Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
So I just bought this:

$_57.JPG

Deposit paid and collecting Saturday all being well...

It is the perfect layout and in great condition but it misses one item from our list... a shower.

It has a toilet cubicle which looks big enough and there is a water heater that is currently broken but as it is a cascade 2 I think is easy enough to service or replace.

$_57.JPG

So the question being of course, anyone done it, what should I look out for, where do I start and well actually, do any of you lovely traders on here want to offer me a rough idea of what it would cost for a professional to do it?

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Looking at it, I would say the wall`s are not water proof..

PM Terry a member on here,,,, what he dont know aint worth knowing...

He may pick up on this thread.... (y)

OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Looking at it, I would say the wall`s are not water proof..

PM Terry a member on here,,,, what he dont know aint worth knowing...

He may pick up on this thread.... (y)

thanks... I know @Terry is very busy with his conversion and I am watching his thread as well as others to see if they give away clues as to their shower fitting.. in terms of water proofing it seems there are a couple of options, properly wet line it (I like the sparkle board I saw on a thread.. think that was Terry's) although I have read that getting that wrong makes things worse than getting the other option wrong which is splash proofing with lino or similar and using a shower curtain..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
We had a similar toilet in our last caravan, shower screen was a pain, think you need to lift out the bog, refit it on a full size shower tray and then sparkle board it out. Best budget for a new handbrake cable too, unless the brick is included in the sale :D

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you can treat it with resin and get the sparkle blown on . . a few of my friends have it, . another mate does it . duraflake he trades under . can make most surfaces watertight . various colour flakes to suit your taste.
another way is to use swimming pool paint. must say havent seen it here but know a few in spain that have used it . ok if you like a bluey green .

OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
you can treat it with resin and get the sparkle blown on . . a few of my friends have it, . another mate does it . duraflake he trades under . can make most surfaces watertight . various colour flakes to suit your taste.
another way is to use swimming pool paint. must say havent seen it here but know a few in spain that have used it . ok if you like a bluey green .

that duraflake looks very nice.. I am willing to bet it would cost a tidy penny to get that done but I think the end result would be brilliant.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
heres one of them . almost all the walls were done in it Broken Link Removed
some have more colour and more sparkle . if i,m right it was about 300 quid to do all the truck.
that was awhile ago. . goes on steel ally wood you name it .
the purple truck in the other pics as a real green purple sparkly finish .
makes it look real factory finish.
sorry looks like link never worked but its on jims other site motorhome365

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
Magnum Motorhomes sell all you need. Waterproof boards, shower trays etc.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
When installing the shower tray make sure you buy one with the drain hole away from where you will stand or step into the shower otherwise it will crack or break fairly soon! We had a caravan shower with a badly designed shower tray like that.

OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Magnum Motorhomes sell all you need. Waterproof boards, shower trays etc.

@Daz n Tina thanks I will check them out..

When installing the shower tray make sure you buy one with the drain hole away from where you will stand or step into the shower otherwise it will crack or break fairly soon! We had a caravan shower with a badly designed shower tray like that.

That's great advice thank you @Abacist

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Ralph has done something that would suit your size bathroom. The only joins are in the corners . The sparkle board he used are in big sheets and cut to size, not strips. He totally reinforced the shower tray underneath . We have a padded mat down to protect the tray when not in use. A trigger shower on the wall. The toilet fits on top off the shower tray. So you may be able to buy one that suits yours too.
image.jpg

The shower is the thing we've had to compromise on with our self build. Having had a separate full size one with the last mh.
But it's the only thing we have compromised . It's great for washing your bits and bobs. :blush: Back against the wall where the plug is , shower curtain protects the door.
If we are away for any length of time we shall book in somewhere for me to wash my hair. I'm lucky to have thick hair that I only wash once a week ! Not everyday like some ladies.
Saying that, if that's you on your avatar pic. You look like you've got a lot of hair , so you'd have to book in somewhere too ......

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
As you've got a flat walled oblong washroom it shouldn't be difficult to do as has been said.

As for hair washing - I tend to wash it either whilst in the shower or alternatively over the kitchen sink - I put water in the washing up bowl and set it thoroughly, then move the bowl out to the side whilst I put the shampoo on my hair and give it a good lathering, then using a small jug I rinse it with the water from the washing up bowl ... simple and easy ... if it's nice weather I have been know to wash it outside!

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi the sparkle boards are now available on e bay for around a fiver a board -250 mm wide (10 ins) they were £10 not long ago in lots of colours --dead easy to cut and fit all you do is seal down the joins with clr silicon -also get starter trims -If you cannot get a shower tray to fit get some contract flooring -the stuff in pub loo's /hospital s etc remove loo cut some triangular timber /fillet( about 2 ins ) to allow the flooring a nice curve to bend up then run /stick the flooring down and up sides 3 / 4 ins and let the boards run over the flooring by a inch or two -I usually get my mate to weld the flooring but if he cannot get into do it we simply sick a load of polyurethane sealant (puraflex 40 from toolstation)under the cnrs and bed it on that finishing the top (seen ) bits with masking tape neatly --I also find the where I want to put the drain I feather the floor 3 ins to nothing around the drain bit before glueing the the floor down, and drilling for the drain outlet -this helps drain the water -I use the belt sander for ease but a sharp chisel and care can get the same result ;)--Do a search for sparkle board on ebay -The company I used to get mine from has sold out and the people who bought it are the ones advertising on ebay --from Durham -- My mates dad owned it and they used to buy it off him for 4 quid and sell it for a tenner a board -always said I could have it for 4 but always charged me 5 :eek::LOL::ROFLMAO:
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back