Do Most People Have Multiple Toilet Cassettes? (1 Viewer)

Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Newbie, caravanner since 2008
Ruddy 3-day weekend. :rolleyes:
Despite many, many trips to the hotel's toilets, (and being out a lot) the dreaded red light on our thetford had activated by Sunday afternoon.
How on earth does everyone manage at those temporary holiday site meets/long weekends where they state 'own sanitation essential'?
Now I know that Dethleffs didn't build a spare shelf in the garage for nothing.:LOL:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we have a 120litre black tank and still carry a cassette just in case :D

I does also provide us with an option to decant to elsans, not all sites are black tank friendly

at least with a black tank we can control the flush (ie don't all the time)

if we had a cassette we would definitely have a spare

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Ours lasts 3- 4 days with everything going in, & we have spare in the garage.
Also use a spray bottle & only flush on big jobs, not only makes the cassette last longer, but also makes our water supply last longer.

Also depends which model you have, C200 16Lt, C250 17Lt, C400 19Lt, older C400 without wheels 20Lt.
Ours is a 19Lt C400.

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
where they state 'own sanitation essential'?
Having your "own sanitation" just means having an on board toilet .... these sites will provide an Elsan Point at which you (or in most cases the male partner) can empty your cassette.

We also carry a spare cassette for wild camping but have never had to use it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Another one who uses a water spray instead of flushing each time.
Also I put laundry powder into the cassette and don't add water--never had a problem & no smell.
All THS have to provide an Elsan point as do campsites where they don't have toilets.
The only time I've wished I had a spare cassette was when I wild camped for 3 night where my cat was having a major op.
Got back to a campsite with no problems but think another day would have been a problem---and I'm only one using the loo.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jeannette van den Oever
Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Definitely no 'jobs' allowed in our van anymore after our Easter trip. Has eliminated all smells, I'm happy to say.
May be going wrong with using too much water to flush (stupid sticky loo roll) and seal. Should probably go Greek and pop it in the bin!

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We have a spare cassette but rarely use it. When on rallies or THSs Joe just empties the cassette when necessary. Only have the spare for wilding so not been used much as usually use aires when abroad and most have somewhere to empty the cassette.

Denise

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jeannette van den Oever
Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Open the flap and go straight down the hole in the middle, followed by a minimal flush - clothes peg optional.
Sounds good in theory, Magicsurfbus, but only 1/6 of us have a directional 'hose'. Bit like asking a girl to pee in one of those stupid universal tubes they hand over at the doctors. No wonder the receptionists get patients to put them in the plastic specimen bags themselves. :D

Upvote 0

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
We also have a spare but only used it once.
Met a couple on a beach car park in Portugal who recommended not peeing in the cassette at all when in a wilding situation.
Men "go for a walk". Ladies pee in an empty 6 litre water bottle(appropriate funnel device required)!
To my amazement my very ladylike wife preferred staying at the beach for 6 days at a time by doing this!
I expected a "not a chance" and a 3 day limit(or fill both cassettes).
Obviously the morning after, wee wee was descretely disposed of in wooded area a decent distance from any onlookers.
Mind you, when cassette emptying at a local service area much rinsing with clean water was essential . Not at all as bad as you'd think though.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
[QUOTE="Jeannette van den Oever, post: 1430875, member: 33977" Should probably go Greek and pop it in the bin![/QUOTE]

Same as here. lol
Last year we looked after a friends house in Devon for a few days. She'd said it was a septic tank so wife replied "oh same as ours then , no paper down it"
"what ?" was the reply " What do you do with it?"
"put paper in the bin "
" that's disgusting no it all goes down septic tank "
When we arrived we found 'post-it' notes on all the bins in toilets with
" Don't even think about it " .lol :LOL:

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
I empty the cassette almost every day, never know when the next aire has blocked facilities. Minimal flush, now if i can just persuade john to stop using quilted toilet paper all will be well.

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Definitely no 'jobs' allowed in our van anymore after our Easter trip. Has eliminated all smells, I'm happy to say.
May be going wrong with using too much water to flush (stupid sticky loo roll) and seal. Should probably go Greek and pop it in the bin!

So it's YOUR family to blame for giving us dog owners a bad name for not picking up!
I'd rather just go in the cassette!:)

Upvote 0

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
We also have a spare but only used it once.
Met a couple on a beach car park in Portugal who recommended not peeing in the cassette at all when in a wilding situation.
Men "go for a walk". Ladies pee in an empty 6 litre water bottle(appropriate funnel device required)!
To my amazement my very ladylike wife preferred staying at the beach for 6 days at a time by doing this!
I expected a "not a chance" and a 3 day limit(or fill both cassettes).
Obviously the morning after, wee wee was descretely disposed of in wooded area a decent distance from any onlookers.
Mind you, when cassette emptying at a local service area much rinsing with clean water was essential . Not at all as bad as you'd think though.
Not knocking Gibbon, it's a good idea, BUT, when I suggested that grey water could be put down a grid, a bunch of arsehole dogooders said it would lead to the end of the World, completely forgetting that when at home that's what happens ! What about washing vehicles with detergents etc. where the F do they think that grey water goes then !
Rant over, now waiting for the flack from the "dogooders ":reel:

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
Ruddy 3-day weekend. :rolleyes:
Despite many, many trips to the hotel's toilets, (and being out a lot) the dreaded red light on our thetford had activated by Sunday afternoon.
How on earth does everyone manage at those temporary holiday site meets/long weekends where they state 'own sanitation essential'?
Now I know that Dethleffs didn't build a spare shelf in the garage for nothing.:LOL:
yes we have an additional one, why wouldn't you:cool:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jeannette van den Oever
Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
I'm embarrassed to say I had to put a pint of amber nectar down the sink on our last morning, before the pub unlocked it's doors at 7. :whistle:
Upside of this thread is I've probably picked up enough tips to extend the life of my cassette by at least 50%, so will hang fire on spending on another one right away. (y)

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I used to have 2 but I found I didn't plan ahead and relied on having the two casettes. For the last 5 years I have only had 1 and can make it last 7-8 days if no beer is involved.

I fulltime so I have the timing down to a fine art now.

Oh and as all fulltimers do. I empty grey and black at every opportunity and fill up with fresh. You never know where you will be able to next time.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jeannette van den Oever
Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
yes we have an additional one, why wouldn't you:cool:
Absolutely bubble63, I've no excuse.
Despite having 2 degrees and being an avid reader, I missed the important lesson on how one must scientifically measure ones urine output before taking the plunge into MH ownership. Must have got blinded by all the discussions on power requirements instead. :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jeannette van den Oever
Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
I used to have 2 but I found I didn't plan ahead and relied on having the two casettes. For the last 5 years I have only had 1 and can make it last 7-8 days if no beer is involved.
Aaaah - it's the beer!
Could have gone very differently when I decided to try my first ever pint of IPA. It tasted of vinegar (bottom of barrel), but the barman was a quick worker, so I had a pint of something else in my hand before I could say 'fish and chips'.

Upvote 0
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Pee in a bottle, poo in the loo! Not going into detail here but you can manage a week that way very easily :rolleyes:

On a more base level, the loo will smell less, it is the urine that creates the smell....

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back