German Eggs! (2 Viewers)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Following on from the current 'milk' thread.........

Has anyone else found that German chicken eggs seem to be particularly fragile with very thin shells? Also generally only white (is that why?)

Mind you, having come back to the UK we have discovered that the German eggs are really tasty (y)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
As above and the thinner shell to save on pay load the Germans think of every thing (y):whistle2:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Shell colour depends on the breed of chicken. In the UK white shells used to be popular but now brown shells are the norm. In the USA white shells are almost universal as they are seen to be "pure" here brown was marketed as "healthy" and "farm fresh"...... the best eggs are from your own hens left to wander round the garden and nibble at anything they fancy :) I miss my ladies since we gave them to a friend. When our travelling days are over we will get more hens.

In the UK the usual breed for commercial egg producers are ISA browns or Black Rocks (sometimes they have different breed names but are pretty much the same hybrids) although hobby keepers will have a greater variety of breeds. I had a mixed flock of birds and egg shells with colours ranging from green to blue to white to almost chocolate brown! The yolks were very orange :)

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Not an egg fan myself but Jan likes them.
Bought some in an Italian shop 2 days ago she reckoned the best eggs she's ever tasted.
Bought some Italian cheese as well no idea what but its cracking.
Just imagine getting good eggs n cheese in Johnny Foreigner Land eh :)

Gandhi

Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Near Glossop
Funster No
MH
bessacar E496
Exp
5 years
Can't beat monkey eggs. Much tastier!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
About 80 per egg ( a long time ago I did a 10 week calorie control diet.. That was before I found the Atkins so good ! )

So an egg salad would make a great low calorie lunch :)

I have lost 15kg since Christmas and only 8kg to go to reach my lowest target as advised by the GP :)
Done by cutting out snacks and silly things and minor substitutions. Not difficult and I don't feel hungry as I did with other diets. Also losing weight slowly which seems to help.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We've got 8 chickens at home and each variety lays eggs of a different colour and size. The shell thickness also varies from one to another with some having very thin shells.
Home reared chickens produce eggs with considerably less cholesterol than commercial eggs - they taste yummy too!
I manage to eat at least two every day and keep a low blood cholesterol level. Having said that I'm sceptical about the link between food cholesterol and blood cholesterol.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Robert - ingested cholesterol will never ADD to your blood cholesterol - that isn't what happens at all so from that point of view you can eat anything you like.

A friend of Sedge - with a congenital heart valve defect, leading to a regular blood chol reading in excess of 10, but who adopted a Paleo diet years ago did an experiment the other year and ate 2 or 3 eggs a day for a week before her blood test. Her chol reduced!

Incidentally she had her heart valve replacement just before last Xmas and one of the things they had to do was investigate to discover how good her arteries were, before they embarked on the op.

They were all completely plaque free.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The Germans also like all white asparagus, we Brits prefer it green.

But the Spanish egg market has a poo trap. We bought some eggs then tried to make an omelette - oops, they were hard boiled eggs!

But they were convenient for salads. The clue was the picture on the lid - of a boiled egg. Bit of a giveaway when you spotted it!

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
White Asparagus or Spargel as they call, it has more flavour, and less sweetness than green Asparagus.

I like it and often enjoyed a Spargel day with friends.

Bought boiled eggs in Spain too but only the once.

:cooler:

Reactions: DBK

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
It is well known that the Germans are thin skinned...

Just mention the wars or 1966...

So why would their eggs be any different???

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
White Asparagus or Spargel as they call, it has more flavour, and less
:cooler:

Ah yes, Spargel........ we certainly filled our boots! It is still in season and very reasonably priced at the moment. Best price we found was €4/kg for the thin stuff and €7/kg for the fat ones (yummy). We also discovered just in time that they need to be peeled before cooking :eek:

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Mind you........it does cause über smelly wee! :eek::eek::eek:

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
Following on from the current 'milk' thread.........

Has anyone else found that German chicken eggs seem to be particularly fragile with very thin shells? Also generally only white (is that why?)

Mind you, having come back to the UK we have discovered that the German eggs are really tasty (y)

Ze chickens have to have blonde feathers and blue eyes. :LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back