I Have No Idea What I Need...please Help (1 Viewer)

J&S

Free Member
May 8, 2015
Hurworth on Tees, Darlington
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Wentworth
Exp
Since 1982
Newbie's to Portugal and only once to Spain in our MH, Majestic 175 .... we are planning to stay for the winter in southern Portugal in 2015/16... Please help....

My Wife wants to be able to watch her Eastender's and Holby City BBC 1 TV programs while we are there or we aren't going she says .... !!!:(:groan:

Only have a UK type TV and Antenna at the moment ...Do I need a big dish and receiver etc. (loads of dosh) or is there another way.... all I want is a bit of sun & piece and quiet ..... oh and a drop of vino too.... hi hi

Many Thanks from John & Sylvia.... Hurworth, Co Durham

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Message to John
Hi John you wont get it right down south without a gert big dish that will cost you a pretty penny.

Message to Sylvia
Hi Sylvia, the setup you have now will work a treat; you'll get all the soaps no problem, Get yourself down there girl (y)

Last edited:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Newbie's to Portugal and only once to Spain in our MH, Majestic 175 .... we are planning to stay for the winter in southern Portugal in 2015/16... Please help....

My Wife wants to be able to watch her Eastender's and Holby City BBC 1 TV programs while we are there or we aren't going she says .... !!!:(:groan:

Only have a UK type TV and Antenna at the moment ...Do I need a big dish and receiver etc. (loads of dosh) or is there another way.... all I want is a bit of sun & piece and quiet ..... oh and a drop of vino too.... hi hi

Many Thanks from John & Sylvia.... Hurworth, Co Durham
You're a wee bitty early to get a response. The Portugal squad and hangovers won't be out their scratchers yet. But wait an hour or two and they'll be along.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Hi John & Sylvia and welcome from down on the south coast :welc:

OP
OP
J&S

J&S

Free Member
May 8, 2015
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Wentworth
Exp
Since 1982
Hi and thanks for all the response so far.... Jim sorry mate but you have us confused, you say I wont get it but Sylvia will ???? have we missed the point?

Hi John you wont get it right down south without a gert big dish that will cost you a pretty penny.

Message to Silvia

Hi Silvia, the setup you have now will work a treat; you'll get all the soaps no problem, Get yourself down there girl (y)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Hi and thanks for all the response so far.... Jim sorry mate but you have us confused, you say I wont get it but Sylvia will ???? have we missed the point?
[I see Jim's off-line at the moment, so to save you worrying.....]
Jim's mission is to get everybody out there and having FUN - even if it means telling a few tongue-in-cheek porkies to make everybody happy!!! :D

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If you get kodi app on your tablet you can get anything in the world, even all premiership games as they happen, then with chromecast you can beam it to your tele, works in Portugal , my mate has a villa there and uses nothing else.

OP
OP
J&S

J&S

Free Member
May 8, 2015
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Wentworth
Exp
Since 1982
:beerchug:what he don't know CWH is just how good Sylvia's left hook is !!!

oh so its no TV in Portugal... what about the internet can you get it via that?:beerchug: the TV I mean not the vino:wine:

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
With the advances in medicine and good therapy... help is but a phone call away !
LOL .... Get down there, soon forget about all that once you're out there for a while.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
In answer to your original question - 'No idea what I need?'

This should do the trick :ROFLMAO:

Broken Link Removed

Reactions: CWH
OP
OP
J&S

J&S

Free Member
May 8, 2015
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Wentworth
Exp
Since 1982
:crying:
If you get kodi app on your tablet you can get anything in the world, even all premiership games as they happen, then with chromecast you can beam it to your tele, works in Portugal , my mate has a villa there and uses nothing else.

Oh and I was thinking it was all going to be simple like pouring a second glass.... lol

Thanks guys... mite just pitch a tent near Clacton on Sea for the winter...:crying:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Let me know when you have my flight booked and some cold cider in the fridge..
Soon be over... :)
Have screwdriver, can travel...

DSC00771.JPG

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
:crying:

Oh and I was thinking it was all going to be simple like pouring a second glass.... lol

Thanks guys... mite just pitch a tent near Clacton on Sea for the winter...:crying:
You give up too easily my friend. We have been down in Portugal for nearly two months getting BBC and ITV. Where there is a will there is a way...... Or actually where there is a @seanoo there's a way.

We have 85cm dish and a box of magic purchased from Sean, it produces -

BBC1,2,3 & 4
ITV London
C4
Film4
BBC News
CBBC - Thats Colin's favourite!!
And a few others we don't bother with.

I am sure if you send him a message on here he will get back to you letting you know what you need and more importantly the cost.

P.s Welcome by the way.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
:beerchug:

oh so its no TV in Portugal... what about the internet can you get it via that?:beerchug: the TV I mean not the vino:wine:

We used a MEO 'sim only deal no contract' which costs €1 per hour of unlimited download. The 4g and 3G coverage is usually superior to the UK, or so we found. So s cheap way would perhaps be to stream live on to a pad or laptop, either linked to your TV with a HDMI cable or just watch it on your gadget of choice.

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
YOu can get All BBC channels, ITV1, C4 and Film4+1 in most of Europe, on a small dish.
It involves having your dish aligned to intelsat 907 at 27.5 west, and a satellite receiver (about 100-150euros) that can receive the signals, and the ability to hack - so read illegally access - into encrypted feeds that are not for public use (hence their encryption as the system is a back up service for the UK freeview system).
The system relies on BISS encryption, and the codes for this system change about every 4 months, but new codes are usually available within hours of the change.

But if you want to use the official satellites at 28 east to receive tha main channels in Portugal then you will be needing at least a 2,m dish.
Most of the sky pay channels should be available to you on a smaller dish.

And if you did have to go for a big dish, then avoid the fortecstar panel dishes (as in the picture above), as their 2.4m dish performs about the same as a solid 1.4m dish, as they are that poorly constructed...

Of the internet route - filmon.com....have all the main uk tv channels. ok quality is not great, but it is free.
The same goes for kodi / xbmc, free stream, but quality can be poor... and you can spend half a football match looking for a good decent stream...

Reactions: Jim

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
buy yourself a Ebay 'digital ' SKY set top box ( HDMI).....see it working if you can, look for hiring a large dish from a local dish provider, this is what most do when we stay for three months in Spain

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
[QUOTE="Satandpcguy, post: 1414376, member: 2936"

And if you did have to go for a big dish, then avoid the fortecstar panel dishes (as in the picture above), as their 2.4m dish performs about the same as a solid 1.4m dish, as they are that poorly constructed...

..[/QUOTE]

OI. !!!!! Dont slag off my install.... It's all I could get at the time, Channel master were out of stock and those footballers have more cash than sense... !!!!! and no patience... :)

Did the job and filled my wallet ..

:rofl::rofl:

ps. Yes they were crap..... :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back