LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
The motorhome groups on facebook seem to be reporting a motorhome stolen on a daily basis now.The majority are taken off driveways at home.
It wont be long before there is more stolen motorhomes on our roads than legally owned ones.
Iv'e bought one of those cheap sim/gps trackers off ebay,just waiting for it to arrive, iv'e also got a wheel clamp + a steering wheel lock/bar.
What devices do you have to prevent your van being stolen ?.

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
image.jpg

That's my Motorhome and my house, what you can't see is the piece of fishing line going from the van through the window and I tie it to my wife's toe every night, gives me a bit of an early warning(y)

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Hardened steel chain or cable similar to those used by VOSA through the front or rear wheels and around the suspension. Having a tag axle I chain the two rear wheels together with a CISA slide bolt combination padlock. Chain ,(plastic covered) and lock are about£200.00 from a good locksmith. You cannot easily crop the hexagonal chains or the locks.

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Im having an alarm and a tracker fitted to my new one which was requested by my insurance company. I would have had alarm fitted but probably not a tracker although I'm pleased to be having it now. I also have a steering lock and the van is under cctv on my drive . It is also parked so as it would be difficult to get off with out toing and throwing.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Park ours on the drive with the car behind it, only downside is they get two for the price of one as they would need to break in the house to get the keys to move the car however I hide the Motorhome keys somewhere else and the downside to that is they will need to wake the wife up for the keys, she won't like that

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi wizzer 59.
A bit of an early warning for what ?............ LOL !
Tea Bag

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Park ours on the drive with the car behind it, only downside is they get two for the price of one as they would need to break in the house to get the keys to move the car however I hide the Motorhome keys somewhere else and the downside to that is they will need to wake the wife up for the keys, she won't like that
Buy a safe put keys in there.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
What devices do you have to prevent your van being stolen ?.

Would have to turn the van round (a 9 point turn) and a very narrow gate that needs someone to guide you through........ plus the usual alarm and tracking system.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
[With apologies to @ScotJimland and Facebook]

Camouflage.

Broken Link Removed
Not worth nicking if it has that much green gunge on it, hasnt moved for years probably no engine. Therefore go to next one.
Good ploy. I must stop cleaning mine , too much like hard work.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Keys well hidden, two dogs between the the front door and the keys, two vehicles between the motorhome and the road.

Any other precautions worth taking?

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Ours is parked in such a way that it is extremely difficult to get it off the driveway, and certainly not possible in a hurry. Someone in the house will notice it doing a 9 point turn to get it off the driveway :D

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've got one of the little cheap GPS trackers and used it when I had to put our MH in storage for a few months while we had builders in.

It was effective, and could get a signal and GPS fix through the steel roof, which was impressive but it wasn't perfect.

I had to visit it about every three days to change the battery and because I had also set it to report "shock" or movement it would send me a text every time I got in or out of the vehicle, which on the cheap payg sim card I had cost about 40p a time!

I did buy a little power unit for it so it could be wired in but decided a cheap little GPS unit probably had a very cheap lithium battery in it and there was a greater chance of it catching fire while being charged than there was of the MH being stolen!

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
When I decided to have a Tracker fitted I discovered that to be of use, it had to be approved by my insurance company. On further checking there are a limited number of suitable trackers that are approved and they MUST be fitted by the recognised fitter. It does all sound like a job for the boys but had it done anyhow.

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
I use a mains fed baby alarm system. Listening unit in the van in the driveway, sound unit in the hall. EHU connected inside house harage. If anyone goes inside the van I have every chance of hearing them, if the power is disconnected the sounder squeals like a stuffed pig. Fortunately not had any alarms or false calls yet.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
In Dover at the moment there are a load of Motorhomes and caravans parked up on a site entrance road. These are all Irish Travellers and there are more in another part of the town. The MH are all quite expensive recent models with Irish plates on, I would be very interested to correlate the registration plates on these with the actual registrations in Ireland. I bet that they would not all match to the details. The police would not be that bothered as the hassle they would get from Racial prejudice accusations would be high. It would certainly explain where some of these vans may have gone. Ordinary caravans go the same way and disappear why not move up a notch in value. nice coachbuilts and also PCV amongst them.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I have the best security on mine.. rust..

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
with my vanbitz alarm i have to send a text to it to disarm the immobiliser so even if they steal the keys they wont be able to start it.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I have just had a bang on the back door when I went out I found a 'Gentleman' who said he was just over from Tipperary and had some wonderful bargains for my business in his van (A top range Discovery) Various generators and Chinese chainsaws etc All for bargain prices.??????????????
However when I went out to him he was looking at my Motorhome parked out the back.. He is one of the 'Itinerants' from the group mentioned earlier parked up and I was wondering if he was checking on mine to join them. I think I will be disconnecting the starter motor in a minute, and further disabling it. along with ALL my quads and woodland equipment which luckily he didn't see.
I do not like it when they are around here too much happens. This man told me he had just sold four gennies to a man who was known to me , so I rang and he hadn't this is the story he also told that person..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back