Solar Panels And Gasit(gaslow) (1 Viewer)

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
In a bit of a quandry here...Looking to get my Autocruise Accent fitted with Gasit/Gaslow and also Solar Panels. Located in North Devon and trying to get a feel for realiable suppliers/fitters to get both jobs done at once. Can anyone suggest a reliable motorhome garage in Devon/Somerset that they have used before and would recommend..many thanks in anticiaption

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
In a bit of a quandry here...Looking to get my Autocruise Accent fitted with Gasit/Gaslow and also Solar Panels. Located in North Devon and trying to get a feel for realiable suppliers/fitters to get both jobs done at once. Can anyone suggest a reliable motorhome garage in Devon/Somerset that they have used before and would recommend..many thanks in anticiaption
can you use a screw driver and own a drill a thay are both DIY jobs or come to the fixit meat thare will be lots of help and free advice well a say that loosely might cost you a beer or two
bill

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I agree with Bill that both are relatively easy to do for somebody with a bit of DIY knowledge. I did both mine, after getting a lot of advice from this forum.

However if you do not want to do that Vanbitz in Taunton way (I think) has a very good reputation. Eddie the owner is a regular on this forum. I have not used them (to far away) but I have always found Eddie very helpful.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've just PX'd our Accent (2012 model with the sliding windows) however I believe the rear gas locker is the same size in which case you'll be able to fit either 2 x 6kg refillable bottles or 1 x 11 kg - on ours the door was was just that bit too narrow to get the 11kg in that we had already so rather than pay out another £200+ for 2 new smaller bottles to basically give me 1kg more gas I removed the trim round the edge of the door frame and used a lump hammer on the bottom stand of the bottle to reduce the bottle width by 2mm so I could get it in (the actual gas holding cylinder part is slightly narrower than the base so it didn't have to be 'hit'!). This also means that you can then use the space left to store bits and bobs leaving gaps though to ensure there is still a good escape route through the drop vents in the bottom for any leaking gas.

I fitted the bottle and filler in the locker itself and never had any problems with it when wanting to refil either here or abroad. It isn't a difficult job at all - probably the 'hardest' bit was getting the blooming bottle in! As far as I'm aware both Gaslow and Gas-it bottles are the same size diameter so a 11kg Gas-it bottle should fit and it is not a difficult job to do at all - you'll save yourself quite a bit of dosh in the process too not having to pay the high rates charged for labour!

As for the solar - I'm going to be fitting it to our new Globecar PVC shortly and don't anticipate any problems at all in doing so - it again isn't a difficult job; a lot of the cost for getting it fitted professionally appears to be labour as it takes a bit of time to route the cables through the van, so again doing it yourself could save you quite a few bob.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hiya - welcome to the fun house!

We've just PX'd our Accent (2012 model with the sliding windows) however I believe the rear gas locker is the same size in which case you'll be able to fit either 2 x 6kg refillable bottles or 1 x 11 kg - on ours the door was was just that bit too narrow to get the 11kg in that we had already so rather than pay out another £200+ for 2 new smaller bottles to basically give me 1kg more gas I removed the trim round the edge of the door frame and used a lump hammer on the bottom stand of the bottle to reduce the bottle width by 2mm so I could get it in (the actual gas holding cylinder part is slightly narrower than the base so it didn't have to be 'hit'!). This also means that you can then use the space left to store bits and bobs leaving gaps though to ensure there is still a good escape route through the drop vents in the bottom for any leaking gas.

I fitted the bottle and filler in the locker itself and never had any problems with it when wanting to refil either here or abroad. It isn't a difficult job at all - probably the 'hardest' bit was getting the blooming bottle in! As far as I'm aware both Gaslow and Gas-it bottles are the same size diameter so a 11kg Gas-it bottle should fit and it is not a difficult job to do at all - you'll save yourself quite a bit of dosh in the process too not having to pay the high rates charged for labour!

As for the solar - I'm going to be fitting it to our new Globecar PVC shortly and don't anticipate any problems at all in doing so - it again isn't a difficult job; a lot of the cost for getting it fitted professionally appears to be labour as it takes a bit of time to route the cables through the van, so again doing it yourself could save you quite a few bob.

chasper

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Ilfracombe, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SLS
Exp
Mullacott Caravans have a good reputation, Tom is the main man there. They are a couple of miles outside Ilfracombe on the Mullacott industrial estate. 01271 863066.

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
All the information and help is available on this forum . the hardest part is having the confidence to drill holes in your new van .
As has been already said vanbitz is a respected and trusted fitter in your neck of the woods .

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Vanbitz without a doubt.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Another vote for Vanbitz near Taunton & don't forget to ask for Funster discount (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back