Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We've decided on a MH but it doesn't have an alarm or tracker. We're quite surprised that the alarm isn't standard but obviously it isn't. Anyway, we'd feel happier to have a security system of some sort. Which would you recommend? An alarm or tracker?

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
We've decided on a MH but it doesn't have an alarm or tracker. We're quite surprised that the alarm isn't standard but obviously it isn't. Anyway, we'd feel happier to have a security system of some sort. Which would you recommend? An alarm or tracker?
what do your insurance company ask for,? ours wanted immobiliser as a priority

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

Hi Oriel

I guess they dont fit alarms as standard as fitted in Germany they would not be Thatcham recognised and your insurance company would not accept it, our Flair came from the factory with the standard fit Niesmann alarm with button to put the awning light on, open just the hab door, open all doors etc etc, But it is disabled and a Sigma has been fitted obviously for insurance.

We now have both alarm and tracker, but I would second what Sue has said about checking with the insurance company to see what their minimum requirements might be.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Most if not ALL insurance companies require an alarm a few depending on MH value a tracker.

Upvote 0

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Hi Oriel

I guess they dont fit alarms as standard as fitted in Germany they would not be Thatcham recognised and your insurance company would not accept it, our Flair came from the factory with the standard fit Niesmann alarm with button to put the awning light on, open just the hab door, open all doors etc etc, But it is disabled and a Sigma has been fitted obviously for insurance.

We now have both alarm and tracker, but I would second what Sue has said about checking with the insurance company to see what their minimum requirements might be.

Martin
Martin the current Cobra that N+B fit is Thatcham CAT 1 approved.

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Martin the current Cobra that N+B fit is Thatcham CAT 1 approved.
The unit may be listed on the Thatcham list. For your own peace of mind ensure that you have a valid Thatcham Category One insurance certificate. If you suffered a loss and could produce that you'd be in trouble.

The problem is that each European Country has its own "insurance" lists but different fitment criteria. We struggled to sell Strikeback to a French dealer due to the same issue.

So I always suggest check you've got the certificate.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Michael

I bow to your superior knowledge, I guess specifically for the UK market.

Now I am going to have to go read all my old brochures and spec sheets.

Martin

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
our insurers want either alarm or tracker, I currently still have neither being inherently lazy, I am favouring the Tracker on price and convenience, having said that I have always said that should a car or now MH ever get stolen do I really want it back??

due to the build of our particular MH connecting to the correct wiring seems to be difficult, but maybe the company didn't really want to do it, they seemed to think the dash might need to come out and one of the cupboards, not I fancy letting anybody do that let alone whether they want to or now

Maybe I need a trip to Eddie, provided I don't have to have those monstrous blue LED things, parked next one at a meet, kept us awake :D:D

Upvote 0

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Hi Michael

I bow to your superior knowledge, I guess specifically for the UK market.

Now I am going to have to go read all my old brochures and spec sheets.

Martin
Hi Martin,
Not superior knowledge I am afraid, I originally did not specify the N+B alarm for all the reasons covered in various posts on here however when I was out out at the factory I saw the alarm install and manuals per chance. In it there was reference to Thatcham. So I got model details and approached Cobra in the UK. They sent the email below. I passed this to my insurer and they confirmed that it was satisfactory, and as I have that by email I feel reasonably comfortable. If it turns out that I need to replace it then so be it, if not it has saved me some hassle?

Hi Michael

The alarm G198 is a Thatcham accredited 2-1 alarm system (Thatcham accreditation number: TQA 378).

It has two remote controls, and battery back-up siren.

I have attached the Installation & User Guide for the alarm.

Please let me know if you need any more info.

Best regards

Nigel Grove
Application Engineering

Broken Link Removed

UNIT 5 FIVE SIX FIVE

DUTTONS WAY

SHADSWORTH BUSINESS PARK

BLACKBURN

BB1 2PT

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Thank you very much for your helpful replies.

I'll talk with the insurance company before deciding.

Just to show how new to all of this I am.... can anyone tell me what the Thatcham list is please?

