How To Fit Air Horns To 2010 Fiat Ducato 3 Litre Maxi (1 Viewer)

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
I have bought a pair of Fiamm snail air horns to replace the standard Fiat squeeky horn. I am ready to fit them and have read the Fiamm instructions. There lies my first quandry. There are 2 ways to wire the horns dependent on how the Fiat is wired. Does the horn button when pressed complete the circuit to earth or does it complete the circuit to the positive. Depending on the answer the wiring of the relay is different.

Is this a convoluted way of asking if the vehicle is negative earthed or positive? To my mind positive earthing went out before I started driving back in the 1960's! If it is then I know that the Fiat is negative earthed. If their question is not this then I haven't a clue!

Can anyone advise how Fiat do it?

As you can probably tell, sparky stuff is not my forte!

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
negative earth all most all vehicles are negative earth 12v dose not travail to well thrug a chases allays beater conducted through wire.
bill

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Connecting the existing horn wires across terminals 85 and 86 on the relay will work regardless of trigger type.
terminals 87 and 30 on the relay are for the new power feed and earth.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
replace the old horn with the relay .. using the same wire(s) to operate the coil ..

new fused 12v supply to relay n/o contact.. other side of contact to air compressor.. air compressor neg connection to chassis

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
To be honest, i would simply connect directly to the horn as it is with the original.

It may say airhorn on the packaging but its just an electric horn with a hollow 'horn' to amplify it....there is no compressor to pressurise air in the true sense of an airhorn.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
replace the old horn with the relay .. using the same wire(s) to operate the coil ..

new fused 12v supply to relay n/o contact.. other side of contact to air compressor.. air compressor neg connection to chassis
Fiamma SNAIL type horns Jim....there is no compressor, just a regular electric horn with a coiled (snail) amplifying 'horn'

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Quite correct there is no separate compressor, just the 2 snail horns and the relay in the kit.

Many thanks for the great and very quick and helpful advice!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It may be the combined horns draw a relatively high current...hense the included relay.

If that is the case then as Jim says....connect the relay to the horn wires, relay terminals 85 and 86.....

Then run a new fused wire to terminal 30 and from terminal 87 (★) to the horn then earth the other horn terminal.

(★) dont connect to 87a....thats nomally closed causing the horn to be on all the time and will stop only when the horn is pressed

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I have bought a pair of Fiamm snail air horns to replace the standard Fiat squeeky horn. I am ready to fit them and have read the Fiamm instructions. There lies my first quandry. There are 2 ways to wire the horns dependent on how the Fiat is wired. Does the horn button when pressed complete the circuit to earth or does it complete the circuit to the positive. Depending on the answer the wiring of the relay is different.

Is this a convoluted way of asking if the vehicle is negative earthed or positive? To my mind positive earthing went out before I started driving back in the 1960's! If it is then I know that the Fiat is negative earthed. If their question is not this then I haven't a clue!

Can anyone advise how Fiat do it?

As you can probably tell, sparky stuff is not my forte!
Connect it directly to the old horn terminals. A relay is already in the circuit to the existing horn. I know this because today I had cause to print off the horn circuit from the Fiat manual. (My horn died & because I'd been changing things with my cruise control under the speedo I thought I must have disturbed the horn feed. But I hadn't - the horn itself had died).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back