Dec 12, 2008
Crystal Palace, London
Funster No
MH
29ft RV
Exp
18 months n counting
My RV is 29ft.
It seems that 28ft is a very popular maximum length at CC sites.
I'm convinced I wouldn't have a problem at any of these sites that I have seen.
Is it worth saying I am a 28 footer? One warden told me that they will get out the tape measure!
Really want to stay at Wyatts Covert but...:Sad:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I've always thought that the 28ft rule was a bit naughty .. as most RVs are more than 28ft .. not that I'm the suspicious type .. :roflmto:

but I guess a line has to be drawn somewhere and no matter what length is set someone will try to bend the rule .. it's human nature ..

back to your case, if it were me, I would go and play dumb, it's extremely difficult to measure the EXACT length of an RV .. and how many wardens have a 10mt tape measure .. come to think of it, how many know how to convert meters to feet :roflmto:

as last resort .. tell him you only know the length which is quoted in US feet and don't know the conversion .. :Cool:

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Looking at the list of sites with specific regulations in the latest handbook (33 out of about 200) I see that many of the restrictions are based on access rather than pitch size - possibly something that the CC can do little about.

I would expect that, whilst some people might be perfectly capable of driving larger vehicles safely in those locations, they have erred on the side of caution knowing that not all would be able to do so. It might well be worth talking to the CC HQ about specific requirements though.

I don't think it would be a good idea to say the length is only 28 feet because of the potential for argument and ill feeling that would ensue. It isn't the wardens who make the decisions so unfair to put them in a difficult position.

You could always upgrade to an 18 footer like ours ::bigsmile:

Graham

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
juliandavies

juliandavies

Free Member
Dec 12, 2008
Crystal Palace, London
Funster No
MH
29ft RV
Exp
18 months n counting
I've always thought that the 28ft rule was a bit naughty .. as most RVs are more than 28ft .. not that I'm the suspicious type .. :roflmto:

but I guess a line has to be drawn somewhere and no matter what length is set someone will try to bend the rule .. it's human nature ..

back to your case, if it were me, I would go and play dumb, it's extremely difficult to measure the EXACT length of an RV .. and how many wardens have a 10mt tape measure .. come to think of it, how many know how to convert meters to feet :roflmto:

as last resort .. tell him you only know the length which is quoted in US feet and don't know the conversion .. :Cool:

thanks
just notice that Wyatts maximum is actually 8.5 metres which is 27.8 feet...so I cant even claim to be a 28 footer - have to claim I'm a 27 footer!:Doh:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
My last unit used to be quite a size but never had any comments from CC wardens.

Seems all very unfair:Doh::RollEyes:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Ah yes John .. totally agree... but this is the CARAVAN club .. not the Motorhome Club :Doh: ... until the CC chairman or whoever the boss is gets an RV it won't change ..:RollEyes:

You see in the background the RV my units dwarfing:roflmto::roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
You see in the background the RV my units dwarfing:

Er John,

I can see the front of the RV level or just in front of your caravan and about 15- 20 feet of the RV BEHIND your caravan.:ROFLMAO:

What sort of dwarfs do they have in your part of the country GIANT ones?? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We have a Hurricane 30q, thats 30ft is'nt it??? Never had a problem on CC sites or in fact any others. Many of the C club sites where 28 ft is specified request a telephone booking as most can accommodate except where access is very tight eg rowntree at York.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Im convinced the Americans measure the inside:ROFLMAO:
Dash to bedroom wall
every model number ive seen seems to equate to 18" less than it actualy is
So your 30Q is probably just a bit short of 31.5 feet:Doh:
so there's your answer qoute your inside legnth:thumb:
Geo

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Er John,

I can see the front of the RV level or just in front of your caravan and about 15- 20 feet of the RV BEHIND your caravan.:ROFLMAO:

What sort of dwarfs do they have in your part of the country GIANT ones?? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Seriously that's another RV behind that one:winky:

But my van was shorter than the first RV

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Just tell em its 28 feet long. Anywhere a 28 footer can go, so can a 30 footer :winky:

I had it with a CL site run by CCC parked on an open field :Eeek:. You cant bring that on here its far to big, they said.

The field had 2 tents on it :Eeek:

I just looked at him, then looked at the field, then looked at him again and asked him if he was joking. ::bigsmile: He let me on with no problems at all :thumb:

S

Spill........

Deleted User
Just speak to the site direct they are usually quite accommodating, we've stayed there a couple of times in 34ish footer the lanes to get in are very tight but manageable, they did say last time though they are looking to restrict RV's as one decided to take out some of the entrance wall and one of the barriers, but as with all CC sites it depends on the site warden at the time of booking :Smile:

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
From our experience of Club sites, no matter what length you told 'em you were, the limit was always one foot shorter!:Doh:
Another good reason to stick to CL's:ROFLMAO::thumb:

Jul 8, 2008
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
c build
Exp
6 yr
hi i would ring site as they have a couple of piches for rv as said before. the lane is a bit tight. but single buse use the lane and turn around in site entry .rd up to site is very bumpe hang on to seat
dave

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back