May 4, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 745
Exp
MH since 2015, still feel like a newbie
Can anyone recommend a sat nav?

I've heard the Garmin 760D is good, but I've heard the Snooper is better??
Anyone have any feedback or experience with either of these devices?

Just finished my second weekend out in MH and today was my first rally - great fun and a lovely weekend.
Trips 3 & 4 for the next 2 weekends, starting to get the hang of things :)

Thx

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think it depends partly on how big your MH is. If you are driving something the size of a bus then being able to program into the satnav the size of the vehicle will help it choose an appropriate route. It isn't foolproof but it helps.

Our MH is 2m wide and I use a normal car type satnav as it can more or less go anywhere a car can - the MH that is, the satnav is stuck to the windscreen and just follows that - sometimes complaining loudly if it disagrees on the choice of route but that's the nature of them! It is a Garmin - now an obsolete model but there is plenty of support available for these well known makes on line.

There are threads on here about the Chinese satnav - very cheap but support a bit limited I think, but for the money certainly worth trying.

I wouldn't be without a satnav these days, worth it just for finding aires in Europe if for no other reason.

None of which answers your question of course! The models mentioned are very expensive and i am not sure you would need them unless you are driving a very big MH.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
I have a snooper very good has all the acsi and caravan club sites pre loaded you can also put your van size in so you do not go down roads with low bridges etc

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

GeoffTitto

Free Member
Nov 4, 2014
Bury
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Being a motorcyclist as well as a motorhomer I got to used to phone apps that will talk to the bluetooth in my helmet. for MH I'm using Co pilot on my ipad through van usb. No probs to-date and it has a MH specific setting.!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bagram11

Bagram11

Free Member
May 4, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 745
Exp
MH since 2015, still feel like a newbie
Being a motorcyclist as well as a motorhomer I got to used to phone apps that will talk to the bluetooth in my helmet. for MH I'm using Co pilot on my ipad through van usb. No probs to-date and it has a MH specific setting.!
Good Lord that all sounds very technical!! (n):LOL:

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
If you fancy the Garmin 760LMT-D Aldi had it on offer a couple of weeks back for £199. You may be lucky as they may still have some left.

Upvote 0
Mar 1, 2015
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Frankia 840GD
Exp
Since 2015
i have never used a Garmin so I cannot comment on their Sat Nav.
i am using a Snooper 8500 and I find it very easy to use and it had not let me down and always given me good directions. i have inputted my MH size and weight and it has not sent me down any innapropriate routes. I have tried to force it by driving to a few low bridges that I could not fit under and it has always re-directed me. But i do not rely on it 100% as I am old school and like to check a map first.

The main let down is the extra wires for Dab radio arial and traffic reports.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Have had a couple of Garmins last one is only a year old route planning is naff prefer IGO Premo software far superior to Garmin.

Upvote 0

Gandhi

Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Near Glossop
Funster No
MH
bessacar E496
Exp
5 years
Tom Tom Smart or Tom Tom XL with European maps all the way every time. Had apps, Garmins and others and always end up with good old Tom Tom.

Upvote 0

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
+1 for the smart phone or similar. In the UK I use Google maps by default or Waze if I'm letting OH know when I'll be home, in Europe I use Navigator with the open street maps pre loaded because it doesn't need a data connection.

Advantage is the device and maps are constantly up to date without me thinking about it and the sound comes through my speakers as I also use the phone for music or audio books.

Upvote 0

hovisbrown

Free Member
May 15, 2012
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Auto-Sleeper
Exp
Hi all, for what it's worth we have used a Chinese "Truck Nav" for the last year and it's performed really well, you can input the weight and dimensions of your van and it will avoid bridges and things. Only hiccup we had was early on, the first one we had stopped working. I emailed them via Ebay, they apologised profously and sent us another one that has yet to miss a beat. They didn't want the first one back so I got it fixed (new on/off switch) and now we have two. So for what they cost compared to some others they are certainly worth a try.
Regards

Upvote 0
Apr 20, 2015
Blenheim, New Zealand
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I am a newbie
Many thanks. Just the info we were looking for.
We are finally picking up our new, and first motorhome this Thursday. Yippee
clear.png

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi all, for what it's worth we have used a Chinese "Truck Nav" for the last year and it's performed really well, you can input the weight and dimensions of your van and it will avoid bridges and things. Only hiccup we had was early on, the first one we had stopped working. I emailed them via Ebay, they apologised profously and sent us another one that has yet to miss a beat. They didn't want the first one back so I got it fixed (new on/off switch) and now we have two. So for what they cost compared to some others they are certainly worth a try.
Regards
These are our views too, regarding the 7" Chinese Truck Sat Nav, but without the hiccup as we didn't experience one. (y)

Cheers,

Jock.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Chinese Sat navs for very little money would be my first preference. Had one for 4 years now and still going strong. Got me all round France North spain and portugal. Also use osmand+ on a tablet this i find a bit quirky in use but once you have the destination and way points in seems to work well.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I use Chinese & Tomtom. I prefer tbe Chinese one for the 'van (because it thinks I'm a truck and steers me clear of town centres) but the Tomtom for car driving. When in France I use both (just for verification).

Upvote 0
May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
I have Tom Tom and Snooper (Caravan club edition). TomTom has never ever let me down and I can use the georgeous voice of Joanna Lumley with it which is marvellous. Often go the wrong way just to here her say "Turn around when possible darling". Can't get on with Snooper though I find it difficult to judge exactly what it means when it says "turn right in 1 80 yards" particularly where there are two roads quite close together. One feature I do love is that all the French aires are on it and it has not let me down albeit sometimes I have had to guess which road to take part route. All in all it would have to be TomTom for me.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back