Free Member
Jan 20, 2014
Full timer
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
3 months
The weekend saw us heading up the M5 on our way to Thetford in Norfolk for the Thetford Bash Rally. When less than an hour in to our 4 hour journey there is a very loud BANG which sounded very much like something compressed had exploded.

I immediately pulled into the hard shoulder and realised I was rapidly running out of hard shoulder as we were approaching an exit as well. This left..... Read more here

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I'd I'd spent that much on tyres I would want the world to see them :D

OP
OP
phodetheus

phodetheus

Free Member
Jan 20, 2014
Full timer
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
3 months
No I want to protect them and keep them safe and cosy and sleep with them :rolleyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
My first knackered old camper cost less than that lot!!! Thank heavens I have a PVC and just 4 wheels!

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Phew . I'm glad ours didn't cost
that, £360 for 4 new ones last week. Hankook, ms tyres.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
What tyres did you have fitted ! £1500 for four does not sound right to me ?

OP
OP
phodetheus

phodetheus

Free Member
Jan 20, 2014
Full timer
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
3 months
What tyres did you have fitted ! £1500 for four does not sound right to me ?

Imported RV tyres from Motorhome Medics.

So that's £1500 plus the cost of the earlier two ouch, how old were the originals?

13 years old.

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Sorry to hear of your troubles, that does sound expensive but at 13 I guess you had good use out of them.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Glad to read that know one was injured from the experience. (y)

Can I ask please, what dates were stamped on the tyres you replaced, and what dates are stamped on the new ones?

Safe RV'ing,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
phodetheus

phodetheus

Free Member
Jan 20, 2014
Full timer
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
3 months
Sorry to hear of your troubles, that does sound expensive but at 13 I guess you had good use out of them.

Alas no as I only bought it 3 months ago :cry:

Glad to read that know one was injured from the experience. (y)

Can I ask please, what dates were stamped on the tyres you replaced, and what dates are stamped on the new ones?

Safe RV'ing,

Jock. :)

sometime in 2002 on the old and week 42 2014 on the new

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I would be contacting the place you bought the RV. 13year old tyres are not safe or acceptable.

OP
OP
phodetheus

phodetheus

Free Member
Jan 20, 2014
Full timer
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
3 months
I would be contacting the place you bought the RV. 13year old tyres are not safe or acceptable.
No point, they are just motor dealers at the end of the day who will say you looked at it so its your problem.

OP
OP
phodetheus

phodetheus

Free Member
Jan 20, 2014
Full timer
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
3 months
They sold you a van with dangerous tyres. Under the sale of goods act they are responsable.
This is a good point. But I have butted heads with motor dealers in the past and really don't want to have to stay in this country the excessive time it will take to drag it through the courts which is where it will have to go. Also I am poor now and cant afford the solicitors.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
This is a good point. But I have butted heads with motor dealers in the past and really don't want to have to stay in this country the excessive time it will take to drag it through the courts which is where it will have to go. Also I am poor now and cant afford the solicitors.
Its worth giving them a polite phone call informing them of what happened and asking what they propose to do for you. You never know they may make you an offer. A phone call and a few emails may get you some cash back.

OP
OP
phodetheus

phodetheus

Free Member
Jan 20, 2014
Full timer
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
3 months
Its worth giving them a polite phone call informing them of what happened and asking what they propose to do for you. You never know they may make you an offer. A phone call and a few emails may get you some cash back.

I have sent them an email and we will see what comes. Don't hold much hope though personally. But your right I may be pleasantly surprised.

OP
OP
phodetheus

phodetheus

Free Member
Jan 20, 2014
Full timer
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
3 months

Got a reply quite quickly. Not surprised at their response. Not something I think I could definitely win in a court and I only bet on sure things.

Hi Gary,

The tyre recommendation is just that by some not all of the tyre manufacturers to increase tyre sales.

As long as there is no significant signs of tyre wall cracking then we do not/or recommend to replace This is not generally down to the age of tyres. If you look at the amount of Lorry tyres that blow out and these are generally covering a lot of miles hence frequently replaced.

Load rating which is marked on the tyre and tyre pressures are important If you still had the original tyres fitted then the chances are they are a higher load rating i.

Best regards,

Mark Ashe

Managing Director

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Think it's just one to chalk up to experience , as they say its recommendations not law. Good thing is nobody was hurt.

OP
OP
phodetheus

phodetheus

Free Member
Jan 20, 2014
Full timer
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
3 months
Think it's just one to chalk up to experience , as they say its recommendations not law. Good thing is nobody was hurt.
I agree. I'll make a big thing of it in my next book, hopefully it will save someone some money and maybe injury.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Did you look at the other tyres? Did the side walls look perished or crazed? If so tell them that.
Lorry tyres are different, many are retreaded and are generally driven for long hours at speed for long distances. Yours were not. You had the vehicle 3 months and if the tyres were in good condition when you bought it this would not have happened. Especially 2 tyres.

Think it through and send them a nice reply requesting that it may be easier that they come to some kind of agreement rather than you considering court action.

OP
OP
phodetheus

phodetheus

Free Member
Jan 20, 2014
Full timer
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
3 months
Did you look at the other tyres? Did the side walls look perished or crazed? If so tell them that.
Lorry tyres are different, many are retreaded and are generally driven for long hours at speed for long distances. Yours were not. You had the vehicle 3 months and if the tyres were in good condition when you bought it this would not have happened. Especially 2 tyres.

Think it through and send them a nice reply requesting that it may be easier that they come to some kind of agreement rather than you considering court action.

I did look at the tyres but mainly for tread and didn't notice anything untoward.

They know full well that its very unlikely to be a successful action as they have clearly outlined their defence. As the saying goes Caveat emptor a favorite with litigation defence lawyers.

OP
OP
phodetheus

phodetheus

Free Member
Jan 20, 2014
Full timer
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
3 months
The tyre experts recommend it. Do they not do so for a reason?
Yes to sell more tyres will be the argument. I would need to hire an expert witness to defend that. So far I am guessing it would cost several thousand quid to bring about an action with no guarantee of success and "they know it".

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back