LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I bought one of these over Xmas for £29.99 - they are reduced by £20.

Connect up to 10 devices for mobile internet.

Cancel the contract as soon as you buy it so it doesn't cost you a monthly fee and use a sim from other sources as and when you need it.

EE SIM cards from eBay or similar for around £15 for a few gigs.

3 Sim for approx £4 for a gb from Currys. You will need to unlock it to use a non-EE sim (code from eBay for 99p).

Broken Link Removed

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Perhaps they have fallen in price because there is no longer a requirement for them as any smartphone can be used as a wifi hotspot.

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Perhaps they have fallen in price because there is no longer a requirement for them as any smartphone can be used as a wifi hotspot.

May be partly true but not every mobile phone company permits tethering so phone hot spots don't work for everyone.

Some of the reasons why we have one is that the family can surf the web without using my data allowance (or going over it) and without having to keep hold of my phone while I go elsewhere. Also, I have a number of 1gb SIM cards from different networks so I can choose which to use if my phone signal isn't great.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If anyone gets one of these be aware that it can be an absolute nightmare to cancel the contract without incurring either a month's charge or a cancellation fee ...

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Can you plug an external aerial into it? I've found an external aerial very valuable at times and now use it all the time.

The benefit for me of a mifi is I can use it with Three's feel at home thingy and still have my O2 mobile for voice. I can't use a single device for that as O2 reception where I live is poor and where Three works in Europe is much cheaper than O2 for data.

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
If anyone gets one of these be aware that it can be an absolute nightmare to cancel the contract without incurring either a month's charge or a cancellation fee ...
Maybe I was lucky at Xmas time - I didn't have any problems cancelling the contract nor did I get charged any fee.

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Can you plug an external aerial into it? I've found an external aerial very valuable at times and now use it all the time.

The benefit for me of a mifi is I can use it with Three's feel at home thingy and still have my O2 mobile for voice. I can't use a single device for that as O2 reception where I live is poor and where Three works in Europe is much cheaper than O2 for data.

No apparent way of connecting an aerial. Just micro USB slot.

I will be doing the same with my feel at home sim during our summer tour.

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

Just correcting the above. It is Three reception which is poor at home and why I need O2. If this wasn't the case I would probably have Three contract.

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Just correcting the above. It is Three reception which is poor at home and why I need O2. If this wasn't the case I would probably have Three contract.

I'm so used to having a poor O2 signal that your comment didn't surprise me. The only time that I had a good signal was during the last month of my 24 month contract. 23 months of promises of improvements appeared after I had given notice to leave.

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Excuse my technophobic comments ..... But how do you do this? I have a smartphone with 4g unlimited use and an iPad without. When away I only use my smartphone if no wifi hotspot! This could be revolutionary for me :fubar:

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Thanks for that(y) bought one yesterday, 1gb, £10 contract but got a free 2gb as an add on(y)
My question is, is this going to work in france??

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Excuse my technophobic comments ..... But how do you do this? I have a smartphone with 4g unlimited use and an iPad without. When away I only use my smartphone if no wifi hotspot! This could be revolutionary for me :fubar:
Go into your mobile data settings...
There should be a setting in there like "hotspot"... (iPhone) .. others will be similar.
Activate the hotspot and there is an option for a password that can be changed ... Also, the hotspot name will be visible.
If you activate the iPad wifi you should see the phones wifi name and if you click it and enter the password you should be able to log on.
It is also accesable via Bluetooth ....

Hopefully this make some sense !

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
On an Android phone, turn Mobile data on go to Setting/More Settings/Tethering & portable Hotspots then turn on Portable WiFi. That is how to do it in Jelly Bean, KitKat & Lollypop are slightly different I think a bit easier, but you should get the jest.

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!

On your phone, in settings, turn on your Personal hotspot, on your ipad turn on wi-fi and look for you phone, connect, easy peasy(y) of course you do still need a 4g signal on your phone;)

Snap:D look through all three answers should get you connected

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Thanks for that(y) bought one yesterday, 1gb, £10 contract but got a free 2gb as an add on(y)
My question is, is this going to work in france??

