Fiat Ducato (51 plate) Windscreen Wiper not parking, or intermittent wipe (1 Viewer)

davetthedon

Free Member
Mar 25, 2009
Malvern, Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
GreatBig Bugger
Exp
Hi All
Just thought I'd share a fix I found today when faced with a failed MOT test. Failure to park windscreen wipers: I'ts been driving me nuts for ages, as an intermittent fault.
Garage fix: Buy new motor, or get a scrappy. :thumbdown:
My Fix: No Charge (Got to be a winner) :thumb:
Undo two nuts holding on the cowling over the solenoids above the rocker cover. Undo two nuts holding on the bracket for the solenoids. Undo the central nut on the windscreen wiper motor, followed by the three bolts holding it to its bracket. Ease the motor off the mechanism. Undo the larger of the two cable plugs. The smaller one is plugged into the motor itself.
Now you have the motor in your hands.
Time to go inside and sit at the table.:beerchug:
Release the plastic covers holding the circuit board on. Get a fine soldering iron, and de-solder the three pegs holding the circuit board onto the casing. Check over the board, there are only a few components, all of which should be available from RS Components or similar for silly money. Check the solenoid, and use some fine wet&dry on the contacts. The large plug leading into the board has five wires, black (ground), Blue/Green (Fast Speed), Blue/Red (Normal), Blue/Yellow (Intermittent), Blue (Parking Current). If you follow the circuit board you will see there are jumpers from the large plug to the small plug, and hence the motor. These can be tested using a variable voltage transformer and some leads, and a multimeter to check continuity to see if the motor is dead or if its the circuit board. The purple lead is fast speed, the brown normal and the black is ground. Finally re-solder the components, carefully, I found all that was wrong with mine was a dry joint or two.
Saved about £80-£90 in parts and God knows how much in Garage labour.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Cheers Dave,

Glad you managed to fix it.I had a similar problem with mine on an old classic once.

Turned out there was an excess of grease that had got on the track of the printed circuit board where the park (electrical wiper) made contact it.

Sometimes, when things are scarce or impossible to find, repair is the only option.:thumb:

Steve.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Good result:thumb: Something else to keep on file.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
My Fix: No Charge (Got to be a winner) .

Well bodged Sir.

PS - for those who do not know, The Bodger was a skilled repair man who walked from village to village doing repairs for the peasants - like crafting a new chair leg from a branch, the exact opposite of how it works today.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back