Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Just recently home from a three week jog round our provinces ie Europe, sorry mainly Germany. Spoilt a little by the inconsiderate lack of fresh milk. :( Our pucka UK stash ran out about day five.:cry:

How are we ever to consider them civilised when it is so difficult to make a decent cup of tea. They are at a serious disadvantage. No wonder so many of the blighters want to come here ! ;)

Do you seasoned tourers have secret suppliers or do you end up resorting to the coffee demon with jars of coffeemate ? :whistle:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
You would have difficulty identifying long life fully slimmed milk in cartons from fresh skimmed milk. Put it in the fridge before you open it and it drinks like fresh milk. The rest will keep for months unopened. I prefer Asda's but they are all ok.(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Earl Grey with a slice of lemon is very refreshing during the day but we do use real milk for the first couple of cups in the morning - although you do have to search it out in Spain.

At least they don't use Carnation milk in their tea here - which they do in some countries. That is an acquired taste!

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Rooibos tea....no milk
Black coffee
Koko milk on cereal ( from coconuts).

Am sure we used to get milk from the German hypermarkets....but maybe it was the NAFFI! Well it was the early 80s.....many moons ago now!

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I do believe that the further you travel south, the warmer it becomes and milk is not a great fan of 'warm'. So the further you travel south the less likely that you will find 'fresh' milk, although Spain nowadays does tend to keep a few bottles in the supermarkets fridges.
My personal answer is to replace milk with Sangria out of the fridge, its great on cornflakes, in tea, coffee, pastry, Sangria shakes etc.
Have you any idea what part of the cow milk comes from?
Sangria comes from a bottle, which is far more hygienic.

Styx

Free Member
May 1, 2010
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Depends on the quantity you think you'll need, of course, and the facilities you have available but you can freeze fresh milk - just leave room in the container for expansion and defrost in the fridge
May be the answer for an emergency pint or two... (y)

OP
OP
Moodybrook

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Seems like I am not the last man standing. They have refrigeration so what happened to teutonic mania for organising things. We saw probably thousands of cows, dairy cattle, WHY, they can't make a decent cheddar either !!

UHT milk, has to be the most pointless article invented. When it ends up tasting and smelling like soured milk, why bother ? :rolleyes:

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Depends on the quantity you think you'll need, of course, and the facilities you have available but you can freeze fresh milk - just leave room in the container for expansion and defrost in the fridge
May be the answer for an emergency pint or two... (y)

I didn't know that. - Thanks

Coffee is not a problem, I have it black. But I must have real, full fat milk on cereals. (non of the watered down muck)
It is a problem and certainly Aldi in Germany don't stock it. We did manage to find enough during a month in Europe in April

Apr 23, 2014
Spain ??
Funster No
MH
Ice cream van
Exp
Since 2011
Take a tin of Nido with you.
Great tastes like full fat milk or goldcap if you can remember that? We use it with our cereal.

You can buy it on Amazon, we bought a tin before we left in Nov and restocked with a massive tin in Morocco,

dave met

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 7, 2014
cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Like Styx said just buy the one pint plastic, no need to empty any out as they don't split when in freezer, we took a few of these when we went to Austria last year and they kept us going for a few weeks

Oct 20, 2014
Wicklow Town, Ireland
Funster No
MH
2020 Avantgarde 175
Exp
A good few years
Would rather drink red tea than use any pseudo type milk. We have top quality milk here in Ireland so it's always a challenge sourcing anything half decent when abroad. Whilst on the subject of tea.....cant drink teabags either...grew up using loose leaf tea and it's streets ahead taste wise.......fussy aint we!

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
Aldis long life skimmed milk in the mh
always easy cartons to store fresh milk
cartons too big for fridge and pint sizes too small if in a remote area .

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Take a tin of Nido with you.
Great tastes like full fat milk or goldcap if you can remember that? We use it with our cereal.

You can buy it on Amazon, we bought a tin before we left in Nov and restocked with a massive tin in Morocco,
I'd have to taste it first, before committing to buying it. ;)

I've managed to buy lait frais demi-écrémé (fresh semi skimmed milk - blue cap plastic bottles) as far south as Mimizan Plage in France, and found Halbfettmilch Milch (Frisch) in most Aldi/Lidl supermarkets throughout Germany, but you have to be early in both countries, as limited stocks do go qiuckly. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I think the answer is to drink nothing but fully skimmed milk both at home and while you are away. They taste the same from cartons or bottles. We have been on it for 30 years and now prefer it to any other. It is a lot better for you too.....(y)

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
Seems like I am not the last man standing. They have refrigeration so what happened to teutonic mania for organising things. We saw probably thousands of cows, dairy cattle, WHY, they can't make a decent cheddar either !!

UHT milk, has to be the most pointless article invented. When it ends up tasting and smelling like soured milk, why bother ? :rolleyes:

'Whey' to go................. sorry bit early for a bad joke :D:LOL:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Green tea - No milk - Simples:)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
My Father would only drink sterilised milk when I was young which was delivered by the milkman so on the odd occasion there was no full fat normal stuff , I became accustomed to it. So the UHt stuff isn't a problem for me.
Even in the UK these days finding fll fat with cream on top for your cornflakes/weetabix had become hard so on the occasions now when I eat them for breakfast I buy 'Nata' here, cream, & refrigerate & use that .(y):)
Fresh milk is available here , as others have said you just have to find where it is hidden in the supermarkets. In all the main supermarkets they stock it but ,they might not stock a lot.

Both Lidl & Aldis stock fresh milk . it will be at one end of a refrigerated cabinet & dependant on usage, with Aldis normally keeping far greater amounts .
If you are in to soya stuff or Goats milk that'll be found in Mercadona.

As an aside it isn't any different for us when venturing back to the UK to spend ages in lidl's looking for the UHT stuff only to find a few sad & lonely cartons hidden on a shelf somewhere!:(
Same as them not selling distilled water by the pallet ?? :LOL:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Milk, the most over-rated product of our times. Good quality tea with no milk, orange juice on your breakfast cereal. We only use a fraction of the milk we used too.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Earl Grey with no milk-and why oh why would you want cereal in countries that produce wonderfull pastries and breads etc. (y)
Embrace the culture and go native :LOL:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
We went on a low carb diet and cut out milk (lactose). Now we don't have to go looking for milk when were are travelling. A similar amount of cold water to the milk we used, cools the tea to drinkable. After a while you notice just how sweet things are these days. Joan made some gravy from a well known brand and it tasted absolutely sweet. We checked the packet and that contained a lot of sugar. When you check the packets its amazing just how much sugar and salt are added to our foods these days. Fat is not really a problem but it becomes so with carbohydrates. I have lost a lot of weight by simply cutting down on carbs (Sugar, White Flour and Rice, Cereals, etc.) and eating protein including natural fats, butter and vegetables.

Last edited:

Deleted User
Can't stand milk, have used soya for years and always able to get on travels :)

Nige loves milk and cereals, after using uht for three months, but no cereals, just for drinks whilst away, got back and he went back to real milk and cereal, been ill, very bad intestinal pains and cramping.
I told him he's prob intolerant to milk :D
Not a happy boy, he has agreed to try using lactose free for a while to check though.
Our loo is very grateful ;)

Lin

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I read somewhere that the further south you go, the more people are intolerant of lactose, the sugar in milk. The reason, apparently is because people in northern latitudes didn't have the fresh milk and vegetables and so had to get their vitamin D from other food sources. Something like that anyway.

Joan.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back