• These Classified Forums are now archived, so you cannot add to or edit them. Our New Classified System can be Found Here 

• These Classified Forums are now archived, so you cannot add to or edit them. Our New Classified System can be Found Here 

Be Careful (1 Viewer)

Sharon Ebbs

Free Member
May 27, 2015
Thanet
Funster No
MH
hymer S700
Exp
im a newbie
we have just been scamed by the seller of the hymer we brought from him. We brought it using google wallet from a guy called Ian Oliver or that what he says he's name is! he claims to live in Scotland.
but it turns out he made the whole thing up including a fake web site. we got sucked in and have learnt the hard way and probably won't get our money back...........so back to the saving!!
just thought i would let every one know about this so you don't get caught out.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Oh dear.
Did you go and view the vehicle , at his address, or where he stored it?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Sorry to read that you have been the victim of a fraud crime.
Hope you have not lost too much and you can soon buy your new van.

OP
OP
Sharon Ebbs

Sharon Ebbs

Free Member
May 27, 2015
Thanet
Funster No
MH
hymer S700
Exp
im a newbie
we have filed a report with the police and the bank but seriously don't think we will get any money back
we have an address and their bank details but not sure if the police can do anything really

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Not sure what to say, so sorry for you. Must be some way of Police tracing emails and conversations surly?

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
There was a lady on here looking into scams, might be worth contacting her to see if she can help use the search to try and find her
Sorry for your loss, I hope they catch the scum bag

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
There was a lady on here looking into scams, might be worth contacting her to see if she can help use the search to try and find her
Sorry for your loss, I hope they catch the scum bag

I was trying to find that thread, any ideas, I searched for "scam" but couldn't find her.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Please take my like on Pappajohn's post as an "I agree"

Reactions: Mel

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
So sorry to hear this but this was why I asked you when you first posted that the van was been delivered to you that it was strange, and asked you about damp, as it sounded like a scam , it's one that often happens and we have heard it before, I really hope you can get your money back, please make use of the forum to ask before buying as there sure do many scams around.

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
Really sorry this has happened to you.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
So I'm guessing , you didn't go and see the vehicle ?
If it looks too good to be true , it often is. So many scams about. As we know on here as members. But if it's all new to you , and your excitedly looking for a mh, and come across this thread, Let this be a warning .
Don't ever part with any cash until you've seen the vehicle , totally checked it out. Had it hpi checked. https://www.hpicheck.com/
Pay by bank transfer. Or get them to take the cash to your bank with you to get it counted and checked.

As for op. I hope you get your cash back, and that they didn't sting you for too much.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Well I'm picking up my new van tomorrow and read this again and panicked so I just paid £20 for an HPI check... All good but when I get to the guys house I have to type in some details from the V5 and they will do a final check. If that comes up all clear then they guarantee me against losses up to £30k.. I'm hoping that will be a complete waste of cash but it's a good idea to have the paper trail verified.

Good luck again. I think we should have this scam you have suffered from discussed a lot as it seems very prominent at the moment.

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
I was trawling through the CC ads site, saw a caravan that was way underpriced, Sussex it was a scam so thought I would wind him/her up !
Lo and behold,it was this cretin Ian Oliver who said he was on a course inside Dreghorn Barracks near Edinburgh. I offered to view, collect and pay cash on the nail. He then went through the rigmarole of Google wallet and said said he couldn't leave the barracks because of security. I said I was a

Captain in the armed forces and would have no problem in entering the site .
Guess what, it all went quiet ! I notified the CC and they took the ad down and barred him from further advertising!:swear2::swear2::swear2:

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Well I'm picking up my new van tomorrow and read this again and panicked so I just paid £20 for an HPI check... All good but when I get to the guys house I have to type in some details from the V5 and they will do a final check. If that comes up all clear then they guarantee me against losses up to £30k.. I'm hoping that will be a complete waste of cash but it's a good idea to have the paper trail verified.

Good luck again. I think we should have this scam you have suffered from discussed a lot as it seems very prominent at the moment.
Beware a lot of HPi firms dont cover the losses if its a motorhome, (strange but true)

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
I was trawling through the CC ads site, saw a caravan that was way underpriced, Sussex it was a scam so thought I would wind him/her up !
Lo and behold,it was this cretin Ian Oliver who said he was on a course inside Dreghorn Barracks near Edinburgh. I offered to view, collect and pay cash on the nail. He then went through the rigmarole of Google wallet and said said he couldn't leave the barracks because of security. I said I was a

Captain in the armed forces and would have no problem in entering the site .
Guess what, it all went quiet ! I notified the CC and they took the ad down and barred him from further advertising!:swear2::swear2::swear2:
Think I've found another one! 6 year old caravan for just under three grand ! Watch this space !

knighthauler

Free Member
May 11, 2013
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since 2001
Really sorry for you - their are some heartless -------s out there!!

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I wonder if this is the same "Ian Oliver"...

I just Googled the name...

JJ :cool:
Good scam to use another fraudster's name, similar to John Doe, you never know who it really is...

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I hate to ask you to go over your scam but could you please explain how you were led to believe in this deal so that I and others can benefit from your awful experience. I will understand if you do not wish to.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Not out to upset the op, but the one simple rule in any transaction is not to let go of any money till the article is in your possession even then with vehicals and other high cost articles make sure they actually belong to the person that is selling them, if something looks to be too good to be true, IT IS

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I have genuine sympathy for the OP, I understand that they were planning to fulltime in the vehicle.

What I don't understand is not viewing the vehicle beforehand.

I couldn't imagine buying a home before vigorous inspection or at least getting a feel that 'it's the van for me'.

Unless I'm mistaken and a viewing did take place and the problems started afterwards ?

Some more information would benefit us all....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back