Free Member
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Exp
Since 2016
Hi all,
I have been looking for my first motorhome, having searched on many sites Elddis seem to be lower in price for the year than other makes.

Can anyone comment on this?

I have been looking at Autosleepers & Autocruise 2 berth.

Just wanted some info. please.

Thanks

Heraldsteve

Free Member
May 15, 2015
Telford
Funster No
MH
Panel van conversion
Exp
Since 2011
Until last year I owned a 2003 Elddis on a Boxer chassis and I was VERY pleassed with it. I only sold it in a moment of panic when I was made redundant and soon regreted selling it!

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
We looked at Elddis and were on the point of buying a new Autoquest 195. While they are less expensive than most of their competitors there are not actually too many critical differences. Obviously they are short of the "toys" other manufacturers try to attract you with but we could not really fault them on the basics. We actually bought a used MH which better met our layout needs but would consider buying Elddis another time.
Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 19, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 115
Exp
Few years
My MH is an Elddis Autoquest 100 (2011 model on a 2012 plate)
Previously had a 15 year old rusty auto sleepers panel van and wanted something newer, and bigger.

The price of the Elddis was less than others of a similar age but I am really please with it.
It has a few of the finer details other vans have missing, but if your handy with the DIY then you can add them in yourself for less than the cost of buying a MH with them already.

Had this van since easter and have added:
Additional 12v and 240v sockets
Additional blown air outlet
Shelves in the overhead cupboards
Connected step to a buzzer so I can't drive with it out (again!)
Changed leisure battery and added a 2nd - now 2 x 110ah
Added 100w Solar Panel to charge leisure and vehicle battery and a battery master

Got a few more bits to do before its perfect!

Richard

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Another vote for Elddis as far as I'm concerned. Had an old 2004 Autoquest on a Boxer chassis. Great van. Yes, it lacked a few modern gizmos, but fine for a 'first' MH.

Part-ex'ed it for a new 155 from Marquis. Now how have loads of features AND at a reasonable price. Ok, so you don't get leather upholstery and other refinements, but I'm throughly pleased over all.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Can't speak for Eldiss, but as you mentioned Autocruise. Just partexed an Autocruise Rhythm for more than we paid for it two and a half years ago....Just needed a larger van as we retire (again) shortly and will be away for most of the year. We were very pleased with the Rhythm and all the bits in it..never had any sort of problem with it.
Autosleepers will cost more because they are built slightly better than other Brit vans. (Subjective comment) The proof of the pudding though is in Auto Sleeper resale values.(y)
Whatever you choose, enjoy the freedom. Good Luck!(y)(y)

Jan 29, 2015
shropshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2014
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
We have a 2011 Elddiss Autoquest 145 and love it. Speaking from the living/comfort and practical angle the layout works perfectly for us the dog sleeps between the back of the drivers seat and the two small dinette seats. We convert the end lounge into a bed but it also makes a nice lounging settee to sit on to watch the telly, then just roll out the duvalays and quilt for a bed. Kitchen area is compact but the fold out wing table is a godsend and the cupboard and storage space is surprisingly large.

To sum up our MoHo does not have the top end of the market fittings, but everything is of a good standard that is well thought out and works. We had a limit on how much we could spend but the Eldiss enabled us to buy a newish vehicle with just 4k on the clock and it was in immaculate condition.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
This is a very delicate subject to discuss, for all vans are expensive and for anyone to be critical about any particular marque would be in bad taste and would certainly annoy owners, who are happy with their expensive vans, if negative comments were to be aired.
There is something to be said about... you get what you pay for. Some new British vans I have seen at Motorhome shows make me angry when I see doors that do not fit or shoddy workmanship, I want British to be best but sometimes they fail.
In your shoes, I would search for a second-hand van, in perfect condition with very low mileage. This way you save the inevitable loss from a new van sale, you will be able to buy a more luxurious van for the same price as a new one and any snagging problems, dragging you back to the dealer, should be sorted. The warranty may well be the same as a new van. As for the novelty of owning a new van.... after you leave the dealers, it becomes potentially second hand anyway.

