Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Our old Hymer is fitted with a terrible JVC cab wireless. It's so old, that Jimmy Young is still presenting Radio 2......one of the only three channels it receives. Also, as soon as the sat nav is plugged in, we get the SLUSH washing machine channel. We have a windscreen powered aerial, (because of the overhanging luton), but even when the old 'rubber duck' aerial was on the roof, (cable lovingly threaded through a large hole bored into the side), it was crap.
And so, we have an old style radio 'slot' in the dash, which sort of limits things a bit, but any advice on a good but not overpriced radio would be most appreciated. :)(y)

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I've ordered one of these due to our cab radio being unable or unwilling to pick up radio channels, despite testing with different temporary aerial..

Broken Link Removed

I don't know what dash you have, they do different fascia/blanking plates etc

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Like most things in life Tootes, don't buy to cheap, you can get them with Bluetooth, USB, Dab and a whole host of other trickery, as long as you buy one of the well known makes you should be fine(y)

Snap Rowley beat me to it:doh::D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Like most things in life Tootes, don't buy to cheap, you can get them with Bluetooth, USB, Dab and a whole host of other trickery, as long as you buy one of the well known makes you should be fine(y)
Can you get one that plays radio channels?? :(
I don't know what dash you have, they do different fascia/blanking plates etc
The same as the Halfords one you have illustrated.....Old school Ducato dash. (y)

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Our old Hymer is fitted with a terrible JVC cab wireless. It's so old, that Jimmy Young is still presenting Radio 2......one of the only three channels it receives. Also, as soon as the sat nav is plugged in, we get the SLUSH washing machine channel. We have a windscreen powered aerial, (because of the overhanging luton), but even when the old 'rubber duck' aerial was on the roof, (cable lovingly threaded through a large hole bored into the side), it was crap.
And so, we have an old style radio 'slot' in the dash, which sort of limits things a bit, but any advice on a good but not overpriced radio would be most appreciated. :)(y)
Does it need to have a Gramaphone !

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Our old Hymer is fitted with a terrible JVC cab wireless.
Wireless? Last time I heard that word, my mum was washing clothes in her twin tub washing machine
I'd suggest a trip to Halfords as you can often try before you buy , plus they'll fit your new radio if you want
They've normally got something on 'offer' so you shouldn't need to spend s lot

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Our 8 track caught fire last year. :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: Cost me £14.00 in 1974. Nothing lasts these days. :(
I still have an 8 track....... Crikey, need to look it up.
Brand new too, made by Philips I think.
Those were the days, eh ?

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I have a couple of these in the workshops Dave: http://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-dr1403t-dab-radio-turquoise/112-3899.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=112-3899

For P'boro our camper was non functioning so we had to borrow one, it had a non working radio so I took one of these out of the workshop and amazingly it performed faultlessly sitting on top of the dash all the way from P'boro to Telford, I didn't even have the aerial fully extended.

D.
Dave, tried one, (a DAB), but as soon as the sat nav powers up, that goes to SLUSH as well.........And it isn't even plugged in to the 12volt.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
One of these should do
image.jpg

And you'll need some speakers too

image.jpg

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
To be honest Robert, Ali is scared stiff of 8 tracks since the last one caught fire...........I know, it could have happened to our Redifusion telly, but hey, women........:notworthy:
You obviously haven't been changing the valves often enough

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
You obviously haven't been changing the valves often enough
They can be difficult to get, but hey, the picture is so bright and crisp, wouldn't think of changing it.......Had to buy a silly box for it a few years ago though. :(

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
I know NOTHING about Radios,but, on the plastic cab Fodens, you had to have a "Ground Plane ??" for the CB,so the CB electramajician,"Chunky "near Wirksworth, used to recommend a metal plate inside to "Ground Plane/earth ???" it to. Perhaps this may work ,if not,provided your "Radio" will also pick up...Ray Moore and Sarah'ra Kennedy aka Bunty Bagshaw LOL" at Sparrows,i will be only to pleased to take it off your hands,They kept me amused/laughing my socks off,early doors,there is me,laughing away in the cab and "Plebs ? LOL" waiting at bus stops thinking i hjad lost the plot....... I had,i was in another world with those two sharing my world,happy days.
Ray Moore,RIP,could not drive i was lead to believe,so used the train to get back to the Pool.(Liver) and wouild often say about traffic on the M1." There i was with a pint of old and filthy ,straight out of the canal and a fistfull of wet change,rattling along,looking at you lot,nose to tail in a traffic jam ! LOL". His wife was,"Management ". Bunty Bagshaw was always being,"Cut up" by White van man in her VW,early doors,the van always had a pair of dirty Y'fronts hanging off the rear of a ladder on the roof rack. Go back to those days ? Like a shot !
Tea Bag Full of Red Biddy............ Again.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
It's not your radio, it's the aerial that's crap in these vans

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun