LED lighting (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
while at newark i thought id change all my halogen lights for LED's. well, all but 2 we dont use.

worth every penny of the £100.:whatthe:

all the existing bulbs were 10w halogen, changed 'em to 9 X 20w and 4 X 25w equivilent light output LED's.

much brighter in the van now and i can run ALL the lights at the same time for less battery drain than 2 of the old ones.:Eeek:

best thing iv bought since my sat dish and solar panel.:thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Found a stall on Sunday who had bulbs which fit our eyeball spotlights - he only had one left but will post the other 3 we need on to us.

The single one was nearly enough to light the van for reading Sunday night on its own so well pleased. I'm going to look at replacing the tubes in the Crown lights and the straight tube over the cooker as well.

As you say, John, not cheap but power saving is fantastic.

Graham

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I want to change florescent tubes lights if possible.

Wished i had spoken with you John as very confused as usual at the show stand with em on.

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Pappajohn,

Where did you obtain the LED lights from?

Mick

Papa Smurf

Sep 25, 2007
Funster No
I too splashed out at Newark and bought a shedload of bulbs for Harvey. We got them from Welcome to the CamperCare website . More than happy with the price compared to others I've seen on the web, and a lifespan of 5 years continuous use!.

I did try Aten as well as they were at Newark, but they were unable to find the bulbs I wanted, so they lost out to someone who carries sufficient stock.

Papa

Last edited:
OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Pappajohn,

Where did you obtain the LED lights from?

Mick

hi micknpat,

have a look at papasmurfs post.

click his link and it'll take you there. LED bulbs4u

click LED bulbs on the left of page.

there are two sizes so make sure you get the right ones for your lamps.

small are about 1" and the large are about 1 1/4".

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
(snip)I did try Aten as well as they were at Newark, but they were unable to find the bulbs I wanted, so they lost out to someone who carries sufficient stock.

Papa

Funny old world. Tried Campercare first (because I saw them before Aten) but they didn't have the bulbs I needed. Aten was the company I bought from :Smile:

Graham

crag

Free Member
Jan 17, 2008
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 Years
LED's

I've been replacing my bulbs with Led's. I've done the spots, and the ceiling lights, but the flouresents aren't worth changing as the LED equivelents aren't so bright and still use over 5 watts, so not much of a saving there.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
while at newark i thought id change all my halogen lights for LED's. well, all but 2 we dont use.

worth every penny of the £100.:whatthe:

all the existing bulbs were 10w halogen, changed 'em to 9 X 20w and 4 X 25w equivilent light output LED's.

much brighter in the van now and i can run ALL the lights at the same time for less battery drain than 2 of the old ones.:Eeek:

best thing iv bought since my sat dish and solar panel.:thumb:

Changed mine a year or so ago now and delighted with them for exactly the same reason.

They are looking into supplying them for headlights on new cars now.:Eeek:

Let's hope they market replacements for retrofit applications.

Now they would have to be bright.:Eeek:

Last edited:
OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Changed mine a year or so ago now and delighted with them for exactly the same reason.

They are looking into supplying them for headlights on new cars now.:Eeek:

Let's hope they market replacements for retrofit applications.

Now they would have to be bright.:Eeek:

or the size of a dustbin lid.....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

be interesting to see how they get over the dip/main beam problem:Doh:

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I changed all mine, I also did the flourecents, I bought from Aten Lighting 2 complete 8W equivalent led units and stripped out the LED part, took all the flourecent gubbins out of the ceiling housing and simpley put the LED strip in with double sided tape. It works a treat.:thumb:

I have to give Steve (Ash) the credit for it as he did it first at Newark. Steve put his in using sticky backed Velcro.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I changed all mine, I also did the flourecents, I bought from Aten Lighting 2 complete 8W equivalent led units and stripped out the LED part, took all the flourecent gubbins out of the ceiling housing and simpley put the LED strip in with double sided tape. It works a treat.:thumb:

I have to give Steve (Ash) the credit for it as he did it first at Newark. Steve put his in using sticky backed Velcro.

could have saved you the hasstle mate......one of the marque/table type traders were selling an LED strip with wires attached.
just a plain, 1/2" square section about 12" long , plastic strip with about 20 LEDs along its length.....glue, tape, velcro in place and connect the wires to the existing. £20.:RollEyes:

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
How bright are these LED replacements compared to the halogen bulbs? The ones I have seen look bright enough but the light doesn't seem to give the same coverage as the conventional bulbs.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
output of my old ones was 10w each....the new ones are 20w and 25w each so much much brighter and as the leds are downward facing no reflecter is needed and the light spread is the same if not better.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
could have saved you the hasstle mate......one of the marque/table type traders were selling an LED strip with wires attached.
just a plain, 1/2" square section about 12" long , plastic strip with about 20 LEDs along its length.....glue, tape, velcro in place and connect the wires to the existing. £20.:RollEyes:

Ah but mine was £30 for the 2 so worth the hassle.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
or the size of a dustbin lid.....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

be interesting to see how they get over the dip/main beam problem:Doh:

:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::ROFLMAO:There's an awful lot of them?I wonder if there's a physical limit to the size they can make 1 led?

Here you go.Link Removed

Link Removed

LED-based headlights have appeared on the new car scene: the Link Removed and Link Removed will be the first vehicles to be using LED headlights. The benefits of LED headlights are lower power consumption, durability and significantly more flexible packaging. However, it does appear that heat build up within LEDs are a big issue, as are the fact that the LEDs need to deal with the heat from the engine compartment. See this post from Link Removed for a detailed examination of the new headlights.

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Found a stall on Sunday who had bulbs which fit our eyeball spotlights - he only had one left but will post the other 3 we need on to us.

Bulbs turned up today. I thought it might be tomorrow or even Monday so a nice surprise.

They're just the job. Now I need a couple to replace the 9W fluorescent tubes in the Crown fittings.

Graham

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Funny old world. Tried Campercare first (because I saw them before Aten) but they didn't have the bulbs I needed. Aten was the company I bought from :Smile:

Graham

I bought some from Aten too so perhaps thats why they'd run out. I have now changed all mine except a few that aren't used often.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi what's the advantage of changing the fluorescents to LEDs?

Olley

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi olley,

12v flourescents actually run on a small inbuilt invertor....i dont think 12v is enough to power them directly so not as efficient as it first seems.

they dont use as much as a halogen but much more than an LED.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
this LED malarky is really catching on......even considering changing the ten 240v/35w downlighters in the kitchen at home but that could be expensive as they will need a transformer as well.:Doh:
but it will bring the leccy bill down......10 x 35w diaclorics = 350w/hr.....10 x 20w LEDs = 12w/hr:thumb:

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
The reason for asking is that fluorescents are much better than tungsten because like LEDS they produce little heat, so if LED's are that much better than fluorescents......why?

My own experience is not so positive, I replaced all the 20watt halogen downlights (27) in my kitchen with 3 watt mains LED's, they simply don't give out the same amount of light. But as the are much cheaper to run we will stick with them.

Olley

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
is that 3 watt input or output olley.

mine in the van are 0.8w input but 20w equivelent output.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi papa bulbs are rated by their power consumption; aren't they? So mine are 3w input supposedly equal to a 20watt tungsten. Each bulb has 48 LED's

Olley

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
48 LEDs:whatthe:......must be the older/cheaper low output type LEDs.....

mine have 7 LEDs in the 20w and 9 in the 25w. the LEDs are a flat disc not the little bulb lookalike type as in torches etc.

the 25w draw 1.2w

Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back