Feb 25, 2009
dorset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1972
the inside it the thetford cassette is beginning to look a tad iffy

i had tried one of the bio prodouctfs with little success, it's been soaked in this solition for hours, then been given the large bottle brush treatment.

My next plan of attack is a mild solition of industrial strength caustic soda.,

soak for a hour them standing a safe distance blasting it with a Karkercher

Any ideas please

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
I found using the stuff that cleans and sterilises wine making and beer brewing kit quite effective - trade name is Chempro SDP but you used to be able to get an equivalent in most Wilkinson stores or home brew suppliers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I steam clean mine by pouring boiling water and detergent in, closing all its orifices and giving it a good shake. There are enough small gaps for the steam to get out.

You might get a result with some low grade Cola - Sainsbury's Basics at 10p a litre strips metal.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
use calgone the stuff you use in washing machine stick some water in till nearly full drop three tabs in and levee for three days
.if you can drive around with it even better
bill

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Thetford Cassette cleaner? Gets all the scale off. Then afterwards use biological washing liquid instead of Loo Blue and you won't get any great build-up.

White vinegar might do it, but I've never tried it.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Cheap white vinegar in 4ltr containers from a cash & carry. Also does showerheads and kettles, etc, which suffer from limescale/calcium build up.

Also good for descaling your stainless steel Truma boiler. (see instruction manual).

Cheers,

Jock.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I find that one of the best ways to deform the seals is to leave the cartridge fully shut when the MH isn't in use. My first seal went very quickly, whereas my second one has lasted 8 years.

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
A toothbrush and one's Memsahib...

Of course if you still have servants...

A good riding crop until they've got it spotless!!!

OP
OP
tinkering

tinkering

Free Member
Feb 25, 2009
dorset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1972
Thanks all,
I'm trying some soda at the moment,it seems to be bleaching the scale but as yet has not moved it

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Thanks all,
I'm trying some soda at the moment,it seems to be bleaching the scale but as yet has not moved it
Soda wont shift it as it is alkali just like lime scale.
You need acid vinegar even cheep cola but calgone will do the job I do my drains tanks and bog with it works a treat
bill

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Bicarbonate of soda and white vinegar will clean most things - add it to water with a bit of washing up liquid to clean a tank. The mixture fizzes up so don't over fill. It also cleans waste traps in showers and sinks used neat and followed with boiling water. My mother told me this years ago and I didn't believe her (the arrogance of youth) - she was right.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Mmm so how often do you have to look at the inside of a cassette. Does it matter if it is not pretty?

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
I am experimenting with cleaning the cassette at the moment. About a year ago I used the thetford proper stuff and it lifted a lot of the scale off bearing in mind the cassette was 5 years old, came away in lumps after soaking for a good 10/12 hours but never got it all off. Now I am trying 2 litres of tesco cola been in there 3 hours up to now so will let you know what happens. We have a spare cassette so might leave it in there for 24 hours. Next will be vinegar depending how well the cola works, then back to thetford and if all else fails sandblast it.....that's a joke.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back