fridge was dangerous!!! (1 Viewer)

Mar 1, 2009
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
hi, i have just got my camper van back from the menders and was told the fridge needs replacing.:Sad: The thing thats worried me is that he said its rusty at the back pipes and we could have been killed by ammonia!!!! :Eeek:

If anyone knows of a second hand frige for sale i will be interested?!!!! :Smile:thankyou xjx

Pete45

Free Member
Jan 29, 2009
Milton Keynes Bucks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Had 2 RV from 2003
hi, i have just got my camper van back from the menders and was told the fridge needs replacing.:Sad: The thing thats worried me is that he said its rusty at the back pipes and we could have been killed by ammonia!!!! :Eeek:

If anyone knows of a second hand frige for sale i will be interested?!!!! :Smile:thankyou xjx
Have a look on eBay:thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
In most cases the rusty pipes only have surface rust they can be wire brushed and painted. The service engineer should have told you that instead of trying to charge you for a new fridge.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Agree with Roger .. fridges can leak and eventually fail to work, but not from surface rust, and if it did leak it wouldn't be a sudden loss, but gradually through a pin hole and you would never smell it as it would go outside via the fridge vents..

never heard of anyone being gassed from a fridge..

oh dear, now i've said the dreaded word :whatthe:

Jim

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
the worry is not from gassing but from the inflammable nature of ammonia, however as Jim said the ammonia would be vented to the outside. a wire brush and repaint should be part of everyones regular maintenance.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
the worry is not from gassing but from the inflammable nature of ammonia, .

Indeed... I just remembered, there were some cases recently of American Dometic fridges causing fires in RVs from leaking units.. so to be on the safe side have a second opinion from a reputable dealer.. and don't use until you have been assured it's safe..

Jim

OP
OP
J and M on Mfun
Mar 1, 2009
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
thanks ever so much jim and roger ::bigsmile: im going to take the fridge out and look at the pipes myself and if they havent got anything but surface rust i`ll see if the fridge works. The pilot light is lit now! Plus hes told me to get a new leisure battery which i will do asap, might just get the battery tested first, i think i can do that, this campervan is a never ending money pit so far!!!:RollEyes:

metz

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
Funster No
Hi, I'm afraid i would get a second opinion, a service engineer in the case of a fridge being that unsafe should have condemmend it, if the ammonia has leaked then it won't operate, you would smell it in the van, very unlikly it would kill you, depending on the age and make of the fridge, the cooling unit can be replaced for roughly half the cost of a new fridge.

OP
OP
J and M on Mfun
Mar 1, 2009
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
fridge now working, yey !!!

hi, me and my boyfriend took out the fridge today, he cleaned the pilot light connectors up put it back in and lo and behold the fridge works, after we`d figured out how to press and hold the button :roflmto:

The thing that upsets me tho is i took the campervan to `proffesionals`for advice and to fit a new fridge if needed.Before we set about taking the fridge out we noticed that the dirt under the fridge was `undisturbed`:whatthe:and the fridge was stuck in so tightly that if it was moved there would be a line in the dirt, i couldnt believe it,:Angry: the `proffesional hadnt even taken the fridge out to look at it, the only way he couldve seen the back pipes was through the vent:Angry: how awful to think i was nearly goint to pay 200 odd pounds for him to put a new fridge in :Doh:

Anyway, the rust is definately only surface rust we meticulously checked the back pipes, and discovered how to actually work the fridge, and hey hey im a happy lady:thumb:

Needless to say i wont be taking my camper to them again :RollEyes:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
wonderful, I do hope you wire brushed it and painted the pipes to prevent further damage before putting it back in.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
hi, i have just got my camper van back from the menders and was told the fridge needs replacing.:Sad: The thing that's worried me is that he said its rusty at the back pipes and we could have been killed by ammonia!!!! :Eeek:

If anyone knows of a second hand fridge for sale i will be interested?!!!! :Smile:thank you xjx

How do you know with second hand (pre-owned!!) fridges that you will not be buying one as dangerous as yours?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Agree with Roger .. fridges can leak and eventually fail to work, but not from surface rust, and if it did leak it wouldn't be a sudden loss, but gradually through a pin hole and you would never smell it as it would go outside via the fridge vents..

never heard of anyone being gassed from a fridge..

oh dear, now i've said the dreaded word :whatthe:

Jim

:Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back