LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We have toured most of Scotland in the past but never got to D & G so thought we would spend a couple of weeks exploring the area this year.

The decision has been made to go first week in July and wondered if anyone could please advise on any particular sights or places we should not miss.

On previous visits over the border we have usually been earlier or later in the year and have not suffered too much with little beasties .... is it likely that D & G in July will necessitate us travelling with full suits of armour for protection???
6263534.gif

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
All depends on weather conditions, temperature, specific location, vegetation, etc, etc. Mornings and evenings tend to be worst as they hate direct sunlight, wind speed over a gentle breeze, etc.
Avon Skin So Soft is, generally, highly recommended but others will say it doesn't work for them.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Glentrool Forest = Midgies/Cleggs the size of Chinooks.............Take DEET 100:D
But still a wonderful place to visit at any time of the year!(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Glentrool Forest = Midgies/Cleggs the size of Chinooks.............Take DEET 100:D
But still a wonderful place to visit at any time of the year!(y)
I agree forest /loch areas you will encounter midges but the coastal areas tend to be ok.
My father retired to Newton Stewart almost 40 years ago so have spent a lot of time up there it's a wonderful part of the country with beautiful scenery and is so often missed by people driving north.
My neighbours had a few unexpected days free recently and wanted to go somewhere different so I reccomended the area ...they loved it so much they are going back again in a few weeks.
It's a hidden gem and never crowded.

Last edited:

Daveg

Free Member
Sep 2, 2012
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
November 2012
The Galloway forest park was the first designated dark sky park in the UK. We wild camped there last September. Stunning skies.

BTW D&G is huge and varied. The south coast round Wigton and Gatehouse of Fleet is famously pretty.

Dave

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
The Galloway forest park was the first designated dark sky park in the UK. We wild camped there last September. Stunning skies.

BTW D&G is huge and varied. The south coast round Wigton and Gatehouse of Fleet is famously pretty.

Dave

Agreed.....Best star gazing anywhere in UK. Stunning on a cold crisp and clear winter night!(y)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
One of my favourite spots is out on the mull. Lovely little spot to wild.. the farmer may call on an evening to collect a couple of pounds...and I enjoy the site at Brighouse bay... all very handy for me and geared towards my sea fishing , but worth a visit for the scenery and walks even if fishing isn't your bag..
Image0172.jpg

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012

Dave

Going in July, it doesn't get dark on the west coast in July.:D

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
It does get dark in July, though not until very late. I live in D&G and after 40 years still think it's a beautiful place. Galloway Forest Park is nice, plenty of wild camping if that's your thing. We live on the peninsular at the western end of the region, very quiet, unspoilt, lovely beaches, I could go on. If you get to Stranraer for shopping, parking at Tesco is dreadful, Morrisons isn't much better but the Lidl is good. Plenty parking on the seafront at the breastworks car park, and all parking is free.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
It does get dark in July, though not until very late. I live in D&G and after 40 years still think it's a beautiful place. Galloway Forest Park is nice, plenty of wild camping if that's your thing. We live on the peninsular at the western end of the region, very quiet, unspoilt, lovely beaches, I could go on. If you get to Stranraer for shopping, parking at Tesco is dreadful, Morrisons isn't much better but the Lidl is good. Plenty parking on the seafront at the breastworks car park, and all parking is free.

Thanks for the reminders and pointers Will. We must get back...........and soon!(y)
As birders any time of the year is good but it's the Winter that is best for us particularly around Stranraer harbour and Mersehead....We just love it.:)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
You've made a good choice D & G is a beautiful place all year round, we live in Dumfries so if there's anything specific you like or want to know ask away. What's your interests is it museums, bird watching, hill walking we have it all. Also are you looking to stay in large sites or CL style sites or even wildcamping spots just ask and I'll do my best to help. Also around the end of June beginning of July we have a lot of galas around the Dumfries area.

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We often go to portpatrick and stay at Galloway point £20 per night inc EHU. Great views to dunskey castle over the sea toward Ireland. Lovely coastal walk down to the village with a couple of great pubs, the ship is our favourite and Campbell's restaurant is worth a visit if you like seafood and want to treat yourself.