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thatcham is an independent testing lab for insurance related items, alarms, locks, immobilisers and even apparently accident repair times and procedures.

I think.

Martin

Upvote 0

old1

Free Member
Jul 28, 2012
Funster No
We have the whole set alarm/tracker with imobliser, we insure with Adrian Flux & it took our policy from £800 to £300 with only £100 excess on upto 7000 miles per year, 3 months allowed in Europe, so very very happy with that.

Ps,
Every time the wifey accidentally sets the alarm off, the nice man from tracker firm rings me on my mobile for a quick chat, bloody nice bloke. We chat most weeks.

Upvote 0

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
Vanbitz Growler with Tracker (y)

Our insurance does not require any protection whatsoever but piece of mind comes at a price & Vanbitz supply the best END so we forked & are glad we did, the alarm system can be used while sleeping securely & I can check the location of the vehicle 24/7 7 when the alrm goes of the whole estate or campsite knows it also the super bright leds light up the street at night.

I will gladly demonstrate if asked :whistle:

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Thatcham is an independent testing lab

Yes it's sort of independent, its payrolled by these insurance companies.

Insurers Thatcham.png

It was established by the motor insurance industry in 1969 Clearly if the insurance industry can contain or reduce the cost of motor insurance claims, then they are happy bunnies, they are also maintaining safety standards so its a win-win for the insurance company and us.

So, they set a standard of alarm, approve particular alarms as being effective and insist we fit one before they insure us, sounds fair enough. However it's worth remembering that the Thatcham Approved check-mark for alarms is only given to the actual alarm in it's shrink-wrapped cardboard box. While Thatcham do have a non compulsory Approved Installer Scheme, the alarms 'quality assurance' means nothing if it is fitted by a cowboy or a well intentioned but inexperienced fitter.

As for choosing an alarm OR a tracker, that's easy, I'd choose an alarm first, but the cost of trackers has reduced considerably and there is no reason why you should not be armed with both.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
our insurers want either alarm or tracker, I currently still have neither being inherently lazy, I am favouring the Tracker on price and convenience, having said that I have always said that should a car or now MH ever get stolen do I really want it back??
We weren't 'told' we had to have either for our new PVC but wanted an alarm anyway because we park in out of the way places, often on our own, so being able to alarm the van whilst sleeping etc is something that is important to us - it only lowered our premium by £18 so we'll never get back the actual 'cost' of it but that's irrelevant. We haven't got a Tracker and have no intention of getting one at this point.

Upvote 0

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
We haven't got a Tracker and have no intention of getting one at this point.

Tis the beauty of the Vanbitz Tracker a one off payment to fit it & no yearly contract plus I have full controll of it & having looked into the smaller print it turns out to be covered by the biggest tracking company of them all & in the event of a theft all i need to do is call the police get a crime number then call the 24hr number with my crime number & they track it.

its also integrated with the alarm & you can have them installed seperatly if you wish but best done in one

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Thank you all so much!

The folk on this forum are incredibly helpful and knowledgeable.

Thanks again :)

Upvote 0

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Vanbitz Growler with Tracker (y)

Our insurance does not require any protection whatsoever but piece of mind comes at a price & Vanbitz supply the best END so we forked & are glad we did, the alarm system can be used while sleeping securely & I can check the location of the vehicle 24/7 7 when the alrm goes of the whole estate or campsite knows it also the super bright leds light up the street at night.

I will gladly demonstrate if asked :whistle:

I have to agree with RS_rob, I too have had the full Van-Bitz treatment and found out the hard way how effective the "Non-Starter" tracker is, though unlike Rob I will not demonstrate as my hearing is already buggered as it is.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We have an alarm (Autowatch) very good value), don't want a tracker, if the van gets nicked I don't want it back, good excuse to buy a new van. On going cost of trackers is high & you are left high & dry if the company goes bump.

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
if the van gets nicked I don't want it back

Yes I used to think that, but then I thought about it properly. And yes I would want it back.

A post I made here a couple of years ago.

I used to think trackers were a waste of time. Often repeating the old mantra, "I wouldn't want it back if it had been nicked" But then heard about the guy who had his motorhome returned in under two hours after it was stolen from a French supermarket carpark. Imagine that..

