Feb 8, 2015
Wirral, North West England
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi all,

Just tried our 5m Omnistor Awning for the first time and I've hit a bit of a problem :(. I went by the instructions on the winder but only 1 side is coming out. The near side appears to be attached to nothing. I can see the support bar on the far side but nothing on the near side. Also there appears to be a bracket in the middle with nothing attached. I'm going back this afternoon with my step ladders for a closer look but thought I'd ask on here first just in case something similar has happened to some of you ;)
Stupidly I never tested it before buying, too excited I suppose :oops:

Thanks Antony

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
The bracket in the middle is for a support beam, that will be stored somewhere in the van, you attach this after you open the awning. As for only opening one side, it sounds like it wasn't closed properly, and it is catching on one of the legs perhaps. Get up on the step ladder, and see if you can encourage it out.

OP
OP
Weinsbergaman

Weinsbergaman

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for info on the middle support beam (I was wondering what that was in the garage), one less thing to think about (y)
On the near side the awning does open but there's no support beam attached. On first look it seams the near side support beam is detached from the housing somehow.

Thanks Antony

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
the support beams at either end are hinged in middle and open out when you wind awning out dont wind it out fully without putting legs down about 1 to 1.5m

OP
OP
Weinsbergaman

Weinsbergaman

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
My Omnistor awning is missing some vital parts, see below:
2015_05_23_12_35_19.jpg

2015_05_23_12_35_39.jpg

2015_05_23_12_35_26.jpg

The left hand support bar is missing as well as the centre bar. Can anyone point me in the right direct of how to fix the awning please?

Thanks Antony

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Just a warning! If you use a centre support bar, DO NOT wind back against it too much!!! It can bend the front of your awning!!!

Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
i think i would go and see the person i bought it from ???

Reactions: Mel
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
You are not actually missing a centre support, that is an optional extra, even at 5.5m long we hardly ever use the one I bought, far more important to have good storm tie downs on the corners

and of course both support arms!! definitely get back to seller if you have only just bought it, they must have known, I cant believe that any owner has never used their awning (y), although I guess its possible the previous owner bought it like that and wondered why it didn't work

I will be interested in the outcome in terms of repair, we are having trouble with ours and I was considering simply doing a complete replacement for ease but haven't got a price yet :)

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Rose Awnings may be a bit far, so you could look up Omnistor for the nearest supplier. All parts are available although things like the winder handle are extortionate if you want to replace that.

OP
OP
Weinsbergaman

Weinsbergaman

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for the link ;). I've emailed Rose Awnings regarding the replacement part. I won't bother with the centre support unless the previous owner has it who I have also contacted. I will keep you informed regarding the replacement & fitting of the parts. Apart from the missing spring arm the awning appears to work really well. I'll also order the storm tie downs.

Thanks very much for the help (y)

What a great forum this is, it never takes long for help to arrive :)

Cheers Antony

OP
OP
Weinsbergaman

Weinsbergaman

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
It is possibly missing as was damaged & a replacement is around £250 !

Very likely. The previous owner did lend it out to his employees from time to time so there is a chance he didn't know. I should have checked it anyway so it's partially my fault :(.

Can anyone tell me if the spring arms for the Omnistor 5002 would be the same as my 5500 as I've found a LH Spring Arm for around £154.00?

Thanks Antony

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I won't bother with the centre support unless the previous owner has it who I have also contacted.

Cheers Antony
I thought you said earlier that you have the centre support bar in the garage. I would expect the previous owner to pay for the missing extender bar. However if it was a private buy unless you have it in writing someplace that everything was in perfect working order then you are on a sticky wicket. a dealer on the other hand should sort it unless it was mentioned to you.

OP
OP
Weinsbergaman

Weinsbergaman

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
I thought you said earlier that you have the centre support bar in the garage. I would expect the previous owner to pay for the missing extender bar. However if it was a private buy unless you have it in writing someplace that everything was in perfect working order then you are on a sticky wicket. a dealer on the other hand should sort it unless it was mentioned to you.

Hi Wildman,

What I thought was the centre support wasn't :confused:. It looks like it's a support for a rain blocker or similar.
The sale was private and really it was up to me to check all was working :oops: We had travelled all the way to Denmark to collect her and I was in a bit of a rush to get back on the road for the long journey home. There's been a few other little niggles that I have now sorted which I expected. This is just another small price to pay for freedom on the open road and I can't wait to get going :). My wife mentioned today that I was looking for things to do but there wasn't anything until we set off on our hols :LOL:.

Thanks Antony

OP
OP
Weinsbergaman

Weinsbergaman

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Wow, thanks for the link and info (y)

The parts that I think I need from the diagram are:

55 5516 00 LH Spring Arm @ £154.80 inc vat
55 5486 00 LH Spring Arm Support Assembly
55 5439 00 Arm Front Rail Connection Pair @ £32.40 inc vat

Thanks Antony

Last edited:
OP
OP
Weinsbergaman

Weinsbergaman

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi all,

Just a quick update.

I've ordered the complete replacement LH spring arm from Hill View Awnings as they were considerably the cheapest I could find and they had the courtesy of replying to all my emails punctually (y).

Once I've taken delivery and installed the arm in my 5500 awning I'll post a couple of photo's. Should be around 2-3 weeks.

BTW the seller wasn't interested at all in being a gentleman so there will be no further dealings with him :mad:. Very disappointing but hey there's worse things in life :)

Thanks Antony

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Brilliant! :clap2:
And what a great attitude to life you seem to have.
Happy camping ::bigsmile:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
If you got the van at the right price ( and I suspect you did having travelled to Denmark for it ! ) then as you say.. Its all grist to the mill :)

If you wanna see some real fun and games with a van bought from a big UK dealer do a search on my posts and the Autotrail..
So many issues I lost count but I fixed them all myself and did not even think of contacting the dealer..
As I said to him when I picked it up, its a 2nd hand van.. Unless the engine lets go or the body falls off you will not hear from me..
For me, fixing things is all part of the 'wunnerful world of motor homing' !!

OP
OP
Weinsbergaman

Weinsbergaman

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
If you got the van at the right price ( and I suspect you did having travelled to Denmark for it ! ) then as you say.. Its all grist to the mill :)

If you wanna see some real fun and games with a van bought from a big UK dealer do a search on my posts and the Autotrail..
So many issues I lost count but I fixed them all myself and did not even think of contacting the dealer..
As I said to him when I picked it up, its a 2nd hand van.. Unless the engine lets go or the body falls off you will not hear from me..
For me, fixing things is all part of the 'wunnerful world of motor homing' !!

I agree, as long as the engines fine & there's no damp most things can be sorted (y) To say we are delighted with our Weinsberg is an understatement, superb quality :)

Thanks Antony

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
just need to get it washed now ... ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun