Free Member
Oct 25, 2014
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano
Exp
Since 2014
We have just spent a couple of days in the Skegness area taking advantage of our Britstops book (what a great idea) and the locations we chose were brilliant........but, try to get a parking spot in Skegness or Ingoldmells on a Bank Holiday weekend was all but impossible. The only parking spaces available to motorhomes were closed for the weekend because, and wait for this as it was quoted to me by the security guy employed to turn motorhomes away......'All the damage the last lot caused'. I tried to explain that we only wanted to be there a couple of hours but he was having none of it and we had to leave.
On to better things, we stopped at Britstop #532 on Friday night and had a wonderful curry in the restaurant, the people were really friendly and are really trying to make a go of it and on Saturday we stopped at Britstop# 531 and again the food was excellent.
To all you Britstoppers I recommend both locations, shame about East Lindsay Council hving such a down on motorhomers.

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
'Tis a shame but maybe it's the result of the usual of the minority spoiling it for the majority.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We had a similar incident when we went to Chichester Harbour last year.
We're staying on a campsite and was displaying my parking voucher in my window - decided to park at Chichester harbour to catch a boat tour. Having just arrived in the local car park a resident shouted at me "you can't camp there - why not pay for a campsite like other people do?"
At which point I politely explained that I was staying at a local camp site, and that I had a voucher in my windscreen to prove it
I then explained that she was setting a bad example to other local residents and was showing her village in a very bad light as it was unwelcoming and rude to greet visitors in such a way

Aug 21, 2008
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
You could have parked between skegness and ingoldmells at jacksons corner.therewas about 7or 8 motor homes and a caravan parked over the weekend. There is a few parked there every weekend through the summer without any problems.
The council have so many problems at bank holidays with gypsies flooding in they have to man the car parks even though they are now equipped with barriers
Alan

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
We've just returned from a few days in Skegness and as usual we found a couple of first class free overnight spots. (Don't ask where, I'm not telling) Parking in Ingoldmells was a problem but we pulled into the first camping site after the 'NO MOTOR HOMES OR CARAVANS' car parks and said we wanted to stay, he was very pleased, a little less pleased when I told him 'for a couple of hours'
Never the less he only charged us £2.00 for as long as we liked.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
It does seem sad that the attendant was unable to differentiate the good from the bad and the ugly. I appreciate that once a good (?) motorhomer is parked up. it can make it more difficult to turn a suspect traveller away. It should not be beyond the wit of man to devise a system whereby people may park if they belong to a recognised club or organisation.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
You could have parked between skegness and ingoldmells at jacksons corner.therewas about 7or 8 motor homes and a caravan parked over the weekend.

We were a bit closer to SkegVegas but thanks for the heads up. I'll add that to the library.

What about Scarboro' or Brid? We have found a couple of places but there're not ideal

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
'Tis a shame but maybe it's the result of the usual of the minority spoiling it for the majority.
unfortunately its the other way round . its the majority making it harder for the minority.
i live close by to many holiday places and certainly the majority make a mess . perhaps us on here are the minority. in summer i see it here , in winter i also see the disgraceful behavior of motor homers abroad.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
tipping toilets into flood water drains ,leaving rubbish , having chairs and tables out in the roads or on pavements . satelight dishes and solar on stands again on pvements or on the streets .
washing lines between lamposts . its no wonder its getting harder for m,homes in places like spain .
also hosepipes to fill tanks . at least a container or watering can looks better . this is off street taps or childrens park taps .
but the rubbish cant understand why there are bins all over spain .

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
Bloody hell ! They do say hell is other people ! Off to Northern Spain in two weeks , hope not to see any of that malarkey!

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
There is an attitude with some (not the Gypsy or traveller communities either) that "they live in a van because they do not agree with rules and regulations. They do not read laws or regulations. Therefor they don't know about them, so they don't have to follow them. They do their own thing." I got a reply to this effect on another full time living forum on Facebook.

I agree with Alan about the way some are spoiling for the rest. They know the regulations but again disregard them.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
levee nothing but tire marks and try to not levee them we now have a lot of stop overs and don't tell anyone where they are now as one spot I used for years has now ben spoilt.
bill

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
It is frustrating to be made unwelcome at many destinations, sadly though I can quite understand the reasons why we're discouraged.

Pet hate of mine is folk leaving their black bags next to a full bin - soon leads to a mini rubbish tip. Why can't people carry their rubbish until a suitable disposal point is found ?

