Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
How may times have you visited a show or showroom and as you step into the latest up-t0-date MH with all the gizmos, the 'significant other' says, "Yuk, hate beige curtains!" With that, they turn on heel and just go "Mmm....Mmmm" as you explain the fact that it's got cab air-con, more sockets than you can shake a stick at and a control panel resembling a 747!

Are us lads bothered about the upholstery colour? Nah! Are we bothered that it doesn't have a socket close to a mirror? Noooo!

So I've bin thinking.........

How about a Man's Van? A motorhome that has loads of racking? Surely if the hab' area was full of Dexion, rather than stupid lockers, we could adjust and stack stuff where we wanted it. Want an extra battery? Make a vented cover and just bolt it in. Want a solar controller where you can see it? Want a brace of inverters? Fit them in the rack too and just watch how professional all those blinking lights look. Way to go!

WHY don't vans come with plenty of small circular 'knock-out' roof sections (like a domestic 13amp wall socket box has). When you want to pop a radio aerial or satellite TV dish on top, you simply push out the appropriate roof section for the cable entry or gland. Ezee!

Turning now to the interior, how's about front to rear, surface mounted trunking eh? No more trying to fish cables for an additional socket, or for that retro-fit reversing camera; just bolt the monitor in the cab and run the cable to the back in one hit. Simples!

What about a side trap door for that under-bed storage area. Just jump into bed, chuck your pants through the trap door and close it until the end of the trip!

So how would a girl's van be designed? Granite worktops? Chintzy curtains? Mirrors everywhere? What??? :D

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Mine was designed to get the bike in. Many man points :)

IMG_2122_zps789ec5ac.jpg

IMG_2119_zpsa91a9b28.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
I met halfway with my better half, got one with a garage for all my bits n bobs + chairs & external thingy's( can't be doing with chairs ,barbi, tables etc in living area , so you have to move it every time you stop)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
My dream layout would be one that I can put the kayaks in alongside the walls maybe and with seating / beds over. Or a false floor where they can slide in. Have a few ideas but will need a lottery win so they can be tried out :) A garage for the bikes and other outdoor stuff is a must!

I do like to have cupboard doors that are not see through. Have to have somewhere to store all the essentials, including dirty laundry.

Lots of light is a must.

The van has to be practical but colours are important as well..... the "coffee and cream" look is not for me, I like a van to look warm and comfortable.... country house not loft apartment. Good job we are all unique in our likes and dislikes.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Well Vanessa is every bit becoming a girly van thx to @andy63. Extra sockets being put in at my overcab bed to charge my tablet and watch tv, Solar panel being installed, extra shelving made for clothing, mini ironing board for mum to keep my ironing up to date. For once I will be able to say our MH is everything we need and having a rear brush she proves shes a girl.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Well our PVC , Pug is being built by Ralph. So he's exactly how we both want him to be built. Right down to the very last detail.
He's got lots of man gadgets fitted. ( subtlety )
Plenty storage, and seeing as though we've chosen the fabric and leather. The perfect upholstery.

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
c5e665d7938684de3db557432daa6bda.jpg

Could be the solution.........perhaps the dealer should fix his sign.......Hen Peck Caravans

....just kidding ladies(y)

That must be the ultimate pre-retirement/post-menopause, he AND she solution - can only happen in Germany. He in front, she behind (or visaversa) but an air gap between when necessary.
:mask:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Frankie's face was indeed a picture!

She only sat in the cab as I took her to the airport... she wasn't allowed to see in the back!!!!

JJ :cool:

:cautious::censored::whistle:

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Nothing 'girlie' about me or the van ( I do have a couple of dresses though) disliked the upholstery in the last van, but everything else was fine So? lived together quite happily for 5+ years. New van has a big shower/toilet, I couldn't care less, but John loves it, to me it is mostly wasted storage/living space. Nice big garage for his bike and our gear.
Don't watch soaps, or downton, or strictly, not too bothered with tv at all, but have one which I doubt i could get to work if there was something i wanted to watch, dont take a hairdryer, don't own hair straiteners.
so long as it runs well, has a comfy driving position and has better turning circle than my C3 (citroen noot sinclair) I am happy, the escape had not sure about this one though.
Got to have space for my kindle, tablet and knitting though.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I'm with @scotzsue ..... don't take hair stuff with me except shampoo and a comb. Actually I don't know where my hair dryer is, haven't seen it for several years and never owned straighteners.

Well I'm with you and scotzsue, except I've never owned a hair dryer, I do have a comb but only use it for nasal hair and eyebrows because I don't have any hair on my head. Saves a lot of money on hair products though.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Well I'm with you and scotzsue, except I've never owned a hair dryer, I do have a comb but only use it for nasal hair and eyebrows because I don't have any hair on my head. Saves a lot of money on hair products though.

My husband says the same.... he doesn't even have a comb.

Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Newbie, caravanner since 2008
The only 'girlie' bit in our van is the bed (i.e. Half a dozen cushions that you don't sleep on need removing first).
Husband's revenge is that he controls the rest of the van, including where everything is stored.
Woe betide me if I don't put something back in the correct place!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I am responsible for packing / storing in our van. He says it rattles less when I do it.

Deleted User
Easy solution to get the van you want, don't buy off the shelf, manufactures beige, cream and frilly nets. Either build your own or go to an independent conversion company, nothing girly about our van, in fact even now it's not quite stealth enough. Nige is perfectly happy with the kinda design I like coz it's the same as his :)

Lin

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
John packs the garage so his precious bike is safe, well i help him to get it in. I pack the rest except his clothes, he has most of the wardrobe, same as at home. Put everything back in same place, when we changed the van J listed where things went, still asks where everything is, should be used to it, he couldnt find anything in the other van and we had it for a while. He is the same at home, if it isn't at the front of the cupboard, and sometimes when it is, he cant find anything. Have to say I struggle to find things in the garage at home, but he is a magpie except all his rubbish is not shiny ;)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I notice Ken still gets to do all the driving, or maybe he's just parked it for her? Poor hen-pecked chap, being made to drive around in a bloody blancmange. If he's got any sense he'll run off with Sindy.
... we used to have a Barbie pink Smart car and my hubby loved it! :D
Perky 1.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back