Mar 29, 2015
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Foster&Day Mercedes 208D
Exp
Since October 2013
How Do Funsters!
After debating over what to do with Mertle over the last month or so, we have decided to take the plunge and get her brought up to date with some new furnishings etc. The only thing the van has going against it, is her age, but the fact that shes in fantastic condition for 25 and still running strong, it seems more logical to restore/recondition over replace.

So iv'e decided to keep a little diary of progress for anyone that's interested. Watch this space! :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Crispydoodle

Crispydoodle

Free Member
Mar 29, 2015
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Foster&Day Mercedes 208D
Exp
Since October 2013
After a setback right from the beginning, Mertle decided to have an emotional moment, and chew up her Vacuum Pump, that resulted in a failure of the power brakes and the ability to shut the ignition off!! (These old Dervs require a vacuum line in order to cut off the fuel supply). So had to start off with a tedious task of stripping everything out before starting a make over. As you can see pump was a bit fubared!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1428937914451.jpg
    FB_IMG_1428937914451.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 159
OP
OP
Crispydoodle

Crispydoodle

Free Member
Mar 29, 2015
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Foster&Day Mercedes 208D
Exp
Since October 2013
Back on track now with a replacement boiler. Unfortunately The Carver 2 boiler had 2 leaks, this may have been down to frost damage, this in turn also damaged the Burner Module. So out with the old and in with the new!
DSC_0419.JPG
The boiler is located under the right hand side sofa

DSC_0421.JPG

Burner outlet with cover removed

DSC_0420.JPG

The Carver 2 controller has to be replaced with the new replacement Henry controller as the two arnt compatable between them

DSC_0424.JPG

DSC_0423.JPG

DSC_0426.JPG

Out with the old....

DSC_0425.JPG

DSC_0432.JPG

DSC_0434.JPG

DSC_0435.JPG

In with the new!

OP
OP
Crispydoodle

Crispydoodle

Free Member
Mar 29, 2015
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Foster&Day Mercedes 208D
Exp
Since October 2013
DSC_0428.JPG

DSC_0429.JPG

DSC_0430.JPG

DSC_0431.JPG

As the 4 pin connector was damaged at the boiler end, and the loom couldnt be changed due to the location of the controller, a joint needed to be made. I used bullet crimps and sockets to enable ease of removal, and the new Henry boilers come with a 3 pin kettle style lead, so a 20amp joint box was utilised to keep everything neat and tidy.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Looking good ! (y)
Those hub caps of yours are nice. Fetch good money & hard to get hold of decent ones these days.

OP
OP
Crispydoodle

Crispydoodle

Free Member
Mar 29, 2015
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Foster&Day Mercedes 208D
Exp
Since October 2013
Looking good ! (y)
Those hub caps of yours are nice. Fetch good money & hard to get hold of decent ones these days.

Thanks Gus, we really do like them, however as you say, there pretty rare to find now, and because of that were thinking of taking them off, Nearly lost one last month! Its a shame really, as there pretty retro, and alot of them are snapped up super quick by Mercedes enthusiasts to put on pre 80 mercs. And if they do come up half the time there the wrong colour!

CandC

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 22, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Old School :D
Exp
Used to go with the olds! Now I have one of my own :)
Good luck with the makeover, it looks like you're doing a great job so far! I've "watched" this thread to help inspire me and keep my motivation up for Charlotte's makeover:)

Keep up the good work!

OP
OP
Crispydoodle

Crispydoodle

Free Member
Mar 29, 2015
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Foster&Day Mercedes 208D
Exp
Since October 2013
Had a bit of a leisurely day today, so todays mods wernt quite so taxing. Todays jobs, Lighting!
DSC_0436.JPG

Out with the old...

DSC_0437.JPG

In with the new. These are the later LED technology so less of a strain on the leisure batteries when theres no hookup.

DSC_0439.JPG

DSC_0438.JPG

Hmmm Tarnished Brass, ready for the bin i feel!

DSC_0440.JPG

Chrome replacements, again direct fit so no modification required. These are also fitted with Bayonet Cap LED lamps to lower consumption and reduce heat build up.

