Autogas 2000 Tank Filling Problem (1 Viewer)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just tried to fill the gas tank near Almeria in Spain. The tank is about one third full but we could only get 30 cents worth in! Tried everything and much head scratching by me and the garage guy.

Unfortunately, this problem may have arisen before we left the UK. Although the tank was three quarters full I went to fill up completely but could only manage about a seven eighths full tank.

A bit of Googling suggests the float which prevents over-filling may be stuck and a carefully placed tap with a hammer may cure it.

It is also possible the system was trying to stop me killing myself as we realised later the 'fridge was still running on gas. Oops. Does it know you are drawing gas and therefore have a naked flame and it won't let you refill?

Just to recap, it is an Autogas 2000 Caratank built in system with an external filler.

I will ring the company on Monday but any advice before then would be most welcome.

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
Try taking tank out and turning upside down a few times to make the float flap about and hopefully loosen it
I wondered why they put a 2m filler hose on my gaslow till I realised I can take the tanks out without disconnection

Reactions: DBK
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
No - it doesn't know whether gas is being drawn or not. A stuck cut-off valve appears to fit the symptoms - they are a simple mechanical device no doubt prone to the same faults as any other simple mechanical device. Giving the tank (or the whole vehicle) a good shake might help temporarily.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
No - it doesn't know whether gas is being drawn or not. A stuck cut-off valve appears to fit the symptoms - they are a simple mechanical device no doubt prone to the same faults as any other simple mechanical device. Giving the tank (or the whole vehicle) a good shake might help temporarily.
If you read my post on the Two Go to Spain thread today it would be hard to imagine giving the tank more of a shaking than what it went through today!

I suspect the fault started in the UK when I wasn't able to completely fill it then.

A well aimed tap with a hammer might work otherwise we will be buying a bottle and regulator and will live off the gas BBQ and leave what gas we have left to run the fridge on Aires.

Many thanks for everyone's replies.

Any other suggestions will be gratefully received.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I had a similar problem it was the feed hose broken down and a bit of the lining was stuck in the system taking the hose off and checking the inlet valves may be there is something jammed in the mane feed to the tank
EDIT
My system is gaslow but the obstruction stopped me filling up might be a similar problem
bill

Last edited:
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Do Autogas have a local dealer/fitter?
Best of luck with getting it fixed

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I had a similar problem it was the feed hose broken down and a bit of the lining was stuck in the system taking the hose off and checking the inlet valves may be there is something jammed in the mane feed to the tank
EDIT
My system is gaslow but the obstruction stopped me filling up might be a similar problem
bill
I'll try and climb underneath and see what I can see. If there are any visible valves I'll give them a gentle tap.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
When I had problems in Spain a few years ago (trauma regulator :() while waiting for a new non trauma to be flown over, visited local Chinese imporioum and got a single gas canister cooker...did the trick. Carry it now just in case. Prefer a twin bottle system in van..at least you have half a chance and can easily be moved to next van. Hope you get sorted as I guess your not staying on sites so more of an issue! Good luck!:)

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
When I had problems in Spain a few years ago (trauma regulator :() while waiting for a new non trauma to be flown over, visited local Chinese imporioum and got a single gas canister cooker...did the trick. Carry it now just in case. Prefer a twin bottle system in van..at least you have half a chance and can easily be moved to next van. Hope you get sorted as I guess your not staying on sites so more of an issue! Good luck!:)
Yes, the fall back position is to buy a camping stove of some sort.

Theoretically, I could buy a bottle and regulator and use the external gas BBQ point to feed the gas in. I'll give that some thought too.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Crawled underneath and took the cover off the side of the tank. Underneath this is the valve to shut off the supply to the motorhome, what I took to be a safety valve and the inlet from the external filler connection. It looks about half inch bore. I gave everything a tap but nothing obvious happened. No "click" or "pfssst" of gas flowing. If it is the inlet valve which is stuck the pipe from the external filler to the valve should be full of liquid gas and if the float was dislodged I might have heard something.

I'll ring them tomorrow but it sounds like a Plan B is necessary!

