Replacing The Lpg Pipework Myself? (1 Viewer)

Eco Sarah

Free Member
May 26, 2015
West Wales
Funster No
MH
iveco 49-10
Exp
since last centurary
Don't know if this is a question for the beginner section....

I've had my bus 1.5 yrs and the self builder who put the gas pipes in had either no idea or no time. Anyway, we've been without gas for a month or two and no it is too hot to light the wood burner to cook. The problem is that the pipes go across the cupboards, so when you put things in or out, it gets knocked!!

They are 6.5mm (don't know what that is in imperial, which presumably it is), and I have a bunch of questions. The easiest is: where can I find info to help me make safe decisions about size of pipe and how to route it. I have worked on narrow boats and used to know a bunch about fitting gas systems: but forgotten some of it now!

I am not looking to be told how dangerous DIY gas is - so if you are worried remember I have been living with a very badly done system, which leaked regularly until I disconnected it! I am looking for constructive advice ie what to do, not what not to do. many thanks in advance....

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I am afraid you may draw a blank with that question as a competent person would know or know where to look for details they have forgotten. Professionals will not be complicit in advising any amateur gas installation plus it will invalidate your insurance if you do it yourself.
too long an answer Pappajohn beat me to it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
are you just going to tidy up your existing system or re do the whole lot... what have you at present.. ie bulk head regulator feeding sounds like 1/4 '' cu pipe ..
if you intend re doing the system the new regulator will dictate the pipework and fitting sizes I would think..
re route your pipework so that its not getting knocked and abused,
I found everything I needed for the gas system I installed at Hamilton gas.. in northern Ireland I think..
what sort of cylinder storage have you... does it have a drop out hole, is it purpose made and sealed or just a space under seats etc... you can find all sorts on a self build:)
I see there have been posts advising to have it done by a professional , but like you I prefer to do a job myself if I can... just check it for leaks , we all had to start somewhere
last comment,, lol are you on the self build forum site... they would offer all the advice you need.
ta andy

Reactions: JJ
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Eco Sarah

Eco Sarah

Free Member
May 26, 2015
West Wales
Funster No
MH
iveco 49-10
Exp
since last centurary
thanks for taking the time to write guys, and your concern and hmmm those were the answers I hoping not to get! I can understand if someone doesn't want to advise me - and as wildman says, professionals wont want to take the risk, but there must be some self-builders out there, and some people who remember doing it before all the regularions?

I will probably be doing it myself - with advice or not! It was a bit different on the boats but the gas installations passed the safety tests, so I can't be that incompetent! (To answer about insurance, it is a self build, without any habitation cert - obviously because the system was completely amateur - and insured as a modified van) .

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Eco Sarah

Eco Sarah

Free Member
May 26, 2015
West Wales
Funster No
MH
iveco 49-10
Exp
since last centurary
Hi Andy, sorry you weren't included in my last post, you posted just as I pressed post.... will reply to you in a minute

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Well as Andy said it is probably imperial 1/4" pipe. Didn't even think that it was obtainable now except if it was refrigeration pipe ?
Pipe should be 8mm minimum or 10mm & step down for various appliances.most valve/fittings are metric now.
If you attempted to run 2 or 3 things at once on 1/4 pipe the gas flow would be too slow.

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
adaptors are around to use all sizes of pipe .
my gas lights use 3/16th pipe .
hamiltons are good but i tend to use BES plumbing services . try a google .
nice and cheap bes .

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
8mm is what I used. Installing gas pipe is not that difficult if you are handy with your tools. If you know how to bend copper pipe without kinking it and if you know how to tighten up a compression joint properly you should have no problems.

10mm pipe is also available but as most of my fittings were 8mm I went with that. Don't use PTFE tape on compression joints and don't over tighten. Test properly after installation.

If you do it yourself and you are not familiar with gas plumbing I highly recommend you get it pressure tested. Possible a good compromise would be for you to route all the pipework and get a plumber to connect everything and test. Not many plumbers would be interested in doing the pipework in a motorhome I am guessing due to lack of familiarity and concern about risks.

Upvote 0

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
There are proper formulae for working out pipe sizes according to length of pipe runs, KW rating of appliances and number of bends/joints in pipework. This is one of the areas of required learning for ACOPS certification. The risk is if you use pipe of too small diameter it will restrict the gas flow to the appliances.

D.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Chances are 8 mm pipe will be used on the gas side of things (y)Compression fittings as well as pipe is ready available from toolstation/b &q etc -
terry

Reactions: JJ
Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes but not the ones that grow on trees in spain or morocco. ha ha .
or popeyes bird .

Upvote 0
Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
When I installed a gas cooker on my boat, the surveyor who granted my Safety Certificate recommended that I fitted a gas leak bubble detector. About £45 from Hamiltons. It gives me confidence to be able to easily check for leaks before every voyaage. Fits in the gas locker. I plan to fit one in the MH.
John

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back