Do you leave your satalite dish up? (1 Viewer)

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
Sorry but couldn't find a thread on this:

I have a Oyster Vision II electric folding satalite dish..........my question is.......Do you leave your dish up when not in use.......ie...when you go to bed?

Does it use power when left up as the control panel is lit up and I would think the motor and self seak gubbins is alive...........plus couldn't the wind damage it if left up in stormy weather?

Do I need to oil it or faff with it.........maybe clean the lnb and dish?

Thanks in advance :winky:

Boo

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Ask Bob and Di Banks about leaving their satellite dish up - then duck rapidly! :RollEyes:

They did so when it was a bit more than draughty (I think) - the dish blew down and ripped some big holes in their roof - requiring a new roof in places.

It only takes a few seconds to press the retract button - and that way you will get a worry free night of sleep. :thumb:

We also take ours down the second that the screen falters during a wind 'storm' - in the belief that the 'rocking' of the dish could damage the screw holes in the roof and therefore introduce a source of damp into the roof. :Eeek:

We could be wrong but I am a great believer in "safe rather than sorry"

Dick

OP
OP
Boo

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
My thoughts too.............cheers :winky:

Boo

Ask Bob and Di Banks about leaving their satellite dish up - then duck rapidly! :RollEyes:

They did so when it was a bit more than draughty (I think) - the dish blew down and ripped some big holes in their roof - requiring a new roof in places.

It only takes a few seconds to press the retract button - and that way you will get a worry free night of sleep. :thumb:

We also take ours down the second that the screen falters during a wind 'storm' - in the belief that the 'rocking' of the dish could damage the screw holes in the roof and therefore introduce a source of damp into the roof. :Eeek:

We could be wrong but I am a great believer in "safe rather than sorry"

Dick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
Apart from the possible damage due to storms, if you are camping away from shore power then yes, the oyster box does use some power unless you switch the actual box off. It isn't much but every bit counts.

Also make sure you don't switch the box off with the dish up because it will stay up.

OP
OP
Boo

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
Thanks for that Tony :winky:

I have just found out that not only does the step shoot in when you put the ignition on but the dish auto extracts...........happy days ::bigsmile:

Boo

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
Thanks for that Tony :winky:

I have just found out that not only does the step shoot in when you put the ignition on but the dish auto extracts...........happy days ::bigsmile:

Boo

Don't count on it. It won't if you switched the oyster box off and it won't if the same idiot that installed mine did the job on yours as well. They ran that ignition wire from the brake switch under the vehicle and up to the dish control. Lousy job - no support, no conduit and wires stretched tight around some metal edges. Wore through, blew fuse - so no retract, no charge from the alternator and no brake lights.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Boo

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
Don't count on it. It won't if you switched the oyster box off and it won't if the same idiot that installed mine did the job on yours as well. They ran that ignition wire from the brake switch under the vehicle and up to the dish control. Lousy job - no support, no conduit and wires stretched tight around some metal edges. Wore through, blew fuse - so no retract, no charge from the alternator and no brake lights.

Nice! I hope he didn't fit mine :Eeek:

Boo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back