DSC_0451.JPG

Fogot to take a before pic of the awning light. It was the old style Britax circular fixture with a 10 watt Feston lamp, this had discoloured quite badly, so it had to make way for this LED slimline Awning Light. Well impressed with the quality of this light fixture, would highly recommend it to anyone wanting to upgrade there's. Manufactured by Labcraft, part number ASTRO LL2. Bit steep for around ÂŁ30, but you get what you pay for! And there made in the UK!

DSC_0452.JPG

These were the interior Fixtures, again by Labcraft, however they do look a bit commercial inside. We did want to put in downlighters, but the previous owner had used builders adhesive to fit them, with left marks on the ceiling lining.

DSC_0454.JPG

DSC_0453.JPG

So we opted for these. As the other ones wernt very bright, we opted for these twin units manufactured by Maypole. We then relamped them using Sylvania 8 Watt Warm White Fluorescent Tubes. These give alot more of a warm yellow output, unlike the standard White Lamps they come with. Sometimes they come with Cool White Tubes, which give off a bluey effect, similar to the Reading Lamps shown earlier.

CandC

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 22, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
Great work on the lighting.... that's ANOTHER job on my growing to do list!! I particularly like the reading lamps btw.... where did you get those from please?

OP
OP
Crispydoodle

Crispydoodle

Free Member
Mar 29, 2015
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Foster&Day Mercedes 208D
Exp
Since October 2013
Great work on the lighting.... that's ANOTHER job on my growing to do list!! I particularly like the reading lamps btw.... where did you get those from please?
Thanks CandC
Its suprising how little things can make such a big difference.
The Fittings are from here-
Broken Link Removed

The Lamps were from here-
Broken Link Removed

Chris

CandC

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 22, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
Thanks CandC
Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Chris
That's great, thank you Chris.

Colin

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Good interesting thread keep it coming
clear.png

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Thanks CandC
Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Chris
Hi Chris nice job (y)---if you need any more of those lights I have both brushed steel and gold ÂŁ4.50 each ;)
terry

OP
OP
Crispydoodle

Crispydoodle

Free Member
Mar 29, 2015
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Foster&Day Mercedes 208D
Exp
Since October 2013
Hi Chris nice job (y)---if you need any more of those lights I have both brushed steel and gold ÂŁ4.50 each ;)
terry
Thanks Terry! I was beginning to think you couldnt get them anymore, Most the Camping Shops sell tear drop shaped ones or round ones now. :rolleyes:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I think I have around 12 of each and know where I can get a few hundred ;):):DNo doubt at a discount/I Like the led bulbs for them
terry

OP
OP
Crispydoodle

Crispydoodle

Free Member
Mar 29, 2015
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Foster&Day Mercedes 208D
Exp
Since October 2013
I think I have around 12 of each and know where I can get a few hundred ;):):DNo doubt at a discount/I Like the led bulbs for them
terry
Ahhh great stuff. Yes the LED Bulbs are a nice touch, there not as bright as the standard BA15 Lamps, but saying that, they dont really need to be. My ones are above the bunk in the top Luton, so it did used to get a bit warm with them on :LOL::LOL:

OP
OP
Crispydoodle

Crispydoodle

Free Member
Mar 29, 2015
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Foster&Day Mercedes 208D
Exp
Since October 2013
This might need a little further investigation. Dont suppose anyone might know what these 2 relays could be for....Help! Lol
DSC_0473.JPG

DSC_0474.JPG

DSC_0475.JPG

OP
OP
Crispydoodle

Crispydoodle

Free Member
Mar 29, 2015
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Foster&Day Mercedes 208D
Exp
Since October 2013
It has yes, but only one socket, not twin? One relay has a line direct to the leisure battery terminal, the other has one going to that burnt fuse carrier. Both terminal 87 on the relays.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Alan thinks they are to charge your leisure battery and run the fridge on 12V when you are on the move. He said you would be wise to have an auto electrician look at it and work out why you have a melted wire and a burnt out fuse carrier. Hope the above helps.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back