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
think you should contact technical services the Manchester screw driver has it's limits
bill

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
It might be a silly question but have you removed the gauge, given it a 'tap' and replaced it? If the same as mine the gauge is 'magnetically linked' to the float. I had a similar situation in not being able to add much gas and removed the gauge, temporarily fitting a new gauge courtesy of a garage and then re-fitting the original guage. The original gauge was under-reading and the tank was nearly full and this was the reason I could not add more. My gauge is secured by a single set screw and easilly removed. Hope you get to the bottom of the problem.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It might be a silly question but have you removed the gauge, given it a 'tap' and replaced it? If the same as mine the gauge is 'magnetically linked' to the float. I had a similar situation in not being able to add much gas and removed the gauge, temporarily fitting a new gauge courtesy of a garage and then re-fitting the original guage. The original gauge was under-reading and the tank was nearly full and this was the reason I could not add more. My gauge is secured by a single set screw and easilly removed. Hope you get to the bottom of the problem.
We have been using the gas for three weeks and seen the gauge slowly dropping so it can't be full. Our previous experience has been a tank will last a good six weeks so given it wasn't quite full when we started, the current level, between half and quarter full, sounds about right. We should have got around 8 litres in but it looks completely blocked.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
there is a place up the coast and a bit inland on the way in to vera . they do lots caravan and m,home work. inland from garrucha.
i havent used them . but lots do in the winter .
might be they can help you.
unfortunately cant remember their name or tel number .
heard good reports of them .

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We will be going that way so if we can find them they might be the answer.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Autocaravan Lorca work on motorhomes, sell lpg and also offer their 'aire' free for overnight parking.
37.612122,-1.760044
www.caravanaslorca.es

A suitable stopover if you are heading North.

Many thanks - we are heading for Aguilas and they are next door. Perfect.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Easy to find. About 200 metres off the A7. Not sure what exit but I will find that if you need to know.
No problem, I should be able to find them, your coords and their website will be enough. Many thanks again!

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Just a though, have you successfully filled using the Spanish adapter? Could be worth looking at that. See if you can borrow one or better see if someone else is successful with it.

Dick

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
From Aguilas up to Lorca & onto A7 going towards Andalucia.Can't remember the exit number as they changed them all last year, but it is the exit for the
" Saprelorca Poligono" (industrial estate.) at roundabout at bottom of exit turn right, 50m to next roundabout & turn right again,
Caravanas Lorca is first on right & watch the ramp up the kerb. They've painted it yellow so you can see it- Lad is extremely helpful in their but if you need a hand I'll pm you my mobile number .

If I'm guessing correctly the Vera one is "Hispavan" on the Antas poligono. You can see it from motorway.
Leo the boss is very helpful & Julian the engineer also.

http://hispavan.com/index.php/home

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
@DevonBeekeeper I've Just realised that you are probably coming from Andalucia direction & not Up from Águilas. It is still the "Saprelorca poligono" but it will be off at exit , which is a long way back & for the petrol station first which you will see on right then down to roundabout . Go round & take 3rd exit under motorway to roundabout other side & go straight on here & 50m to next roundabout & turn right & they are immediately on the right.Just pm'd mobile number.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just a though, have you successfully filled using the Spanish adapter? Could be worth looking at that. See if you can borrow one or better see if someone else is successful with it.

Dick
I had my own adaptor but the guy at the garage went and rummaged around and brought out his own - but unfortunately the same result. Gas won't go in.
Looks like an internal problem.

Sep 9, 2011
Worcester
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Many thanks - we are heading for Aguilas and they are next door. Perfect.

Hi Devon Beekeeper are you going back to Quintabella if so say hello to Terry and Johnathan for me Albies mate if you get stuck he will help you out Johnathan that is john

Deleted User
Hi I'm sure you are aware, but just in case, you can only fill these type of gas tanks to a max 80% ish, not full, it's for safety reasons. Just you mentioned try to fill it, might have caused the problem?

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Probably a silly suggestion but have you tried a different lpg supplier in case the first one was out of gas or had a faulty pump?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back