Sep 26, 2012
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Guys
Can you help me. Later on this year I was going to send some time in Europe but the problem I have is gas bottles.
I know you can buy bottles over there and buy a new regulator, but the problem is they mainly supply 13kg bottles of propane but my gas cabinet is only big enough for 2 x 6kg calor gas bottles.

I have looked at the companies Butagaz, Antargaz, Primagaz but if I do get a gas bottle I can get two but would have to keep one in the garage in the rear.
Are gas bottles easy to obtain?

If I can only get Butane will my oven and fridge still work correctly?
What about Spain thats going to present a whole lot of other problems too!!

I don't want to go down the autogas gaslow lpg route, I want to stick with the bottles.

Any help would be appreciated!!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Are gas bottles easy to obtain?

If I can only get Butane will my oven and fridge still work correctly?
What about Spain thats going to present a whole lot of other problems too!!

Q1 yes.. easy in France.. buy at most garages and supermarkets

Q2 yes, butane/propane.. doesn't matter unless in winter when butane stops gassing off at about +4c

Q3. yes. Spain has different bottles and regulators.. but not so easy to obtain as France as you are supposed to have an address in Spain to register the bottle.. but can be found at boot sales, on campsites (left by other Brits) .. usually the campsite office can help out

or use Campingaz.. available everywhere in Europe.. useful as a backup.. but expensive to use daily.

You have excluded a refillable bottle.. but it may well work out cheaper in the long run and certainly a lot less hassle abroad .. a 6kg Gasit kit for about £160

So one 6kg refillable and one 6kg exchange bottle.. best of both

Last edited:
OP
OP
gazza280

gazza280

Free Member
Sep 26, 2012
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Q1 yes.. easy in France.. buy at most garages and supermarkets

Q2 yes, butane/propane.. doesn't matter unless in winter when butane stops gassing off at about +4c

Q3. yes. Spain has different bottles and regulators.. but not so easy to obtain as France as you are supposed to have an address in Spain to register the bottle.. but can be found at boot sales, on campsites (left by other Brits) .. usually the campsite office can help out

or use Campingaz.. available everywhere in Europe.. useful as a backup.. but expensive to use daily.

You have excluded a refillable bottle.. but it may well work out cheaper in the long run and certainly a lot less hassle abroad .. a 6kg Gasit kit for about £160

So one 6kg refillable and one 6kg exchange bottle.. best of both
Thanks Jim thats really helpful(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I managed to buy a French lightweight 'Le Cube' gas bottle with regulator off eBay. There are two listings at present. Here is one, great if you are near Tavistock:
Broken Link Removed

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
We use CampingGaz. Bit more expensive to buy in the UK, but worth it when in France as no headaches trying to get a refill :)

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
just spoke with a Mh gas fitter who tell me that he can install another LPG refillable bottle with connectors in my MH, he will need to make a hole in the locker door for the re-filling, I forgot to ask him is it can I get it filled in Spain anyone know?, he did say he has done it many times for people who travel long term to France as I intend to go to Spain you do reckon I will be ok for my refills?

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
I hope I'm not hijacking the thread but I note the reference to buying a new regulator for a French gas bottle.
I am a little confused as to how the new regulator will connect to the Bailey 620 in the gas cupboard. Is this something one can do oneself or does a fitter need to do it?

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
i do need a answer to my question, start a new thread Ingwe

just spoke with a Mh gas fitter who tell me that he can install another LPG refillable bottle with connectors in my MH, he will need to make a hole in the locker door for the re-filling, I forgot to ask him is it can I get it filled in Spain anyone know?, he did say he has done it many times for people who travel long term to France as I intend to go to Spain you do reckon I will be ok for my refills?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes france spain and portugal in fact all eu as fill up at some garages . where they are is left to the various lists going round try a google for autogas or gpl in europe .

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
i do need a answer to my question, start a new thread Ingwe

Filling up in Spain shouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't advise getting the filling point fitted to the door.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
he will need to make a hole in the locker door for the re-filling,

not advisable.. opening and closing the door can damage the hose.. Gaaslow do not recommend doing this..

better to have the filling point fitted in the skirt .

see instructions.. as a gas fitter he should be aware of the this

Link Removed

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Has this thread reincarnated itself?