OP
OP
icantremember

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
One of my favourite spots is out on the mull. Lovely little spot to wild.. the farmer may call on an evening to collect a couple of pounds...and I enjoy the site at Brighouse bay... all very handy for me and geared towards my sea fishing , but worth a visit for the scenery and walks even if fishing isn't your bag..View attachment 63105
That's a beautiful looking spot ... I haven't done any fishing for many years but seeing that I think I may dig out some tackle to take along.

OP
OP
icantremember

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Thanks for all the info .... we certainly aim to get to Stranraer and will be wilding as much as possible.

OP
OP
icantremember

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Thanks for the reminders and pointers Will. We must get back...........and soon!(y)
As birders any time of the year is good but it's the Winter that is best for us particularly around Stranraer harbour and Mersehead....We just love it.:)
Thanks BB ... we shall have our scopes & bins with us for a bit birding.

OP
OP
icantremember

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
You've made a good choice D & G is a beautiful place all year round, we live in Dumfries so if there's anything specific you like or want to know ask away. What's your interests is it museums, bird watching, hill walking we have it all. Also are you looking to stay in large sites or CL style sites or even wildcamping spots just ask and I'll do my best to help. Also around the end of June beginning of July we have a lot of galas around the Dumfries area.

Many thanks, we certainly like birding and walking (not as far as we used to though). Mainly we shall be looking to wild camp as much as possible.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
That's a beautiful looking spot ... I haven't done any fishing for many years but seeing that I think I may dig out some tackle to take along.

hi brian , if you decide to have a look, its right out on the mull, the turn off is through a gate on the right where the land narrows just before the road starts the climb to the lighthouse and a little beach can be seen down on the left.. there are also parking spots down there but gets busy on that side at times so I prefer the little field on the right... a setepish path takes you down to where you see the van parked and as long as weather is ok and your van isn't huge should be fine..
ta andy

OP
OP
icantremember

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
hi brian , if you decide to have a look, its right out on the mull, the turn off is through a gate on the right where the land narrows just before the road starts the climb to the lighthouse and a little beach can be seen down on the left.. there are also parking spots down there but gets busy on that side at times so I prefer the little field on the right... a setepish path takes you down to where you see the van parked and as long as weather is ok and your van isn't huge should be fine..
ta andy
Thanks Andy, the m/h is 7.5m and we shall have the toad with us but that can soon be unhitched if necessary.

OP
OP
icantremember

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Thanks BB ... we shall have our scopes & bins with us for a bit birding.

In July, try the RSPB Mull of Galloway site....great for tysties, bonxies and terns of shore and the auks on the cliffs. The cafe there has already mentioned on this thread and I can confirm that the cakes are memorable! Last time we went it was totally fogged out but within an hour the lot had cleared and we had a brilliant day out!
This is the reserve blog:-
http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/placestovisit/mullofgalloway/b/weblog/default.aspx
Enjoy!(y)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I think we should close down this thread now, don't want too many vans around, we only have quiet roads here.

Bill
p.s. Don't tell your friends

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
OP
OP
icantremember

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
:thanks4:To everyone for all your suggestions, we are really looking forward to our visit & maybe see some of you up there.(y)

Any further advice would still be apreciated please.:)

M

Madwife

Deleted User
We stay at Aird Donald caravan and camping site which is almost in the centre of Stranraer and very handy for the ferries to and from Ireland. The old couple that run the site are lovely and helpful. It's only a very short walk along to Morrisons and the town.

The site is very peaceful and has a vast population of rabbits including many black ones.

Kath

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
well brian here is another spot I don't think has been mentioned, costal again as it was always fishing that took me there.....
the isle of whithorn. there are miles of costal paths.. from the village where you have st ninians chapel to a remote beach where you can see st ninians cave...
there is a costal site at burrow head which is handy for this area and even though its not a 5 star site the location is great especially if weather is good . countless hours spent fishing off the rocks for mackerel and Pollock in that area. a picture looking over the rocks from the site at burrow head... the two wooden stumps are what remains of the wicker man which was filmed there in the 70's.
Dsc00172.jpg

and a look back over the site..(some time ago lol.. my old camper van in shot.)
Dsc00155.jpg

ta again...andy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back