Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
Hello folks, retiring in Sept aged 60 and thinking of upping sticks and ft in MH.
After travelling in the MH in Europe we wish to stay in the UK as the missus a bit ill and needs doctors every now and then.
My main concern is how do folk full timing get to see a doc?
How do we get repeat prescriptions, check ups etc when we may not be in one place too often?
Wish to travel all the UK starting from Yorkshire, go to south coats, and do the whole lot clockwise, VERY SLOWLY !!!!

It is my wife's medication I am most concerned about

Stuart

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Maybe the main problem with fulltiming is finding somewhere to stay. Then all the other issues, doctor, council tax, address, etc seem to kick in :rolleyes:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I think you meed an accommodation address for paperwork etc. Register with a GP local to there...... our surgery now has a system where you can do a lot of routine stuff on-line or by phone including ordering repeat prescriptions. You would still need to be able to pick them up or get someone to do that for you and deliver to you. As standard we get two months at a time but can get more by arrangement.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Th UK seems to be very difficult for fulltimers. maybe easier to fulltime in France and return tio UK for essntials? If I am not mistaken you are considered a resident in UK unless you spend more than 6 months in another country, Therefore, you can spend up to 5 months in France, up to 5 months in Spain/Portugal/Italy and still be 'resident' in UK. With the Inland Revenue you have to ELECT to be resident elsewhere.

Reactions: f6c

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I might be talking complete twaddle here but it might be worth asking your GP for post dated prescriptions. If you or your wife need to see a doctor whilst away from your home town, they will see you in any GP in the UK. But if your wife has history you may need to take a copy of her notes with you. They should be made available to you if you ask.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Maybe the main problem with fulltiming is finding somewhere to stay. Then all the other issues, doctor, council tax, address, etc seem to kick in :rolleyes:

@Autowbars
not forgetting full timers motorhome insurance.. Comfort will quote on a case by case basis, provided you have a c/o address .. not cheap, it will be at least 3 or 4 times the 'normal' premium. address also needed for Driving licence and motorhome registration, V5,

Having or keeping base is is much easier than 'upping sticks' .. don't know your personal circumstances, can you not downsize and buy a small flat that can be used as a base , address for doctor, insurance , etc ? Without this you will have a lot of problems.. don't start out unless you have resolved these problems.. they don't go away..

Somewhere to stay.. means moving all the time, most sites allow 21 days , CLs 28 days.. there are some long term sites.. but never tell anyone you are a full timer..they may decide to report you to the council who will land you with a council tax bill.. don't pay and you will get a court summons.. it happened to us..

Not trying to put a wet blanket on your hopes and dreams.. we did it for three years and while it was great experience, you see lots of places.. it is not a long holiday, it is a way of life.. but life on the road that can be tiring .... as well as rewarding.. it's not for everyone..

I would advise to keep your home and try it for a year .. by that time you will have resolved the problems and also know if it's for you or not.. last but not least.. have an exit plan.. ie .. how will you get back to house living if you decide it's not for you.. or either or both of you become too ill or too old to keep traveling.. ? You can apply to the council for a social house, but will be put on a very long queue, and not a priority as you won't be classed as 'homeless' .. sell the van , make yourself homeless and a crappy B&B accommodation will be offered.. take a long hard think before you cut the ties.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Seeing a UK doctor is easier than you think. Full timers will almost always carry their medical notes with them. Some stay on doctors lists for years even though they have no property in that area; but often that's not necessary Tell your doctor you're going to be travelling for 6 months and they will do their this best to help with advance prescriptions. But dont worry, one of the joys of a life on the road is choosing where to be ill ;) Any UK GP surgery will see you and and treat you for 14 days, after that you might have to register as a temporary resident but that is a really simple one form process. SO if you are touring the UK your wife has nothing to worry about.

And what an adventure. Touring the UK coasts and using the extensive CL network is a joy. Have fun

Last edited:
OP
OP
Autowbars

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
Thank you all for your replies, answers.
Given me more to think about.
Really want to give it a try as the missus may only
have a year or so to be here.
Not going to spend that time looking at the outside from home.
Not going to spend that time going to mow the lawn, etc.

I will ask the doc for records etc, hope they give them freely.

I even thought of buying a mobile home on a park as a base,
and letting out for a bit, BIT is probably the reality of income as to be truthful we ain't going to have pots o money!
Going to be have to be done on the cheap, no frills basis.
But we can do that together

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
Seeing a UK doctor is easier than you think. Full timers will almost always carry their medical notes with them. Some stay on doctors lists for years even though they have no property in that area; but often that's not necessary Tell your doctor you're going to be travelling for 6 months and they will do their this best to help with advance prescriptions. But dont worry, one of the joys of a life on the road is choosing where to be ill ;) Any UK GP surgery will see you and and treat you for 14 days, after that you might have to register as a temporary resident but that is a really simple one form process. SO if you are touring the UK your wife has nothing to worry about.

