Trip To The Weigh Bridge (1 Viewer)

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now šŸ˜¢
Exp
I am trying to loose weight again honestly!

Went to local scrap yard this morning fully ladened supposedly just having on board what we need for the trip, barring fridge contents, TV and a few items of clothing that are still to process, we filled fresh water to 60 litres yesterday and filled Diesel to top this morning both sat in it .......

Front Axel 1840 KG
Rear 3160 KG

Total 5020

Our permitted weight is 5000 KG

Got home checked and found 40 litres in waste tank, drained that and found 10 more kilos of things I dont mind leaving at home.

Reckon we are Ok if we are careful, make sure we dont really add much to it and carry not much water on return journey.

We have 2 Bikes in the garage, a kayak, Helmets for both, a spare wheel, gas and electric cobb, 2 chairs and a huge tool box that husband insists he needs. I have got rid of his baked beans and got him down to 1 pair of speedo's. But I have kept the cointreau and the baileys.

2 questions really

Is it Ok for the rear Tag and its overhang are so much heavier bearing in mind that the water, fuel and us are at the front?

What is the tolerance for going over?

Many Thanks

Janet

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I dont think there is a tolerance but don't think you need worry re 20 kg. from memory:( fines start from 100kg ? below that the only requirement is to unload before you proceed...but I am far from sure on this!whatwever happens they will want yo to unload on te spot:coffee:

But what is rear axle capacity on plate as you don't say? as they will want that within limits i should think...

found this: http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/overweight-fines.17347/

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Granjan
Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now šŸ˜¢
Exp
I dont think there is a tolerance but don't think you need worry re 20 kg. from memorey fines strat from 100kg but no sure! But what is rear axle capacity on plate as you don't say? as they will want that within limits i should think...

Thanks for replies, not sure husband will agree to another trip to the scales, we just weighed the whole, the front and the back, are we likely to be much heavier at one side than the other?

We can rejigg garage to get one side heavier than the other, and we could put Kayak inside at front that is 20 kilos.

Oh dear I had better do a bit more home work and look for individual Axel weights just looked at the main handbook on line, we are the i810G?
image.jpg

How much over are you on each individual axle?

Dont know ? Will try and find out I have conformity details in MH will go and look at that.

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Thanks for replies, not sure husband will agree to another trip to the scales, we just weighed the whole, the front and the back, are we likely to be much heavier at one side than the other?

We can rejigg garage to get one side heavier than the other, and we could put Kayak inside at front that is 20 kilos.

Oh dear I had better do a bit more home work and look for individual Axel weights just looked at the main handbook on line, we are the i810G?View attachment 63677

Dont know ? Will try and find out I have conformity details in MH will go and look at that.

you don't need go anywhere? you have the loaded axle weights from your visit? just need to look at manufacturers plate and see what the weigh limits are (to see if your within them)

Bless......you dont get axle weights in a brochure:giggle:

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

You should find a plate on the side, usually by the door that will quote front and rear axles and combined total, although the figures do not have names to help us unknowing types :smiley:

From memory top is front axle, next rear then total then total towing, not sure how yours works being a tag axle

A call to SV Tech I reckon, we did, added 500kg for Ā£300 nothing to change other than the V5 and stick on a new weight plate :clap:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Granjan
Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now šŸ˜¢
Exp
It is in German which I don't speak but think think it shows the weights for each Axel at 2100, 1500, and 1500. I dont know how I would measure weigh the middle on its own! I am also seeing the note at 16.4 which seems to say 6000 kilo total ? But dont know what it actually says here.
image.jpg

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
drive on weighbridge with one axle , then another . then the other . taking the weights as you go
axle 1=
axle 1+2=
axle 1+2+3=
that gives all the weights you need total and each axle weight.

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
The rear axle weights will be closely balanced enough not to worry about individual measurements.

You are overweight by 160kg across the 2 rear axles though. You need to move some stuff forwards!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Granjan
Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now šŸ˜¢
Exp
Thanks everyone will move some things forward. Can think of quite a bit already shouldnt be a problem. :whew: :cheers::)

We were thinking we would downsize in a couple of years ...would have to give up or not take the toys ! Makes you think!

