French Robbery (1 Viewer)

Sep 11, 2012
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Just got back from a trip down Southern France , on our way down we pulled over at a service station on the A6 late at night for a couple of hours. We park over in a lorry parking area .at 11 ish all the Lorries started to leave the site leaving us on our own.at 1am I hear a lorry pull up and didn't think nothing of it carried on watching a DVD and fell a sleep. At 3.30 I awoke to find some bloke with a pool cue at the bottom of our bed trying to fish out my wife's hand bag.i chased him down the road and he disappeared into the bushes.we were the only van in the car park and he decided to pull up with in 2ft of us, we could only just open the hab door.?
At this time I checked my van and thought nothing had been taken,then I realised he had taken the keys. I called my insurance who told me that they could recover me or I should get hold of a lock smith and send them the bill,
Is this common practice for insurance company's .any way about 20min later I hear the lorry pull off and thought I check outside that when I noticed the van keys on top of the driver side tyre. I found that there was visual marks on the van or locks until I noticed some oil running down the side of the lock and on closer inspection I could see that there was a small hole underneath the plastic door trim and rubber seal.he must have pushed a small screw driver up into the lock which must release the central locking system . I have the x250 model so be aware if you have this model.
Apart from this we had a great time

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Very sorry to hear of your break-in and understand how you feel as have experienced break ins too.

May I ask, where on the A6 were you?

OP
OP
Zajacp
Sep 11, 2012
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Hi Veevee . We was heading south and I think it was junction 25.just before macon.we had planned to stop at the municipal site but stopped for a coffee and thought it would be ok for a few hours.

OP
OP
Zajacp
Sep 11, 2012
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Foghorn. Apart from this france is a pretty safe place and as you say it's better to
Pay a few euro and feel safe at nite.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Glad it turned out well in the end and a timely reminder to hide everything of value when it is not needed. Just put in a locker or wardrobe is better than left in view.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I would imagine the small hole was drilled in to allow access to the lock mechanism in the door, but I am pretty sure on our MH this does not activate the central locking.
What a shame you didn't catch him and teach him the error of his ways, with a frying pan around the head, for example!
On the plus side, nothing lost, and a good holiday had by all, so all's well that ends well as they say :D

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Apart from this france is a pretty safe place and as you say it's better to
Pay a few euro and feel safe at nite.

Don't be too sure, this happened at Camping de l'Ile d'Or on the Loire in June 2013.... ( this wasn't us!)

Just returned from a 2 week trip of the Dordogne in a motorhome, we stopped off here for one night on the way home having also stayed here last year. We love the site and Amboise.
Got up early to push on home to find under our van a handbag, pair of shorts etc. Then saw a group of peole talking, husband went over to enquire if they had lost a handbag and was told they had all been burgled in the night. In the end it transpired about a dozen vans had been done, they had all left side windows open at night as it was hot and the blinds had been sliced and stuff taken that was within reach. Most of the vans affected were around us but we had our windows shut and were fine. One Japanese family came running over when they saw the police arrive, they were in a tent and it had been slashed in the night. Money, cameras, ipods, keys etc taken. Police did come quickly and dusted for prints etc. This has also been posted on motorhome facts website.
Its a lovely site so such a shame when these things happen. i shall still return in my motorhome but however hot keep your side windows shut.

Glad you are ok Zajacp and the experience hasn't put off. Most of France is very safe, but you still need to take sensible precautions, as you would anywhere else in the world. I have to agree though, motorway service areas are notorious for overnight thefts and best avoided for anything other than a midday break or for fueling. We always use aires in small villages and have 2 dogs that wake at the slightest sound outside.

Allan

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Glad you are both ok. I stopped overnight a couple of times on motorway service stations in France, 2 dogs with me who would have growled/barked had anyone come near. Wouldn't do it now that I've read of so many thefts.

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Sorry to hear about this happening to you it must have been a shock.
It really seems that service stations for any longer than picking up fuel or a quick break are not safe . When we pull up anywhere like that even for lunch I always make sure doors are locked and that nothing of value is in sight .

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Glad to hear no one hurt and no real loss. Its sickening all the same. Hope you can still enjoy your Moho and holidays. Don't know what I would do if we got broken into I'm a nervous Nellie anyway regards parking up. If I'm the teeniest bit not sure I won't stop.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have always preferred physical security over fancy electronic alarms/trackers etc etc.

I would recommend anyone with a panel van based motorhome to get either deadlocks or something like Armaplate.

I put deadlocks on mine which you physically need the key for they can't be operated by smashing the window then reaching in to unlock. I leave nothing of value within reach of the driver or passenger side doors.

My theory is that the thief won't want to smash the window and clamber in. for one it looks extremely suspicious and secondly they run the risk of being trapped in the vehicle.. Thieves are generally sneaky opportunistic cowards and will move onto another van if the risk is too high for them.

If I had a newer vehicle I would have fitted armaplates as well. This would prevent the screwdriver hole in the door technique. However on their own they don't prevent the smash and grab method.
They are however a physical deterrent to screwdriver attacks. Make your vehicle look like to much work/risk...

I don't lock the deadlock on the habitation side when I am in the vehicle but I do have a strong wire loops like a door chain to prevent it being opened from the outside when I am in it.

For me physical security beats fancy electronics every time.

Lindacarole

Free Member
Mar 23, 2014
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta Van
Exp
Now a year !
Sorry to hear of your break-in but glad you are OK.
Hope it has not ruined your trip.
Well done for scaring them off, and running after them!
LC

Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
Zajacp,
Are you saying the lorry driver was the one that broke into your van ? Did you get any details of the wagon

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
So pleased your not hurt in anyway. Motorway services + sleep = disaster. This is where the scumbags can be guaranteed a reward. Been there and done that 20 +years ago. Never again.

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
You might think that wild camping is the risky option but it does have its plus points. Thieves tend to know the locations where there are easy pickings. If you park in a remote spot you are unlikely to come across thieves. Any thread relating to theft always arouses my Barcelona complex.

I have a gut feel for thieves and adjust my security accordingly. I put a strap between the two front doors. I put the blinds up on all windows but leave enough visibility to they can see the straps. I make sure that credit cards, cash and keys are all in my possession.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Buy a cargo strap and link it through the armrests on the front cab doors when you go to bed. The thieves would have to break a window to get the door open which, although not ideal, would probably alert you. Got this tip from a fellow funster a couple of years ago :)

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
You might think that wild camping is the risky option but it does have its plus points. Thieves tend to know the locations where there are easy pickings. If you park in a remote spot you are unlikely to come across thieves. Any thread relating to theft always arouses my Barcelona complex.

I have a gut feel for thieves and adjust my security accordingly. I put a strap between the two front doors. I put the blinds up on all windows but leave enough visibility to they can see the straps. I make sure that credit cards, cash and keys are all in my possession.
Whoops you beat me to it!

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Buy a cargo strap and link it through the armrests on the front cab doors when you go to bed. The thieves would have to break a window to get the door open which, although not ideal, would probably alert you. Got this tip from a fellow funster a couple of years ago :)
We have a chain and padlock, looped around door handle & rests in door pocket when not in use, quick and easy to lock with numbered padlock no faffing for keys.

OP
OP
Zajacp
Sep 11, 2012
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Funny munny , I pretty sure it was the lorry driver , I did look around at the lorry that parked next to us. Leaving a gap around 24" this also allows cover from any prying eyes.the lorry it self had no markings on it and I reckon he watched me from a distance and put the keys back on his return , may be if he was caught later on there would be no evidence to link him with any break in she may have done that nite.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Two of these Broken Link Removed
connecting the two cab doors together will stop, or at the very least, delay, entry into the vehicle. I've connected mine to a personal attack alarm.
In my last motorhome there was an attack alarm mounted on the arm rests, leads from these could be looped through the steering wheel---open either door and be deafened.

Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
Funny munny , I pretty sure it was the lorry driver , I did look around at the lorry that parked next to us. Leaving a gap around 24" this also allows cover from any prying eyes.the lorry it self had no markings on it and I reckon he watched me from a distance and put the keys back on his return , may be if he was caught later on there would be no evidence to link him with any break in she may have done that nite.

Zajacp,
I have long thought that a lot of break ins to motorhomes on service centres could be by lorry drivers, not a nice thing to say I know as I was once a lorry driver myself but when on the continent a lot of them are from eastern Europe block countries and they have definitely got a different outlook to us where honesty is concerned.

I for one would never park on a motorway service station unless absolutely necessary and then I would definitely park well away from any wagons.

RD

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
When I joined the forum I was mindful of the advice given by other members about parking overnight at motorway services. As a result we avoid them like the plague
This is great advice and you ignore it at your peril
I 'm wondering if @Jim could put together a list of top tips for new members to help stop this kind of problem happening again

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back