Documents And Other Things To Carry Abroad. (1 Viewer)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I am getting to the point where I would like to venture over the other side and need to know what IS really required to carry with me. I understand the V5 Certificate of insurance, passports, Medical cards, brathalyser, yellow jackets etc etc but is there a list on here that I can go to as a reference If not I will end up filling the garage with everthing that I think might be needed.
The last time I went to France lorries needed T forms and Carnets but that was along time ago, If I put the Honda in the Garage then I suppose I need to double up on papers for that too.
Anyone willing to point the correct direction to me and do I go left or right or straight on for a maiden trip?

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I'm led to believe that in France you have to carry your Passport on your person as they have a national ID card system. Your EHIC card should be on your person too in case of a medical emergency. We take our MoT certificate along as well as the usual car documents. Hi-vis jackets need to be visible in the cab in France, ie on the back of your seat or on the headrest. You don't need the breathalyser in France as they never got round to making it law, but you need a warning triangle and spare light bulbs. In Spain you need two warning triangles. In some countries you're supposed to have side lights or headlights on at all times but I've lost track of what happens where. If you're carrying bikes in Italy you need the red and white diagonal stripey board on the back of them.

On some campsites they'll ask to keep your passport as security against payment, but a camping 'green card' (CCC do them for £5 if you're a member) can be used as a substitute, and it's handy for discounts in some places.

Some German cities have an emission tax system that requires an Umwelt sticker on your windscreen, although I don't think they go overboard enforcing it on foreign vehicles. If you want to be on the safe side you can get one that lasts forever for £20 if you use a credit/debit card or £12.50 if you pay by cheque. Look up www.tuev-nord.de for info on how to apply - they have an English number you can call (02086 807711) to make payment without having to authorise an expensive international fund transfer.

Carnets still apply in Switzerland - you can get them in advance or buy one at the border.

markh

Free Member
Jun 4, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Lots
Hi vis vests don't need to be visible, just accessible, ie not in the boot, you need a spare set of lightbulbs too, and in Spain a spare pair of glasses if you wear them, oh and a first aid kit too, you'll need the papers for any vehicle you have inc your scoot, take the mot but no one will be interested in it, if you get stopped they'll only want the V5 and your license, insurance cert and European accident report form if the worst happens

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

markh

Free Member
Jun 4, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Lots
You only need a vignette in Switzerland if you want to use the mways, you buy them at the border, you can't buy them in advance, and they are expensive, same applies to Austria, but they are purchased at shops and gas stations, and are cheap

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
You only need a vignette in Switzerland if you want to use the mways, you buy them at the border, you can't buy them in advance, and they are expensive, same applies to Austria, but they are purchased at shops and gas stations, and are cheap
If you are over 3.5 tonnes you need to register and pay at the border for use of all roads, ironically it is cheaper than the vignette, but takes longer, there is a big form to fill in.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
In the last 20 odd years I have been stopped and had my papers and vehicle checked by police in France, Germany, Spain and Portugal and have never, ever been asked to show I had high visibility jackets or first aid kits or spare glasses or spare light bulbs or "breathalysers" on board

I have most of the above on board but my point is don't get your knickers in a twist. I Carry these things because to do so makes sense, not in case I am asked to produce them by foreign police with guns.

JJ :cool:

SandT

Free Member
Oct 15, 2012
Malta
Funster No
MH
Safari Trek
Exp
Breathalysers are not required in France (or any other EU country).

Terry

Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
I have also copies of passports, driving licence, insurance cert, V5 etc. I have also made a credit card size copy of passport and laminated this and use this as ID. Useful at campsites and shopping in Spain. I lock all originals away in safe.

SandT

Free Member
Oct 15, 2012
Malta
Funster No
MH
Safari Trek
Exp
Technically inaccurate, the breathalyser is a requirement, but the fine for non compliance has been postponed indefinitely. Info here:
http://www.iam.org.uk/media-and-research/media-centre/news-archive/20464-dont-forget-your-breathalysers-for-france

Not according to this published May 2015 ..
http://www.thelocal.fr/20130124/france-motorists-drivers-suspends-law-on-breathalyser-tests

Terry

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I've read somewhere that the french have stopped checking for spare bulbs because.......... wait for it..............
Their manufacturers (the french) have designed cars that the headlamp bulbs cannot be changed at the roadside but need the assistance of time in a garage. Therefore you can't DIY

You couldn't make it up

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back