"All excited, your off on your holidays. First stop the French supermarket to stock up on wine beer and fancy French biscuits. So with a trolley full of shopping, you come out of the store and stand in shock. your motorhome has gone, stolen! Are you going to see your motorhome ever again? How are you going to get home? Holiday ruined, possessions lost, weeks or months of delay while your insurers haggle over how much they are going to pay you"

Motorhomes are rarely if ever stolen by joy riders, they are stolen to sell on or ship quickly. With a tracker fitted, your motorhome could be located in seconds.In less than a couple of hours you could be putting your beer in the fridge and continuing with your holiday. Motorhomes don't get stolen that often, but if mine does, I'll know where it is.

Upvote 0
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
I'm not a salesman for Vanbitz but we do have the growler and tracker. It was our first van and really wanted to keep it as it cost a bloody fortune.
Best investment was the alarm ect. Expensive maybe. You get what you pay for. We love those blue LEDs lets them know we mean business, move on(y)
Personally I'd rather keep my van than having the hassle. I'm confident that Vanbitz alarm and tracker will do that and am more than happy to promote excellent service and impartial advice

Upvote 0

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I'm not a salesman for Vanbitz but we do have the growler and tracker. It was our first van and really wanted to keep it as it cost a bloody fortune.
Best investment was the alarm ect. Expensive maybe. You get what you pay for. We love those blue LEDs lets them know we mean business, move on(y)
Personally I'd rather keep my van than having the hassle. I'm confident that Vanbitz alarm and tracker will do that and am more than happy to promote excellent service and impartial advice
There does seem to be an issue with alarms and the insurance industry. My new Flair, converted in Germany from an Italian Iveco Daily chassis has, from the doner chassis, a perfectly acceptable Thatcham 2 alarm system. Not much different to all the cars you would buy, N+B offer an upgrade, although they do not describe it as an upgrade, from Thatcham 2 to Thatcham 1 with a Cobra G198. And then the confusion starts. Are Italian car thieves more inept than British ones and therefore somehow their Cat 2 alarm is unacceptable in the UK for the calibre of thief we produce? Is the install of the upgrade to Thatcham 1 with the Cobra system at the N+B factory in Germany somehow OK to eliminate German car thieves but not British ones?
The Cobra upgrade that N+B install is Thatcham approved Cat 1, Thatcham no longer have approved installers, so it is not a case, in my uneducated alarm wise experience, of do they work or not and allow you the protection to be able to return to your MH in the spot you left it, but does your insurer accept the kit and its installation. If they say yes, where is the argument?

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Thatcham Category 1 – electronic alarm and immobiliser
Systems that fall into this class are the cleverest and most complex on the market. A Category 1 alarm will feature perimeter and ignition detection, and will incorporate movement or glass break and tilt sensors. There’ll also be a siren powered by its own battery supply that will sound if your car gets broken into.

Immobilisers are also a requirement to pass Category 1 tests and have to be passively set – that means without any action from the driver – while a minimum of two operating systems or one control unit used for normal operation must be isolated.

Thatcham Category 2 – electronic immobiliser
Alarms are not a requirement to be awarded Category 2 Thatcham security status. However, an immobiliser is.

Just like Category 1 systems, a Category 2 device has to isolate at least two circuits or systems, or one vehicle control unit that’s required for the car to run properly. Again, it has to be passively set.

Thatcham Category 2/1 – electronic alarm upgrade
This Category is achieved if upgrade work is carried out on a Category 2 vehicle.

As long as the car has Category 2 security status, adding an alarm with the above facets from Category 1, the car can be upgraded to group 2/1, potentially lowering your vehicle insurance premiums.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Or the other way of looking at it is an alarm sounds and might prevent motorhome from being stolen, Tracker, well what good is it as the motorhome has already been taken.

A friend of mine had his caravan stolen, being fitted with a tracker that he could link to he located the the caravan, phoned the police and insurance company, neither police of the insurance company were interested when he told them he could actually see his caravan but it was on a gypsy campsite.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back