LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Mum was just sitting dozing when I read her @devonbeeker post she quickly woke up. She is annoyed to find out that she has really been driving Vanessa illegally.
Has everyone over 70 and driving more than 3.5 ton had a medical and what does it entail.?
Mums all worried now.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
For a minute I thought you had driven over a 70 year old!

Sure someone will be along to answer your question soon but I think it works out cheaper to use a doctor other than your GP - again someone will advise who and how to contact.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
the medical is the same as the hgv medical .
nothing to worry about . unless your mum has diabetis or heart trouble . etc . if just older then should pass ok.
the worst bit is the cost of the medical .but google drivers medicals or here you are.http://www.driversmedicals.com/
saves a few bob .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
My understanding is her driving licence will have expired when she was 70 so she can't drive anything if she hasn't renewed it. Assuming she did renew it the category to drive vehicles over 3.5 tonnes will have been deleted unless she submitted the right paperwork following a medical.

Personnaly I prefer to drive around 70 year olds - the big ones can damage your body work.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Im hoping these posts will lighten mums mood. Shes ready for a cry and worried a stranger will fail her. :-(

Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
I used Doctors on Wheels, unfortunately I suffered from white coat syndrome & my blood pressure shot up, would not have got passed if the form had been submitted to DVLA, so....I tore it up, went to my own doctor, cost £145, she got the same reaction from me, high blood pressure, she put the form in her drawer, gave me a prescription for lowering the blood pressure & told me to come back in 2 weeks, did that, and all was okay. So...posted the form off and got my new driving licence, Hey, ho, I will have to go through the same performance in 3 years.

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
I am not sure and I am sure someone will be along to correct me but if you let it lapse by not renewing that category don't you have to retake a test.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Mine is due in September, 70 then and my van is 4.250 so it,s got to be done, I will be using my own doctors they have all my records there so I cant see the point of going elsewhere to save a few quid, when I had a bypass in 1992 I got my licence back so hoping the same will happen this time, if not a rethink will be in order. Pete

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
I hope not. I cant see that specific answer on the link and I had best not tell her tonight.
Hi I have been told you can reapply if you go over but I cant say for sure, perhaps the true info is on the internet. Pete
Ps good luck to Mum :)

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
You need to check if her license is still valid as most expire at age 70 and need to be renewed regardless of the 3500kg stuff.
There was a nasty story in the paper this week of a guy who's license had expired, after a small accident the police inspected his license saw it was expired, therefore the car was not insured for him to drive it and was confiscated into the pound at £20.00 cost per day.
He was struggling to solve the license / insurance/ payment issue. And thought the vehicle would be crushed. All over an expired license!!

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Im hoping these posts will lighten mums mood. Shes ready for a cry and worried a stranger will fail her. :-(
We got our first mh in Dec 2014 having been told it would be plated at 3500/ PLG and Him Indoors - over 70 at the time - drove it home. I checked the tax disc for some reason & saw it said 3650/ PHG, so he'd driven it illegally. His licence (which he had renewed, but we weren't planning to have a mh at the time) no longer had the required class. However - medical with our own GP (he also prefers to use someone he knows) and all sorted. :D
No re-take. No problem. :)(y)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I am not sure and I am sure someone will be along to correct me but if you let it lapse by not renewing that category don't you have to retake a test.
No I do not think that is correct.The other reply with link does not appear to show that it is lost either.

On this link it says that you can renew when due to expire or if it already has but at bottom it states that you cannot renew a C1 online but only by post.
https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence-at-70

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Mine is due in September, 70 then and my van is 4.250 so it,s got to be done, I will be using my own doctors they have all my records there so I cant see the point of going elsewhere to save a few quid, when I had a bypass in 1992 I got my licence back so hoping the same will happen this time, if not a rethink will be in order. Pete
I wanted to use my own GP but,apart from quoting £130-£150 they said only one doctor did it and he was awy,they would get in touch-a month later I asked again,they would get in touch in a couple of weeks ! So,I rang an independent GP practice in Cardiff (12 miles away) £90 -could I be there in an hour !! Job done.(y)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Hope that @matamoros is correct and it is an easy fix :)

Maybe a phone call to the DVLA (don't laugh) will clarify things and make Mum feel much better.

voyagerstan

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
torquay sometimes
Funster No
MH
library bus (ford voyager
Exp
since1976
How long before your 70th can you apply for renewal , tried asking at DVLA but they don't seem to know !!! Her indoors birthday is in January and don't want to be here in the cold wasteland that's called England that time of year . STAN

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I'm guessing 90 days but it's unclear

"You can use this service to renew your current British driving licence if you’re already 70 or over (or soon will be) and:
    • your British licence has expired – or it’s going to expire within 90 days"
https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence-at-70

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
How long before your 70th can you apply for renewal , tried asking at DVLA but they don't seem to know !!! Her indoors birthday is in January and don't want to be here in the cold wasteland that's called England that time of year . STAN

90 days is the earliest, I did mine at 88 days last year. They can still take an age to complete the renewal especially if any medical complications.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003

My birthday is in April and we always are away in Portugal or Spain so I asked the DVLA if I could have the forms in November and they sent them so now my license expires in December and the renewal forms come in September/October.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years

I was told in spain this year by a pal that his eye test was a few days over three months old so had to take it again to get his C1 all ok, now hes changing for a 3.500 to save any further probs. Pete

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I think that if she renewed the licence at 70 and did not have the medical form filled in at the time, the entitlement has gone and will require a C class driving test in a lorry to get it back. Also the entitlement for a trailer will have gone as well requiring another test with a larger BOX trailer to get it back.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
should get it back . but even so its a c1or c1+e no need to do full c licence .
but should be medical and apply .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back