And what an adventure. Touring the UK coasts and using the extensive CL network is a joy. Have fun

My GPs have now got a website where you can make appointments and order repeat prescriptions and they even ask where you would like to pick them up from. You have to go in and take license or passport and they give you a special number and a pin no. Everything on line nowdays. Computer say yes... good luck whatever you decide to do. (y)

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Th UK seems to be very difficult for fulltimers. maybe easier to fulltime in France and return tio UK for essntials? If I am not mistaken you are considered a resident in UK unless you spend more than 6 months in another country.
All changed to prevent health tourists. If you are now out of the country for longer than 90 days you no longer qualify for NHS services, if they check you will have to pay.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
My GPs have now got a website where you can make appointments and order repeat prescriptions and they even ask where you would like to pick them up from. You have to go in and take license or passport and they give you a special number and a pin no. Everything on line nowdays. Computer say yes... good luck whatever you decide to do. (y)
Mine's the same, but pick-up is from their own surgeries; are you saying @pat-c that you can pick up anywhere in the country or am I mis-reading this?

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
All changed to prevent health tourists. If you are now out of the country for longer than 90 days you no longer qualify for NHS services, if they check you will have to pay.
90 days....that is just a holiday. I thought you had to be fiscally resident in another country o_O

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
well thats how I understood it. If it is correct could put an end to those heading South for the entire winter, but then maybe I'm wrong, I hope so.
Unless you retain property in the UK it will be a problem.
Accessing Free State Healthcare
The National Health Service only provides free
hospital treatment for people who lawfully live
on a settled basis in the United Kingdom.
People who do not normally live on a settled
basis in this country are not automatically
entitled to NHS hospital treatment free of
charge – regardless of their nationality or
whether they hold a British Passport or have
lived and paid National Insurance contributions
and taxes in this country in the past.
Residential Qualification
UK/EEA citizens that are permanent UK
residents are fully entitled to free hospital
treatment, however they need to satisfy the
Trust that they are permanent, lawful UK
residents and provide satisfactory documentary
evidence. Until such time as a Trust is satisfied
of this, they will charge for healthcare.
UK State Pensioners
UK state pensioners who have lived in the UK for ten
continuous years at some point in the past are entitled to
‘treatment the need for which arises during a visit to the UK’
free of charge.
Some UK state pensioners living part time in the EEA are fully
entitled to free hospital treatment during the period they live
here. They must prove they live in the UK for at least six months
each year and in another EEA member state for the remainder
of the year and not be registered as resident in that other
member state.

Last edited:
Reactions: DBK

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
There are a lot of British residents spending up to 6 months in Spain/Portugal every year. Maybe the rules have changed but I do not see how the government can curtail citizens who are liable for UK tax spending time overseas. But I would not be unduly surprised if they did.............if so, where do I apply for my tax refund? :)

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
well thats how I understood it. If it is correct could put an end to those heading South for the entire winter, but then maybe I'm wrong, I hope so.
Unless you retain property in the UK it will be a problem.
Accessing Free State Healthcare
The National Health Service only provides free
hospital treatment for people who lawfully live
on a settled basis in the United Kingdom.
People who do not normally live on a settled
basis in this country are not automatically
entitled to NHS hospital treatment free of
charge – regardless of their nationality or
whether they hold a British Passport or have
lived and paid National Insurance contributions
and taxes in this country in the past.
Residential Qualification
UK/EEA citizens that are permanent UK
residents are fully entitled to free hospital
treatment, however they need to satisfy the
Trust that they are permanent, lawful UK
residents and provide satisfactory documentary
evidence. Until such time as a Trust is satisfied
of this, they will charge for healthcare.
UK State Pensioners
UK state pensioners who have lived in the UK for ten
continuous years at some point in the past are entitled to
‘treatment the need for which arises during a visit to the UK’
free of charge.
Some UK state pensioners living part time in the EEA are fully
entitled to free hospital treatment during the period they live
here. They must prove they live in the UK for at least six months
each year and in another EEA member state for the remainder
of the year and not be registered as resident in that other
member state.

Hi Roger. Please can you provide a link to the info you quoted as I've been trying to find out more about this sort of restriction. Thank you.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I have always believed that it is no problem to get a medical treatment anywhere in the UK whether you have a house or not. Because of some of the issues raised in this thread I wrote to the NHS for clarification. Here is the response which should put some fulltimers minds at ease. @Autowbars

Dear James

Thank you for your recent contact with NHS England regarding GP services for people of no permanent address. I can provide you with the following information.

GP services can be accessed as needed, by being accepted as a patient by being temporarily resident in the GP's area. This is defined as being in a place for more than 24 hours but less than three months and includes anyone "moving from place to place and not for the time being resident in any place" by the Standard General Medical Services Contract.

