Yet Another Change (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Went out yesterday with hubby in tow to look at a Fleetwood Heritage caravan.....the struggle to get in has decided the caravan versus Motorhome debate for us. It has to be a Motorhome for definite. At least that issue has finally been put to bed.

We then went and looked at a few motorhomes versus PVC and the jury is still out on that one. I think now it comes down to what's available, at what price and how much to adapt it. Personally I think, 2 people, 2 dogs and a wheelchair requires something larger than a PVC. Or a PVC each should do the trick! :clap2:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I think you would be tripping over each other and everything with all that in a PVC, it depends how and where you are going to use it but I like plenty of space, I dont want to park it in one space in a car park, I dont want to go to the shops in it, BUT I do want plenty of living space. Garage for the chair and you can stick the dogs in there as well for a bit of peace and quiet.

Good luck with your search.

Martin

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
A late friend of ours,towed her mobility scooter on a little trailer behind a kontiki.it worked quite well for them. We have a PVC,because it works for us, i think Wildax of Elland do a PVC that is already adapted,worth a look on't tinternet. Best of luck with your searching.
Tea Bag

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you're gonna tow your hubby then a PVC may be big enough!

Gandhi

Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Near Glossop
Funster No
MH
bessacar E496
Exp
5 years
If we were based 500 miles south of Jersey somewhere on the continent then I would opt for a PVC as I would live 'out' of it because the weather is guaranteed for 7 months of the year. However experience of British weather suggests you tend to live 'in' them on this island. It was this reasoning that made me buy as big as possible. (6 berth , U shaped lounge etc).

Really glad we did. When it's grey and damp outside we can still lounge around inside watching TV and stretching out as opposed to tripping over each other - and everything we own.

If parking at home isn't a factor then the difference that an extra 5 or 6 feet makes is immeasurable. We had narrowboats for years and the old adage 'Get as big as you can' is quoted again and again by boaters for a reason.

OP
OP
Cat53
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
It's possible that when touring the UK we will take the car along as well, to allow us to park in the Towns and Cities we may want to explore. We won't do this if we are opting for a scenic holiday. Abroad, that's not an option so we will have to see how we get on. To be honest most cities are appalling for wheelchairs. Adverse cambers, cobbles, high kerbs, narrow pavements, steps and steep hills and that seems to be so the world over. So we avoid them unless we are going to them for a purpose....like the theatre.

Gandhi

Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Near Glossop
Funster No
MH
bessacar E496
Exp
5 years
It's possible that when touring the UK we will take the car along as well, to allow us to park in the Towns and Cities we may want to explore. We won't do this if we are opting for a scenic holiday. Abroad, that's not an option so we will have to see how we get on. To be honest most cities are appalling for wheelchairs. Adverse cambers, cobbles, high kerbs, narrow pavements, steps and steep hills and that seems to be so the world over. So we avoid them unless we are going to them for a purpose....like the theatre.

Your wheelchair reference is exactly the reason we opted for a big motor home. My wife's bad back means we can drop a small electric 'nanbretta' under the dining table and not be tripping over it all the time.

OP
OP
Cat53
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Your wheelchair reference is exactly the reason we opted for a big motor home. My wife's bad back means we can drop a small electric 'nanbretta' under the dining table and not be tripping over it all the time.

What's a 'nanbretta'?

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
It's possible that when touring the UK we will take the car along as well, to allow us to park in the Towns and Cities we may want to explore. We won't do this if we are opting for a scenic holiday.

Really? Not wanting to put the cat amongst the pigeons but if you feel the need to tow a car then why not tow a caravan?....... bigger, cheaper, more comfortable and you will always have the car available!

I speak as a 'PVC'er and I do agree about the size thing (not so much the UK thing) but what I don't understand is why go to all the bother of a motorhome, then tow a car behind? If you intend to use sites and perhaps stay a few days then caravans offer much more choice and cash saving........ surely?

:)

OP
OP
Cat53
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Really? Not wanting to put the cat amongst the pigeons but if you feel the need to tow a car then why not tow a caravan?....... bigger, cheaper, more comfortable and you will always have the car available!

I speak as a 'PVC'er and I do agree about the size thing (not so much the UK thing) but what I don't understand is why go to all the bother of a motorhome, then tow a car behind? If you intend to use sites and perhaps stay a few days then caravans offer much more choice and cash saving........ surely?

:)

That's what we thought, but it's the access issue in a caravan. We have dealt with ramps in the past and they are a right pain. Cumbersome to open and too heavy for me to do on my own. So we want a cassette lift and these cannot be fitted to a caravan. ( have seen some caravans with them fitted, but have been advised that they don't meet UK standards and will put undue strain on the chassis.) and we won't be towing a car behind. We will drive both vehicles. As I say it will only be for some holidays. Maybe to visit say Tunbridge Wells, for example. Depends what we want to do.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back