luckily no damage or injury occurred.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Sounds like inappropriate speed for the road to me?

Excellent advice (y)

I get what you're all saying but seriously learn from my heart stopping near-miss. It's horrible. I'm going to creep round 'em again in future :unsure:
That's cool. It's great when people can learn from their mistakes. Especially cool when they are able to publicly admit it and offer it up as a lesson for others (y)(y)(y)(y) Nice one :)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I'm reminded of a Top Gear, when Jezza lost it on a corner, his comment, shouted very loudly afterwards was: "Some poo came out!"

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Get it all the time down here, the number of times I've had a white faced, teeth clenched, eye ball popping, Tyre smoking emmet, with screaming Partner in passengers seat, coming at me at an improbable speed whilst I'm on the way to the Farm. :doh:
The Farm was/is at Bosveale, the road also leads to "Gwennup Pit" a place where John Wesley Preached in the dark days, it's on the tourist agenda.
The road/lane, leading to it is narrow, some times if the council hasn't cut the hedges the Brambles can scrape the Car on either side. It's not only Cars but Cyclists too. We were moving the Cows to a different Paddock, when these two idiots came barreling around the corner at a fair old speed, Ignored the fella at the front of the herd, the look on their faces said it all "Hey Man what do I hit? a Cow weighing 8-900 Kilos or the hedge?"
They chose the hedge!

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Thank goodness you had a happy ending.. :( That's when the cups and crockery usually fall out of a cupboard I've forgotten to lock.. Glad you ok.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I clearly remember going round a narrow blind bend on about 6" of compacted snow and ice during the 2009/10 winter. I crept around it expecting a twat to come belting around the other side.....all I could see was a giant silver blade coming towards me at great speed, luckly for me there was an opened field gate on the bend which I drove through!!!

In this case the twat was a snow gritter driver.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I don't think you'll be seeing that for a while Karl, well, not for the next 11 days at least. Something to do with Rule No1 I believe. ;)

Cheers,

Jock.
You have lost me there?

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
The question i aways ask my self what if a mother and child is around the bend walking with no footpath.
Could i stop?

Reactions: JJ

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back