Jan 15, 2008
South Wales Vallys
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since October 07 but Caravanning since 1972
Hi
We are picking up our new Fiat Panda Friday its 6 months old and we want to tow it with the M/H.
Thing is we don't know what A frame to use. Towtal. Chris Cox. or Caratow. We have read all the info but they all seem much the same so any info from people who know would be much appreciated
Maureen

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi

I have a braked Car A Tow and find it great , it's easy to hook up, the arms fold back for easy storage in the car boot .. highly recommend it.. :thumb:

I don't think there is much to choose between them, it will come down to cost and how far you need to travel to have it fitted.

Jim

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
they all work in exactly the same way.

some just have rings sticking out the front of the car and others have a bar running across the front.
i beleive chris cox has rings and caratow have the bar.
obviously the small rings are more appealing to the eye than a 1" thick, 2ft long bar but the bar is easier to hook onto if youre alone.....just hook on the ends and fit the pin clips.

the rings are more awkward as you have to align the rings and frame then feed the bar through both rings.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I have a Chris Cox but if i was to buy again get a car a tow.

muz

Free Member
Nov 15, 2007
eastwood notts
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
10 years
a frame

hi,ive had two vehicles done by towtol at stoke on trent excellent both times when we had ours fitted they were the cheepest and in my oppinion the most helpfull.we are at sandfeilds camp site just outside of whitby if any funsters on site come and have a cupper.motorhome fun stickers in window.white and silver rv.

PFH

Free Member
Jul 15, 2008
WALES
Funster No
MH
LOW LINE COACH
Exp
3 Years
Hi Maureen.
I have a Chriss Cox and tow a Corsa, No problems at all and it fits in the boot easy.

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
I've owned all three.
1. The Chris Cox system was fairly light but a bit fiddly to set up as the arms are hinged horizontally with a couple of pins and spring clips to hold the arms in place. I have to say it's far and away the ugliest set up on the front of the car, It's just a great lump of angle iron.
2. The Towtal system is huge and is too heavy and unwieldy for me to put it on the car on my own. You have to push a bar through the hole on the a-frame, through the hole in the towing bracket, across the front of the car through the other towing bracket and then try and hold it in place while you put the other arm of the a-frame on.
The quality of the hitch lock is so bad we had to have it drilled off the very first time we used it.
3. The car a tow uses a fairly discrete bar on the front of the car. The A-frame is hinged vertically so just swing round and pushed onto the bar. It really was pretty straight forward and the a-frame wasn't too heavy.
If was buying again, I'd probably go for the car-a-tow system.

Hope that helps
Regards
Doug

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
hi maureen.some very different opinions there.we also tow a fiat panda,the a-frame was fitted by tow-tal in stoke.no problems they were very good,as doug rightfully says it is a tad heavy,but apart from that we are very pleased.regards brian:thumb:

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
hi maureen.some very different opinions there.we also tow a fiat panda,the a-frame was fitted by tow-tal in stoke.no problems they were very good,as doug rightfully says it is a tad heavy,but apart from that we are very pleased.regards brian:thumb:

We too, have a Towtal a frame and I agree it is a bit heavy but does the job perfectly and fits in the Smart too! Iwould imagine because of the weight it is also stronger too.
Oh! and welcome to the site
Regards, Dave:thumb:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
We have a Towtal frame and think it's excellent - solid and well made, it fits in our Smart easily, so "huge" it isn't. I manage it on my own and I'm, well shall we say, a mature woman...so it really shouldn't be a problem for anyone without disabilities. I guess all the makes "do the job" so its a matter of personal choice and perhaps distance to the company?

Hope you choose well and are happy with the frame!

bald eagle

Free Member
Jan 30, 2009
here,there and everywhere
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since 1998
Hi maureenD
We got ours from total and we have no complaints,
also if you show them your motorhome documents
they will give you a clip on number plate and a magnetic
on tow sign,also they where the cheapest at the time.
good luck.

regards
bald eagle

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
We have a Towtal frame and think it's excellent - solid and well made, it fits in our Smart easily, so "huge" it isn't. I manage it on my own and I'm, well shall we say, a mature woman...so it really shouldn't be a problem for anyone without disabilities. I guess all the makes "do the job" so its a matter of personal choice and perhaps distance to the company?

Hope you choose well and are happy with the frame!

Hi Laurie,
I should have pointed out that all of the a-frames I'm talking about are braked. As you can see they are quite different.
Here's the Smart version Link Removed

Here's the braked version
Link Removed

Regards
Doug

OP
OP
MaureenD

MaureenD

Free Member
Jan 15, 2008
South Wales Vallys
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
A Frame

Hi Doug
Please can you tell me the make of the braked a frame in the photo
Thanks Maureen

OP
OP
MaureenD

MaureenD

Free Member
Jan 15, 2008
South Wales Vallys
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
A Frame

Hi Jim
Thanks for that but we would need to have one fitted by experts. Think we have decided though a car a tow looks good and they could do it for us middle April. We pick up the Panda tomorrow.
Maureen

OP
OP
MaureenD

MaureenD

Free Member
Jan 15, 2008
South Wales Vallys
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
A Frame

Thank you all so much for your replys. We are having a Car A Tow. We are going to Poole on the 16th April for fitting of A frame 17th April.
Looking forward to getting it done
Maureen

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Thank you all so much for your replys. We are having a Car A Tow. We are going to Poole on the 16th April for fitting of A frame 17th April.
Looking forward to getting it done
Maureen
Maureen if you dont mind how much is it costing?
Jim :Smile:

F

Franc

Deleted User
A Frame Hertfordshire

Hello everyone,

I would be very grateful if you could tell me if there was a garage that fitted A frames in Hertfordshire or there about.
I have been searching the net for hours and I can only see the one in the north of England.
Regards
Franc

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back