Grey Water And Smelly Tank (1 Viewer)

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Adapt the drainage system so that it drains completely! Every tank I've ever had has the outlet about 1/2" above the bottom of the tank so the fetid water never drains. I worked around this with
Broken Link Removed
Hope it helps! - I may if the link actually worked!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Adapt the drainage system so that it drains completely! Every tank I've ever had has the outlet about 1/2" above the bottom of the tank so the fetid water never drains completely. I altered the drainage by taking off the large screw cap on the bottom of the tank, drilled a large hole in it and fitted a sink waste outlet and connected a hose to it which I led to the side of the van with tap. Now when I empty the tank ALL the contents of the tank are flushed out (Quickly!) and, voila!, no more smells! CAK tanks may have the bits you need - I bought a spare large screw tap - just in case!

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I was told that bleach was a NO NO. Others have suggested cheap Orange Soda,,

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Our thinking that if that crap will clean old 2p's up it will clean the tank.:LOL:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Used to use pure orange juice occasionally which worked really well, but when we returned from Spain I decided a long term cure was needed, so I replaced the trap under the main sink with a better one.. no probs at all ever since !

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we only notice ours smelling when driving, then only if we open a window, seems to draw the pong back up, so we travel with plugs pushed in, works for us, don't breath when emptying :D or walk away

Other than that you could fit E + P levelling rams, they give us an option to tip our MH up on one side (not literally but up to about 30 degrees) fully drains then :), 20p cola may be preferable to £5K rams :LOL:

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
When we notice ours smelling a bit I put some Zoflora and water in there and we travel home then let it go. Gives it a good swish round while travelling.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
we only notice ours smelling when driving, then only if we open a window, seems to draw the pong back up, so we travel with plugs pushed in, works for us, don't breath when emptying :D or walk away

Other than that you could fit E + P levelling rams, they give us an option to tip our MH up on one side (not literally but up to about 30 degrees) fully drains then :), 20p cola may be preferable to £5K rams :LOL:
20p cola, ooooooooooooo, your posh encha.;)

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
12 litres of Aldi's finest 17p Cola poured down the drain. Hope it works.

As a side issue, if the Cola is 17p that's cheaper than water, how do they make a profit on it, the bottle, transport etc etc. And other Cola's are over £1+ for the same.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I was very sceptical about all this 'Cola Caper' until I tried 10 bottles of the cheap stuff from Asda......... to my complete amazement it worked! What I did find however was that as the cola fizzed up it gradually took longer and longer to makes its way down the plug hole. Any way, drove for an hour or so, emptied the tank..... flushed through with fresh water...... result!

(how can anyone actually drink Asda cola :eek::eek:)

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!

As a side issue, if the Cola is 17p that's cheaper than water, how do they make a profit on it, the bottle, transport etc etc. And other Cola's are over £1+ for the same.
Cheaper than water ..........use a bleedin tap ! :whistle2:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

Cola cordial used to cost less than 1p for a pint when I worked in a pub. Add the price of CO2, water and wages, overheads etc, a pint of cola cost a pub less than 10p (which really pi$$es me off when they charge so much for it over the bar). On Asda's scale of operation, I would guess that they still make a profit on 17p unless it is a loss leader for them. Coke cola on the other hand have to make a humungous profit to pay their executives huge salaries and sponsor sports events etc to entertain themselves.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Best solution I find is to leave the grey tank 1/3 full when leaving site and empty as soon as getting home ..... just watch the crud pour out.(y)
I think it also helps if the waste water is warm.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back