Your current sim is not likely to be great value in France. However, if you get an unlock code from eBay, you'll be able to use a Three at home sim and a 30 day bolt on that will give you unlimited data in France.

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Check that your phone company / contact allows tethering - some don't and may block your account.

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
OMG that is so easy. My settings have a tethering and mobile hotspot option and I've just done it! Maybe there is hope for me yet!

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Your current sim is not likely to be great value in France. However, if you get an unlock code from eBay, you'll be able to use a Three at home sim and a 30 day bolt on that will give you unlimited data in France.
I'm currently with O2 and off to France in 4 weeks. I'll check with O2 and then get this if needed. You're really testing me now .... 3 at home sim is ok but 30 day bolt on aaaahhh

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
OMG that is so easy. My settings have a tethering and mobile hotspot option and I've just done it! Maybe there is hope for me yet!

Be aware that not all networks allow tethering ok(y) but it would seem by your reaction that all is ok:)

SORRY its already been said:doh:

Last edited:
OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I'm currently with O2 and off to France in 4 weeks. I'll check with O2 and then get this if needed. You're really testing me now .... 3 at home sim is ok but 30 day bolt on aaaahhh

I bought a 3 Mobile simple to get onto their network. It gave free minutes to call and data for 30 days then it lasts until the cost of call and data uses up the credit. In order to use the unlimited data in France and 20 other countries, I bought a bolt on package for £15 - it lasts 30 days.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
The Chinese manufacturer who make those devices is working on something called "white space" they are looking into some sort of gadget that will provide a world wide wifi , apparently white space is the gap between radio waves and it can pass through solid objects , the idea is originally from a Cambridge based electronics company.

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
The Chinese manufacturer who make those devices is working on something called "white space" they are looking into some sort of gadget that will provide a world wide wifi , apparently white space is the gap between radio waves and it can pass through solid objects , the idea is originally from a Cambridge based electronics company.

That would be great - I think - wifi in many areas is poor and white space wifi should be a lot cheaper to set up than traditional 3G and I hope, give wider and faster coverage than existing technology.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I bought one of these over Xmas for £29.99 - they are reduced by £20.

Connect up to 10 devices for mobile internet.

Cancel the contract as soon as you buy it so it doesn't cost you a monthly fee and use a sim from other sources as and when you need it.

EE SIM cards from eBay or similar for around £15 for a few gigs.

3 Sim for approx £4 for a gb from Currys. You will need to unlock it to use a non-EE sim (code from eBay for 99p).

Broken Link Removed
Thanks for that. Reserved one from Currys and picked it up yesterday.

When I collected and paid for it the guy at Currys gave me the EE SIM, but did not put it in the mifi and connect it. He took all my bank details and set up a direct debit, but said that the SIM would not activate and I would not pay anything for it until I put it in the mifi and allowed it to connect to the internet.

Is that correct and have others here not paid unless the SIM has been connected?

If that is correct then I am happy with that because I have already unlocked it with a code from Ebay and want to use it with my Europasim. So will I never be charged by EE I wonder?

Trouble is at the moment my EuropaSim is playing up, but that is another matter, and I will start a separate thread for that problem.

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Thanks for that. Reserved one from Currys and picked it up yesterday.

When I collected and paid for it the guy at Currys gave me the EE SIM, but did not put it in the mifi and connect it. He took all my bank details and set up a direct debit, but said that the SIM would not activate and I would not pay anything for it until I put it in the mifi and allowed it to connect to the internet.

Is that correct and have others here not paid unless the SIM has been connected?

If that is correct then I am happy with that because I have already unlocked it with a code from Ebay and want to use it with my Europasim. So will I never be charged by EE I wonder?

Trouble is at the moment my EuropaSim is playing up, but that is another matter, and I will start a separate thread for that problem.

Sorry, I don't know when they start charging: I started mine and cancelled the contract as soon as I bought it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back