Folk emptying cassettes into drains - noticeable from the toilet tissue left hanging on the grill, grey waste running all over the road....

Steps, chairs and more out on popular promenades.... doesn't make us a popular group...

I know it's not just us (take a look at the mess on many beaches) but we are so noticeable in our big white boxes.

Apart from talking about it on forums, what else can we do ?

I for one won't be confronting anyone anytime soon. The chances of a successful outcome are too small, can't reason with some people !

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Wellll
At Thetford we had about a 100 vans.. As is the way I asked for volunteers for a field walk and clear up on Monday

Not so much as a plastic cup to be seen !!!
I know a few good folk did a bit of clearing up before I did the check but in all honesty I reckon the whole area was cleaner AFTER we left than before we arrived :)

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
We had a similar incident when we went to Chichester Harbour last year.
We're staying on a campsite and was displaying my parking voucher in my window - decided to park at Chichester harbour to catch a boat tour. Having just arrived in the local car park a resident shouted at me "you can't camp there - why not pay for a campsite like other people do?"
At which point I politely explained that I was staying at a local camp site, and that I had a voucher in my windscreen to prove it
I then explained that she was setting a bad example to other local residents and was showing her village in a very bad light as it was unwelcoming and rude to greet visitors in such a way

personally would have compounded her ignorance and thrown a good few expletives in her direction!:LOL:

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
First year in motor home. In France/Belgium :france:for all our holidays. After 25 yrs in a caravan I can't believe how easy this is. Keeping on the thread every village is so welcoming to motor homes we keep trying to head south but never get very far as its so easy to stop. (y) Really can't understand the British obsession with banning motor homes. Only one answer for me. I'll keep going and spending my money in Europe and to the people like the lady in Chichester well:moon2:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
First year in motor home. In France/Belgium :france:for all our holidays. After 25 yrs in a caravan I can't believe how easy this is. Keeping on the thread every village is so welcoming to motor homes we keep trying to head south but never get very far as its so easy to stop. (y) Really can't understand the British obsession with banning motor homes. Only one answer for me. I'll keep going and spending my money in Europe and to the people like the lady in Chichester well:moon2:

Our mainland European cousins have more effective ways of dealing with some mobile dwellers who cause issues. IMHO, we are too soft on those in the UK that squat on carparks etc so problems get out of hand. If the risk of fly tipping etc was lower, more carparks would be opened for motorhomes.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes in europe they do build transit camps for travellers , there are loads of them all over the place .
forget the french name for the sites .
uk is well below how many traveller sites it needs . plus motorhomers in uk do leave a mess ,thats the problem . unfortunately many arent as good as they make out.

Gandhi

Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Near Glossop
Funster No
MH
bessacar E496
Exp
5 years

Our thoughts as well. Booking the chunnel next week for another 5 week stay - already got my 2 grand put aside to spend in French shops and to keep French people in jobs.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The council have so many problems at bank holidays with gypsies flooding in they have to man the car parks even though they are now equipped with barriers
Alan
So if they have to man them why can't they allow MH parking ? Can they not tell the difference between one and the gypsies ?

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
personally would have compounded her ignorance and thrown a good few expletives in her direction!:LOL:
Haha, I'd have thrown a punch in her direction, a broken jaw would have shut her up.:rofl:

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Having just had a weekend at Glastonbudget music festival and I can state that the area around the tents was a disgusting tip, while in the area for motorhomers and caravans there was very little litter and mess.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Our mainland European cousins have more effective ways of dealing with some mobile dwellers who cause issues. IMHO, we are too soft on those in the UK that squat on carparks etc so problems get out of hand. If the risk of fly tipping etc was lower, more carparks would be opened for motorhomes.
Unfortunately mate we hide behind human rights laws that protect everybody but the good. We can't do this or that without a law behind it. Whatever happened to good old common sense. :madder:I'm in France at the moment. I spent a few minutes today watching a French man working on a roundabout planting shrubs. His van parked half on half off the island. Not a cone in site no 4 way lights it wasn't busy or dangerous. Health and safety would have him sacked on the spot in the UK. Over here they keep the villages beautiful. They just get on with it. He did a great job by the way:smiley:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It should not be beyond the wit of man to devise a system whereby people may park if they belong to a recognised club or organisation.
He will be an employee simply following orders from on high, not a decision maker..... that's not in his job description.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back