Free Member
Mar 5, 2015
Penrith
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 635
Exp
Since 2015
Hi all can I ask which club most people join ? is it Caravan Club or motor caravan club ,caravan and camping club
Thanks

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
CC and CCC. And Britstops.
Likely to join MCC as well, based on FUN recommendations.
The fees not only save you money when camping, but also get rather lost in the grand scheme of motorhoming. If you want to use sites, seems to me that not joining is false economy.

Just been away for 24 nights, used private, BritStop, CC, CCC, CL, CS & Camping in the Forest sites. Variety is the spice.....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I had the same dilemma.
I've joined Caravan Club purely because it has 2500 CL's as opposed to CC&C's 1800
I bought the BritStops book because I like the idea.
I've also joined Historic Houses Association (thanks to a recommendation on here) as it has more properties than NT (and certainly more locally).
So, that'll do for one year, can switcheroo next year if I want.
Also, this Caravan Club got 25% discount on HHA & 10% on Insurance so its all good
(y)

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We are in them all but CC is good for the ferry from Hull as @Hotelman points out, MCC is also good for weekend meets at short notice as you dont need to book many of their events so good for people like us that cant make a plan.

Upvote 0

Graham and Jane

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2014
Grangemouth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2007
we are members of cc and ccc. favour cc as I like they way they do things.
Great selection of sites and cls and have always found ferry/tunnel prices cheaper with caravan club

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Abandoned the CC in favour of Britstops. CC = £40+ a caharge per night and in effect Britstops is half the price and suits our travels better. Anyhow I like Steve's sweets better.

Upvote 0

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
Been member of CC for 35 years, don't ask me why, they are dear for insurance and breakdown service, cannot always stay at there sites because someone has booked in and does not turn up, charge more for Int. camping Carnet, their magazine is not really worth reading, they appear to be a hard nosed business rather than a members club, they take too long to answer the phone, will say their staff are helpful.
But have joined for another year as they might be useful sometime.
Etap

Upvote 0

Ethle the wondervan

Free Member
Mar 13, 2015
Peak District
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
One year
None.
I wouldn't join any club that would accept me as a member.
There is no need to be restricted to 'club' sites.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
None.
I wouldn't join any club
that would accept me as a member.
no need to be restricted to 'club' sites.

Membership of any club, including MotorhomeFun which you have joined, doesn't stop you from using other sites ..

CC CLs and C&CC CS sites are a great resource, a lot cheaper than many commercial sites .. why ban yourself from using them ?

for overnight stops BritStops is also good .. but that also needs a membership ..

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
There is no need to be restricted to 'club' sites.
of course it's not a 'restriction' it's another option-with-benefits if you can make use of them
go to France/Germany ..... far cheaper than rip off Britain.
even if taking travel costs into account? (genuine question - haven't been over [or under] the water yet)

Upvote 0

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
CC for Ferry deals, M6 toll road and CL's. C&CC for their DA's and temporary holidays sites, also their CL's. I have joined the MCC but not really had any benefit so will probably drop. I tried Britstops but not many in my area and any holiday I take I cross the channel. Will rejoin as soon as I retire. ;)

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
even if taking travel costs into account? (genuine question - haven't been over [or under] the water yet)

For short breaks.. no, it's not a cheap or cheaper option.. I wouldn't go for less than two weeks..

The longer you go for, the cheaper 'per day' it becomes.. and where you live in the UK will also affect the overall cost.. a 500ml drive from central Scotland before you hit the ferry adds a lot to the overall cost compared to someone who lives in the SEast

other benefits are generally better weather, less congestion on the roads, more relaxed and friendlier attitude to motorhomes, aires (free in many places) ..

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
For short breaks.. no, it's not a cheap or cheaper option.. I wouldn't go for less than two weeks..

The longer you go for, the cheaper 'per day' it becomes.. and where you live in the UK will also affect the overall cost.. a 500ml drive from central Scotland before you hit the ferry adds a lot to the overall cost compared to someone who lives in the SEast

other benefits are generally better weather, less congestion on the roads, more relaxed and friendlier attitude to motorhomes, aires (free in many places) ..
Thanks @ScotJimland ; I get a bit dizzy when people post a blanket statement that "it's better and cheaper abroad"

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
Forgot to mention We have also "joined" the French Aires and for the first time French Passion.

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
of course it's not a 'restriction' it's another option-with-benefits if you can make use of them

Yep. Say you are going for 14 nights. You can probably get a ferry for £150 return. It is quite feasible to use totally free Aires (including free water and waste discharge) for the whole 2 weeks and visit really nice places, but let's say you pay 5 Euros every other night. So total is 35 Euros, say £30. So total of £180. That equates to less than £13 per night. I suspect you would be hard pushed to pay that little in the UK for camp sites.

And that is not to include the cheaper diesel (we were paying less than 90p per litre in France Spain and Portugal in March/April this year), wine, food and dining out.

Mind you it is easy for us because we live in Kent, so only an hour or so to the ferries or tunnel.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back