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
My present MH is an Autosleeper Symbol (’54 reg). Well built, no question, the quality of the carpentry (for example) is well above the standard of Elddis. However if this is one you have on your short list, I would take a second look. Although classed as a 2 berth I find it cramped, with not even enough room for myself and the dog, you end up continually moving stuff around to gain space.

Second hand prices are pretty good, but with a starting price of 50,000+ they should be.

Time spent looking at as many motorhomes as possible is the way to go. Draw up a short list of your requirements (end lounge, fixed bed etc.) and see if any of the Elddis MH’s fit the bill. Another make to consider is the Bailey range, similar quality to Elddis.

I’m picking up an Accordo 135 on Friday, four travelling seats, an end lounge and way more storage space than the Symbol, in a vehicle not that much longer. This ticked most of the boxes for me.

The addition of the rear garage door is a feature I feel will be put to good use:

Accordo%207_zpsdzeayhbi.jpg

Brian

OP
OP
Mimi

Mimi

Free Member
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Exp
Since 2016
Thank you all for your responses, much appreciated. I will take account of all the information and hopefully find a m/h soon.

Regards.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
I would search for a second-hand van, in perfect condition with

That's what we did, 18 months old Bolero, 4.5K, the previous owner had ticked every extra he could find, we got a great deal. and more importantly we did not take a hit on the VAT and taxes from new, Result! :smiley:

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
When we got our Autoquest 180 it had only done 1,800 miles and was 18 months old.
The fellow we bought from had kitted it out with absolutely everything imaginable including the following -

Heiki Rooflight and Awning
2 x Sunloungers
2 x Chairs
2 x Beach Chairs
1 x Windbreak
1 x Top Box plus Roof Rails to support
1 x Safe
1 x Rotary Clothes Line
1 x Satellite Dish & Receiver plus numerous cables and connections
2 x Fire Extinguishers and 1 x Fire Blanket. 1 x Smoke Alarm
1 x Towing Strap
1 x Reflective Safety Jacket
2 x First Aid Kits
Numerous Tie Down Straps.
1 x Security Wheel Clamp plus heavy duty chain and lock.
Numerous clothing/food containers
1 x 12v Kettle, 1 x 240v Kettle, 1 x 240v Toaster
Complete set of cutlery together with full set of Cups,Plates, Saucers, Bowls.
Water Containers - Fresh/Waste
2 x 25mt Extension Leads plus numerous adaptors.
2 x 25mt Water Hoses and numerous adaptors

Plus lots more ------

His intention was to spend the winter in Spain but I think his wife had gone off the idea. His asking price at the time was £34,000. I told him the most we could go up to was £30,000 which he accepted. He informed us that he had quite a few time wasters and he thought we appeared genuine. He must have lost quite a bit on his original outlay!

Being honest, we didn't look at many motorhomes but when we viewed this one we jumped right in. We could see it was virtually brand new and in pristine condition. We have been delighted with it and it suits our needs.

Rob

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
One other thing, when considering an Elddis motorhome, is the thermal insulation grade (if such a thing has any bearing on your choice).

Elddis are Grade 2, whereas Bailey for example is Grade 3.

Personally I have no ambition to spend much (any) time at sub zero temperatures, so it was of little interest.

Brian

Heraldsteve

Free Member
May 15, 2015
Telford
Funster No
MH
Panel van conversion
Exp
Since 2011
One other thing, when considering an Elddis motorhome, is the thermal insulation grade (if such a thing has any bearing on your choice).

Elddis are Grade 2, whereas Bailey for example is Grade 3.

Personally I have no ambition to spend much (any) time at sub zero temperatures, so it was of little interest.

Brian

I used my Elddis in cold conditions, including snowy nights, and had no problem keeping warm with the in-built heating.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I have a elddis 400. I have had this from new. it is now 25 years old. and I am pleased to say it is still going strong. and it still gets us all the way to Spain . and it still looks great inside. we hope whatever you pick , you are happy with it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back