Help Required - Ford Transit (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Hi can some one out there offer any advise on the on going problem I have with Hobby based Ford Transit.

June 2014 traveling up a very small hill, start to lose power and computer states "engine malfunction". Called out "Ford Assist" (AA) who thought it was a problem (via their computer) with the EGR valve!

July 2015 as above

September 2014. EGR valve cleaned

End of September same trouble again!

October 2014. New EGR valve fitted

December 2014 3000 miles later same problem. "Ford Assist" once again say EGR (via their computer)

January 2015. On the way to ET from Devon, once again same trouble this time we call in to the local Ford Garage at Redhill . On their diagnostic checks could not find any faults!! They then fitted a new Fuel Filter.

Jan/Feb/March 2015 4ooo mile around France and Spain no trouble

May 2015. Trip to Newbury Show, once again lost power on very small hill. switch off engine and restart everything OK. this happened about three times on the way home to Devon. Engine computer shows "engine malfunction

PLEASE has anybody got any suggestions as this is starting to cost a fortune every time I visit a garage and I love this van and don't want to sell it!!

colyboy

karl c

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2010
Transit EGR pain in ass, there is a spray you can buy to just spray into the in take.
get a OBD reader off ebay and reset it your self.
you may not be driving it hard so the EGR clogs up, just spray in as it say on the can.

Microchip

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2005
Had the same problem but on a Fiat 2.8 jtd.
Any small incline and engine management light comes on, then the fault would disappear for a while.
In the end I took it to a small local Fiat garage and they found the turbo waste gate valve was tight and was sticking intermittently.
Hope the may help.
Keith.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

karl c

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2010
this fault in transit all the time from new they change them only if the engine light come on, if it sticks open you lose power. This is the same on most with an EGR.

OP
OP
colyboy
Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
KARL

What spray do I need and where can I get it?

colyboy

karl c

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2010
EGR Valve cleaner about £12 for any car shop or Halfords, just follow that on the can .
I did our car twice then with the OBD reader cleared the code. just keep them both in the van and do again if needed.

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Have you tried driving it as though you have just stolen it.
Joking aside every time I come down a motorway slip road I give it a good thrashing in the low gears.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
That is what mechanic told me to do. Once warmed up as you leave a roundabout just thrash it hard through the gears. He said delivery vans never have this trouble, haha

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Just another thought, have you Googled some of the Tranny websites. You can pick up some good tips off them.

karl c

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2010
That is what mechanic told me to do. Once warmed up as you leave a roundabout just thrash it hard through the gears. He said delivery vans never have this trouble, haha
we have an old P reg transit and I have to get the wife to take it for the mot, as when I take it fails . then she takes it back and passes . she has a lead foot.. (y)

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi @colyboy as has been mentioned the Ford transit forum is an excellent forum with a lot of very knowledgeable lads... They could point you in the right direction..
If your problem is egr valve related and it persists there is a lad Martin on there who can do you a map for ecu that deletes the egr function... I've been running it for a month or so now and all is good... you will need to clean the intake side from turbo to inlet ports before you get that done... I have posted a few pictures of what's entailed on techno 100 thread on egr valves...A quick search in tech and mechanical section should find it.
There is a manifold pressure and temp sensor in the air intake pipe to the inlet manifold which also gets fouled.
On mine it's by the egr valve inlet to the manifold... easily removed and cleaned with carb cleaner....that can help.
The sprays mentioned above may be ok but I reckon a short term solution if it is the valve sticking....
Could be turbo related but you don't mention any codes relating to that...
Anyway hope this helps...If you want any details on above points just get in touch...
Ta andy

Last edited:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I blanked off the bloody thing simple jobe took ten minutes, bought the plate from ebay and it is the same for Jaguar cars with the same engine. Otherwise give it a damn good thrashing like John Cleese did. Honestly give it a bit of stick sometimes, but the plate is the permanent fix. You will find the whole lot a sticky black oily carbony mess, the idea is the the Nox is reduced, It may be but the gunge must really foul the inlet manifold and that is why you get loss of power. The particulate filter also needs a bit of welly to clear it.
As the man said Parcel delivery vans do not suffer, I get passed by them doing 90 in morning off to do their rounds.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I blanked off the bloody thing simple jobe took ten minutes, bought the plate from ebay and it is the same for Jaguar cars with the same engine. Otherwise give it a damn good thrashing like John Cleese did. Honestly give it a bit of stick sometimes, but the plate is the permanent fix. You will find the whole lot a sticky black oily carbony mess, the idea is the the Nox is reduced, It may be but the gunge must really foul the inlet manifold and that is why you get loss of power. The particulate filter also needs a bit of welly to clear it.
As the man said Parcel delivery vans do not suffer, I get passed by them doing 90 in morning off to do their rounds.
hi, its not that simple on the later engine vans like the mk7 transit....the egr is electronically operated and has a feed back to the ecu...simply blanking them will most probably throw a fault code and possible limp mode... unlike a purley mechanically operated valve.
the only way I know of is to delete the egr function from the ecu....see my above post...
ive also been told about giving the engine a good drive but not sure about that one now, as the egr valve is designed to work during steady efficient driving conditions and not during say tick over and hard acceleration...
I really don't know why some engines suffer so badly and others seem to be ok.....as I indicated above I cleansd my inlet system before deleting the function from the ecu, but really it wasn't as bad as I had expected..
ta andy

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I think they make a blank with a smaller hole that allows some flow and will not trip the electronics.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I think they make a blank with a smaller hole that allows some flow and will not trip the electronics.

yes ive heard of them. but my thinking is if the egr valve is faulty and sticks open you still have the problem of the gas entering the manifold when you don't want it to, causing the same fault , ie eratic idle loss of power etc...
it may be the more expensive option but imho, getting it written out of the map is the best option on the electronically controlled valves..

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
It would still go in there without the blanking plate BUT it is far less liable to get gunged up with the plate there. It also is more efficient when no breathing in it's own exhaust.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back