Does A Hab Check Have To Be Done By The Supplying Dealer To Maintain The Warranty? (1 Viewer)

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
On a new van, when it's time for the first habitation check does this have to be done by the supplying dealer to maintain the warranty (as they have suggested) , or can you take it elsewhere? The dealer I bought the van from is some distance away, and seems to charge a lot more than my local dealers for the same thing.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I think you'll find it has to be a done by an authorised agent of the converter, but not necessarily the supplying dealer. It can't just be any old motorhome dealer. For example if you have a Rapido it can be Wokingham, Highbridge or Brownhills but not anyone else. I guess for you an email to Chausson asking for a list of their authorised dealers would be the way forward.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We used to have a Chausson and it has to be done by an authorised Chausson workshop, not necessarily a dealer though. Unfortunately the NCC workshop scheme isn't accepted.

The reason is that whoever does it has to be able to access the Chausson service 'database' to input the habitation service information once it's been carried out and therefore must be registered with Chausson (and pay a fee), we used to use an independent chap who had kept his Chausson registration when he left a dealership that closed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Also make certain you empty all the cupboards and lockers as they won`t move things to use the damp meter.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
As above depends on the manufacturer.
Mine is Autotrail and has to be done by NCC approved, so that gives me lots of choice.
Used a mobile engineer on first hab check, he found some problems and AT accepted the report with no issues.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
As above depends on the manufacturer.
Mine is Autotrail and has to be done by NCC approved, so that gives me lots of choice.
Used a mobile engineer on first hab check, he found some problems and AT accepted the report with no issues.

I also have an Autotrail and Dealer/Autotrail advised me directly prior to purchase that as long as I use a NCC approved workshop I can get the habitation inspection done locally (not DC in Aberdeen:p). Further, with approval warranty work can be done locally or by mobile engineer. I purchased 450 miles from home because I didn't like local dealers.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The NCC is a UK organisation and I guess funded, at least in part, by the UK converters so perhaps it makes sense that those companies accept their workshops whilst the European converters don't.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Depends on manufacturer, Hymer's & Carthago's don't require a habitation check to keep the warranty only the annual damp check which can be done by any of their Dealers.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Autocruise just require a Swift franchise dealer to undertake. The details are all logged in to the Swift database once the hab service is completed.

Wobby

Free Member
Aug 26, 2007
Hailsham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2005
Depends on manufacturer, Hymer's & Carthago's don't require a habitation check to keep the warranty only the annual damp check which can be done by any of their Dealers.

That interesting to know, as the habitation check is way overrated. I'm just going to have the damp check done to maintain the water ingress warranty. All the equipment is covered under the individual manufactures warranty, whats more in the UK we have the sale of goods act which is much more inforceable that people realise. I know as I've had to hold a dealer to book when the manufactuer didn't want to know, and won.

Wobby

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That interesting to know, as the habitation check is way overrated. I'm just going to have the damp check done to maintain the water ingress warranty. All the equipment is covered under the individual manufactures warranty, whats more in the UK we have the sale of goods act which is much more inforceable that people realise. I know as I've had to hold a dealer to book when the manufactuer didn't want to know, and won.

Wobby
Had the last Hymer nearly six years never had a habitation check, never had any problems with warranty items.

arao99

Free Member
Feb 3, 2012
west midlands
Funster No
MH
dont own
Exp
May 2012

Hi ,
Lennyhb how much do Hymer dealers charge for just the damp ckeck?

GEOMAR

Free Member
Mar 22, 2015
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
9 years
Hi Steve
Perthshire caravans are autotrail agents at Errol on main road between Dundee and Perth
GEOMAR

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Hi Steve
Perthshire caravans are autotrail agents at Errol on main road between Dundee and Perth
GEOMAR
Yip GEOMAR, but I wont be going there either unless I really have to. Prior to purchasing the new MoHo I contacted a couple of other dealers who have agreed to do work for me if they can. DC wont touch mine anyway because I didn't buy from them and PC were not very polite when I enquired about buying a new van back in August 2014. So, I will give my business to those who are interested regardless if I purchased from them or not. Cheers, Steve

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016

Wobby
Surely the habitation check is also for safety with gas, water and electric making sure all is safe in my mind is essential though must admit costly.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
£84 for a damp check seems expensive.

I have just had habitation check + damp check carried out by Authorised Agent for £120 + VAT - 20% discount for regular custom.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Yip GEOMAR, but I wont be going there either unless I really have to. Prior to purchasing the new MoHo I contacted a couple of other dealers who have agreed to do work for me if they can. DC wont touch mine anyway because I didn't buy from them and PC were not very polite when I enquired about buying a new van back in August 2014. So, I will give my business to those who are interested regardless if I purchased from them or not. Cheers, Steve
You had a lucky escape, I wouldn't trust the service dept at DC to wire up a plug.......

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Best thing is NOT have the habitation service done by the supplying dealer as they will probably not find anything wrong with their vans

Jun 14, 2011
Grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
7 years
I totally agree with F Jmikes post re supplying dealer, my last van had hab services done by supplying dealer, no damp found,, upon exchange for new van damp found. Of course out of warranty but it does make you wonder, so why not have an independent opinion by getting it done elsewhere of course within the warranty conditions.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back