Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
Been looking to replace these poor little batteries for 3 x110amp Lucas Platinum Battieries..................has anyone any views, preference or advice on best make and type please?

Boo

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Boo,I have nether had a problem over the yrs with lucas battery's
Link Removed
They do not seem too bad a price :thumb: but now I just get locally made battery's for around 45 squids :thumb::ROFLMAO: never had a problem with them :thumb: but then again only ever kept them for a bit :ROFLMAO: the longest is 2 yrs old so I should not have had a problem :ROFLMAO:
terry

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Boo

Everyone has an opinion on this, usually based on past experience, mine is to go for the cheapest FLAs (flooded lead acid) you can find.. there is no evidence that 'branded' batteries outlive the non branded.. they may give you a three or five year warranty but it's built into the cost , not the quality of the battery and in the event of a claim in say the 4th year they won't replace new for old.. but give you a pro rata discount on the replacement..
I have 4 x 85ah cheap FLAs now four years old, still going strong.. and using full time.. they cost about £40 each so they don't owe me anything, I will happily replace with the same .. only bigger next time..

Shop around and get the biggest bang (amp) for you buck .. forget branded.. and don't even consider gel.. unless you have them indoors :roflmto:

hth

Jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Edit

Since posting, remembered this useful guide and info about batteries..

Link Removed

basically it concurs with my post

Conclusion:

The best battery to use for fast charging using advanced charging systems
a) For general leisure use: use low cost lead acid which can be topped up with water. So called leisure batteries
b) For long term cruising then use 6 volt traction
Avoid gel / agm for 3 reasons
1) very expensive
2) very slow charger rate
3) poor cycling numbers

OP
OP
Boo

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
Edit

Since posting, remembered this useful guide and info about batteries..

Link Removed

basically it concurs with my post

Conclusion: The best battery to use for fast charging using advanced charging systems
a) For general leisure use: use low cost lead acid which can be topped up with water. So called leisure batteries
b) For long term cruising then use 6 volt traction :Eeek:
Avoid gel / agm for 3 reasons
1) very expensive
2) very slow charger rate
3) poor cycling numbers

6 volt........as in motorcycle battery????
2 strapped together (pos to neg?)

Boo

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
6 volt........as in motorcycle battery????
2 strapped together (pos to neg?)

Boo

Yes, lots of yanks go for 6v traction batteries for their RVs .. .. but at a cost.. eye watering :whatthe:

Same type as fitted to golf carts, electric trucks, etc

Feast your eyes here
Trojan Deep Cycle Monoblocs

If money isn't a factor these are the dogs nuts :thumb:

OP
OP
Boo

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
Yes, lots of yanks go for 6v traction batteries for their RVs .. .. but at a cost.. eye watering :whatthe:

Same type as fitted to golf carts, electric trucks, etc

Feast your eyes here
Trojan Deep Cycle Monoblocs

If money isn't a factor these are the dogs nuts :thumb:
WOW!!!! £440.00 for one 6v battery :Eeek:

Money IS a factor.............it's a fact that the taxman takes half my wage away every month :Angry:

Boo

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Hi Boo

Everyone has an opinion on this, usually based on past experience, mine is to go for the cheapest FLAs (flooded lead acid) you can find.. there is no evidence that 'branded' batteries outlive the non branded.. they may give you a three or five year warranty but it's built into the cost , not the quality of the battery and in the event of a claim in say the 4th year they won't replace new for old.. but give you a pro rata discount on the replacement..
I have 4 x 85ah cheap FLAs now four years old, still going strong.. and using full time.. they cost about £40 each so they don't owe me anything, I will happily replace with the same .. only bigger next time..

Shop around and get the biggest bang (amp) for you buck .. forget branded.. and don't even consider gel.. unless you have them indoors :roflmto:

hth

Jim

I agree with Jim, its been my experience that you get more watts for your money with the normal traction type of batteries, true they may not last as long as some, and I repeat, SOME, of the fancy all dancing types, but they do what it says on the box.

As a reference I have spent most of the last 9 years living on battery power and with no mains cable in sight.

Doug

Last edited:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
one thing that I have found, lead/acid batteries do not like being run (and left) flat,
in my early days with motorhomes, I destroyed 2 massive truck batteries in 2 years, each one lasted about 9 months. This was because I ran them flat before re-charging, we lived in a coach and never used EHU. I now use the cheapest LEISURE batteries I can find and try to re-charge before being flat, I also just bought a 3 stage charger.
Nigel

BUTTYBOY

Free Member
Mar 25, 2009
CHARENTE MARITIME
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
11 YEARS
we are sailing

hi boo
I agree witnh another post about using "cheap" lead acid batteries. I had a 45 foot yacht and I had two banks of 5 "cheap" batteries which never gave me any problems with the engine starting, electric self steering, computer system, navigation systems & all the usual lights needed. Go cheap & replace every 2 years.
dave

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back