Temporary residents can register with 'no fixed abode' and this should be accepted by a GP practice. Provision of services for temporary residents includes all normal services, i.e. essential medical services; additional services and referral for any other services that a 'registered patient' would receive.

When the patient registers as a temporary resident, they will have the option to record on the registration form that they do not have a GP and this will be accepted by the practice that they are registering with.

One of the difficulties that will be experienced by the patients is that any medical records made while being temporarily resident will not be able to be transferred on when they move on and transfer to another practice as they are not uploaded to NHAIS so any record of previous treatments/conditions won't follow the patient.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to contact us I hope that the information that I have provided above will prove useful.

Kind regards
Michaela Laxton
Case Officer
Customer Contact Centre
NHS England|PO Box 16738 | Redditch | B97 9PT

Last edited:

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
any medical records made while being temporarily resident ... are not uploaded to NHAIS so any record of previous treatments/conditions won't follow the patient
I believe that in Australia you carry your own records including x-rays.
In light of that response, as most (?) records are now electronic, maybe it's worth taking a flash drive around for this sort of stuff, & asking GPs, hospitals etc to upload or email?
Maybe even for those of us not yet f/t but away most of the time?
Has anybody tried this?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Today, I took a memory stick with me, thinking that the hospital could quickly download my recent fracture x-rays, as suggested by CWH above.

Absolutey no chance. The consultant apologised, and explained that it was an absolute no no.
If I wanted copies of my recent fracture x-rays, I would have to apply to the department concerned, and pay for them. I declined.

Regards,

Jock.

Reactions: CWH
OP
OP
Autowbars

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
Still looking into things, GP, or the staff at the health centre say we are stupid to even consider it as records could take a good while to be made available. Strange as it will be on a computer and only needs printing!

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
On the subject of the new legislation and passport control checks when you enter / leave the country, has anyone been subjected to questioning yet and, if so, what did it entail generally? I will be returning to the UK in a few weeks after a number of months abroad and I am curious about what I will be asked and how it is recorded

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
On the subject of the new legislation and passport control checks when you enter / leave the country, has anyone been subjected to questioning yet and, if so, what did it entail generally? I will be returning to the UK in a few weeks after a number of months abroad and I am curious about what I will be asked and how it is recorded
Assuming you are returning from Europe I doubt you will get asked anything. We have recently returned from a 5 mouth tour of Europe and Morocco and nobody asked us where we had been or showed any interst at all.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
From what I understand they are phasing it in gradually with 100% coverage by June or July, at least I think I read that somewhere! Will find out soon enough, thanks anyway

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi Roger. Please can you provide a link to the info you quoted as I've been trying to find out more about this sort of restriction. Thank you.
Sorry Maz I forget where I copied it from but was an NHS site more info from the Telegraph
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/.../NHS-rejects-expats-returning-from-Spain.html

a quote from that article seems to bear out the change:-
Katrina Osman of IHC Employee Benefits said: “Many people don’t realise that once they move abroad then they can’t simply return for a holiday or to visit family and use the NHS for non-emergency treatment. If you live abroad for more than three months you don’t automatically qualify for NHS treatment, even if you still have a UK passport.”

from another document
http://www.england.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/who-pays.pdf
A person is generally not considered to have been living permanently outside of the UK if they have been gone for less than 3 months, therefore if you have been on a long holiday or have had to work for a short period abroad, then this should not affect your habitual residence status.
end quote.
In effect it states if you spend longer than 3 months living abroad it takes on a certain permanence in their eyes. There are enough quotes in all of the NHS documents to be a minefield SHOULD they decide to check. What I originally quoted was not hearsay it was something to be wary of.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Please can you provide a link to the info you quoted as I've been trying to find out more about this sort of restriction
I forget where I copied it from

Not sure if this link will work:
https://www.whittington.nhs.uk/document.ashx?id=3227

EDIT no it doesn't, but if you copy the link & paste into your browser, then download the document, that should work.

Angelwitch

Free Member
Feb 5, 2015
Hornsea
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2014
Autowbars,i am just reading this thread and wondering how you got on,i hope you achieved your dream to fulltime in UK .We have been doing it and wild camping too for 8 months,we go to a site every 9 days to charge all laptop batteries!

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I know this is a year old thread (almost) but having read through it a thought has sprung into my addled brain.
What is the difference between living abroad for three months, ie working, and being on holiday for three months abroad.
Is it classed as the same thing ?
If I went to Spain for a weeks holiday am I classed as living abroad or holidaying abroad ?
Yes, I am living in Spain for a week, but on holiday, which to me is a totally different thing to being resident in Spain.
So if I am in my MH in Spain for three months holiday (other destinations are available) how would that make me a resident ?

In other words, how would that affect my NHS status ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back