Police Crackdown On Overstayers? (1 Viewer)

DocHoliday

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
5 years
I heard a rumour that French police are visiting campsites looking for foreign vans that have been in the country for more than six months. Offenders are allegedly being fined and even made to pay Customs duty for importing a vehicle.

Is there any truth to this?

What could be the consequences if you were found to have overstayed?

I ask because some people I know are thinking of buying a UK van and keeping it in storage in France for the vast majority of the year.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
How would they know the van has been in France for more than six months. If it stayed in one campsite without moving that might be a clue and perhaps the campsite management might be asked how long its been there, but otherwise???????? and I suspect the French police have other things to worry about. I think its a rumour rather like gassing. Unless someone knows different.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Being French they might easily ask us to prove we have not overstayed by showing our travel docs, ie Ferry/Tunnel tickets.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Most sites ask you to complete a form and provide passports, which they take copies. Maybe they have to fill in a local authority form with arrival details etc, I would suspect so? When you stay in hotels they want your passport, not difficult to prove how long in a country, unless you keep moving.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
But how would they know you had not been into Spain for much of the time?

Or any other country on the continent that has no border controls. Even if the UK eventually leaves Europe and we are forced to get a stamp in our passport at the tunnel, thereafter there are no travel restrictions so it would be difficult to prove anything one way or the other.

OP
OP
D

DocHoliday

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
5 years
It seems unenforceable to me, unless you stay on the one site for months on end. There are a lot of countries bordering France that you could have popped over to.

I keep all my till receipts as evidence of where I've been.

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
I keep all my till receipts as evidence of where I've been.[/QUOTE]

So do I

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
It would be a pretty stupid move if they did start that, unless they are looking for illegal workers, which is fair enough.
Most snowbirds are retired and spend alot of money in the local area, and of course the Camping fees.
Not quite sure why someone would store a UK van in France, as you have to bring it back once a year for the MOT, unless of course it's new.
The Spanish authorities see long term "over winterers" as Transients and provided their vehicles are properly taxed and insured, don't seem to be too bothered.
There are a few who stay on the sites and work in the local "Black Economy" so maybe they are after those?

:cooler:

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
When I came through passport control at Roscoff last month, on my return to UK, the customs guy hovering by the passport kiosk asked me how long I had been in France. I suspect he was really interested to now whether I had been to Spain and bought lots of Spanish plonk. Would I ???

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back