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
drive on weighbridge with one axle , then another . then the other . taking the weights as you go
axle 1=
axle 1+2=
axle 1+2+3=
that gives all the weights you need total and each axle weight.

watch out though, we got caught out by a ramped access and exit from weighbridge, offsets quite a bit of weight, so our axles weighed more than the total when whole MH on bridge, by about 150kg (y)

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes in the ideal world you need a flat drive on /off . they are around .
several round here with scrap yards and the china clay industry . etc all need regular weighings of trucks and will normally do yours .

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Granjan
Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now šŸ˜¢
Exp
The scap yard was very flat and very clean. We must have been very overweight when we took adult relatives / friends away with us!

We will be calling SV tech when we get home.

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i know down here i regularly have to take vehicles to the ministry station . talking with them about the weighing on the road side , they laugh and say almost every m,home they weigh is over weight.
bigger, rv type or the truck campers are ok. they cant understand why before the licence changes every m,home wasnt built on a 7.5 ton chassis . they know most cant even carry the amount of people the camper can sleep. never mind food clothing etc .

Upvote 0

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
So why don't they tell trading standards instead of just having a laugh about it!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Granjan
Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now šŸ˜¢
Exp
Ok we were 160k over on combined rear Axels but only 20k over as a whole ... so having drained 40K (litres) of waste water, tinned food and quite a few non essential items 40K we have resorted to moving 50k of bulky gear forward from the huge garage to inside, under the table at the front and laid several more items across the above cab bed, we now have a garage that is more than half empty :rolleyes:and a living space that looks a bit cluttered and cramped. :oops:
The items in the garage are not as well braced (n)and items may slide around on the floor inside. :(
The front lockers inside and out are half empty and only have light weight items in them as they arnt big enough to take the bulky items anyway and I wouldnt want heavy items flying around at height.
Seems crackers really, I can see that items will move back into the garage as we go!
On the whole unless we upgrade by a few hundred kilos the MH garage space and extra travelling seats are not fit for purpose. We could only take a mass of polystyrene and a couple of toddlers! Thank god we don't have a black tank!

Anyway I am happy that the exercise in conformity has been completed and I know to replace water with wine on the trip home and keep the boxes in the front so no worries!

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
At least your making the effort to get to grips with the situation...would be amazed of the number that could not give a flying :)

Overloaded, badly loaded vans a menace to the rest of us. Handling and breaking distances and insurance all affected.....

Just need to look properly at what you need to carry, not what you think you need... Economies easy to make

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Perhaps of interest but VOSA has to allow a 5% overload before they can issue a fine,
Between 0% and 5% overload you get a warning, this is to allow commercial loads that may increase in weight in transit due to rain/snow or other factors,

Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
has any one actually ben stopped not some one who knows of a cousin who was stopped bit like gassing
bill

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes i have . not in my present one . but in a vw camper.
they are very often out on the A30 not far from my place.
specially on a saturday in the summer .
another place is gordanos service station . in summer they are very often doing checks there.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Granjan
Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now šŸ˜¢
Exp
Presumably it could void your insurance if you were way over and involved in an accident. I was very surprised that we were over and think for the sake of a few quid and a bit of juggling you need to know. I now have a very good idea how to keep the weight good as we travel and accept I must upgrade to take adult passengers, if we left the bikes and kayak at home we would still not have enough payload.

Upvote 0

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Well done you've done it properly.
The very reason Im always banging on about getting weighed at a proper weighbridge there is no alternative way of knowing.

Dealers dont know payloads and even if they did they wouldn't tell you.
Silly little expensive plates you drive over are so innacurate they're a joke.
A tenner to get an exact weight is cheap.

In my opinion all motorhome should be sold with a up to date weighbridge ticket.
Never happen because a large percentage are not fit for purpose or use. Amazing that such expensive items can be manufactured and sold in such a dishonest fashion.

Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I have had my van waged three times now with my shelf the wife dog the weeman bikes and tank full of water every thing we would normally carry and never ben over 3.2 tones.
max for this van is 3.5 tones
when I first got it I filed every thing to the max loaded every thing I would need plus a few other things
it weight in at 3.6 tones dumped the Gray tank weight 3.4 tones (y)
bill

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I have had my van waged three times now with my shelf the wife dog the weeman bikes and tank full of water every thing we would normally carry and never ben over 3.2 tones.
max for this van is 3.5 tones
when I first got it I filed every thing to the max loaded every thing I would need plus a few other things
it weight in at 3.6 tones dumped the Gray tank weight 3.4 tones (y)
bill

out of interest what van have you please?

Eddie

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back